PDA

View Full Version : Red Oak for Bench Top?

Rob Will
05-30-2007, 10:48 PM
I hope everybody is not sick of me asking constant questions but SMC is a great place to learn.....so here goes.

I have a fair amount of Red Oak in the barn that has been there for several years. If I joint and plane this rough sawn Red Oak could I use it to make a 3" thick (laminated) bench top?

This lumber is clear and of decent quality but probably not something I would build furniture out of.
Any downside to using Red Oak for a bench top?

Rob

Reg Mitchell
05-30-2007, 10:50 PM
I have one in red and white mixed Rob and have no problems with it
Reg

Rob Will
05-30-2007, 10:56 PM
Do I need to worry about the grain orientation when laminating a 3" thick oak bench top? i.e. placing a QS board next to a flatsawn board?

Thanks,
Rob

Andrew Williams
05-30-2007, 10:58 PM

Rob

Mine is ash, similar grain type to Red Oak. One downside is the fiber structure lends itself to easy flaking off when it is abraded. This means you get a fairly rough surface after a year or so of work. Maple would have worked better but it would also have cost more.

Rob Will
05-30-2007, 11:01 PM
I wonder if any sort of sealer or finish would improve the service life and help keep things smooth?

Rob

Andrew Williams
05-30-2007, 11:06 PM
I wonder if any sort of sealer or finish would improve the service life and help keep things smooth?

Rob

I didn't do much for finish, just 4 coats of Watco. I would rather have a rough surface that is not slippery than one where workpieces are sliding all over the place. Just my personal preference.

Reg Mitchell
05-31-2007, 9:34 AM
Rob I try to get the grain running up and down. Even with my maple top bench the wood moves a bit and dose not stay completely falt. I only used danish oil on it and waxed it later or just befor a glue up so any squeeze out will not stick.
Reg

Jules Dominguez
05-31-2007, 11:52 PM
Red oak is strong, hard and heavy, which is good. However, if you use it, be sure to seal the pores first if you plan to finish with oil (including Watco-type) or oil-based stain. The fibers are hollow, like a drinking straw, and oil will enter the pores and then resurface and dry as hard shiny dots or dark spots of stain.
I don't buy red oak any more, but if I had some, I'd use it, following the above caveat.

Reg Mitchell
06-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Yep, called bleed back. Not a big problem just skuff it with a scotchbrit pad and let er go
Reg

Howard Acheson
06-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Do I need to worry about the grain orientation when laminating a 3" thick oak bench top? i.e. placing a QS board next to a flatsawn board?

Thanks,
Rob

Yes, there is a big difference between the movement in quartersawn and flatsawn. You never want to glue a flatsawn face to a quartersawn face.

Joe Jensen
06-01-2007, 12:34 PM
I hope everybody is not sick of me asking constant questions but SMC is a great place to learn.....so here goes.

I have a fair amount of Red Oak in the barn that has been there for several years. If I joint and plane this rough sawn Red Oak could I use it to make a 3" thick (laminated) bench top?

This lumber is clear and of decent quality but probably not something I would build furniture out of.

Rob

I put red oak edges on my new outfeed table/bench, and I find the red oak edges to be significantly less durable than the maple edges on my old bench. I use a ton of red oak and normally love it, but I will not put red oak edges on a bench that gets abuse again...joe