PDA

View Full Version : grinding jigs...

nick brigg
05-30-2007, 11:36 PM
any ideas for a home made jig for a grinder that keeps chisels and plane irons square to the wheel? kinda like the veritas one...but not 70 dollars :)

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-31-2007, 9:16 AM
Many Years ago I thought I needed one but they were too expensive or too flimsy. So, I just learned to hold my hand steady. I was even going to build one in the machine shop but never got around to bothering because as time (not much time either) passed I didn't need it any more.

Jim Becker
05-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Given that your plane irons and chisels shouldn't be seeing the grinder except in the odd instance that reshaping is necessary due to a broken edge, you can usually get by with a simple platform where you either guide the item by hand across the wheel or with a simple sled that holds the object square and glides along the edge of the same platform. Take a look at the Veritas stuff from Lee Valley as examples.

Your regular sharpening is best handled by other means, IMHO, such as water stones, "scary sharp" with abrasive paper on float glass, etc....you don't want to heat the metal on these items. They are not high speed steel and will lose temper very easily on a spinning grinder from frictional heat.

nick brigg
05-31-2007, 12:16 PM
yeah i just have either too many bevels and bellys developping (just outta school, so sue me!) i've really been neglecting the poor guys :(

Bruce Wrenn
05-31-2007, 9:34 PM
Beg, borrow, or steal acopy of Ian Irby's book "Sharpening With Waterstones" He shows a neat system that is based of a 5/8" round steel bar for the rest and a couple of SIMPLE wooden jigs for holding either plane irons, or chisels. I have this system on both my store bought and homemade grinder. Many moons ago there was an article in American Woodworker showing his jigs and tool rest.