PDA

View Full Version : New ambrosia maple bowl, need some advice

Nathan Camp
05-30-2007, 9:11 PM
Here is my latest bowl from ambrosia maple.

I had a hard time with this one. Bought the blank, which was suppost to be dry, but wasn't. Roughed it out. Tried to smooth it out, but the more I sanded it, the more the end grain tore out (with the sand paper). Tried some thin CA which caused the end grain to tear out in much bigger chunks.

Turned it down some more. Then dryed it in the microwave. The sand paper was still making the end grain tear out. Fixed the outside with my ROS, but it would not fit on the inside. Sanded as much as I could stand, and after two days of sanding, I decided I could live with the roughness on the inside and the bottom.:o

By the way, I sanded to 600 grit, then moved to micromesh to 12000.

It has 3 coats of Minwax tung oil on it. I still need to hit it again with steel wool (as you can see in the second picture) and put the final coat on and sign it.

By the way, there really is that much color difference beween the ends and the sides (pics 2 and 3).

I've never had this much problem with the end grain before. Any advice?

Thanks,

Nathan

Steve Schlumpf
05-31-2007, 11:05 PM
Nathan, you state that the wood was supposed to be dry but it wasn't. Could you explain a little more on that. Reason I ask is if you are sanding wet wood you are going to have problems getting a nice smooth finish. Also, any chance the wood was a little punky in the area you were having troubles with? I've had problems before with wood that was starting to get punky and nothing I did made a difference - other than to wet sand using the finish as a lube.

Probably not much help but hopefully someone else will assist.

Paul Engle
06-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Steve pretty much sumed it up , I have the same problem with birch and have resigned to let it dry a long time ( 4 months or longer)then try the bg on it then wet sand . Good luck and let us know how it goes with what you try.

Sean Troy
06-01-2007, 1:24 PM
I find when sanding a problem area of end grain, I wet the sand paper in oil, sand to make a slurry and keep rotating the sandpaper and changing it out until the sanding produces no more slurry. By that time the end grain should be smooth. You can also use citrus wax to lube the sandpaper. Always has worked for me.

Nathan Camp
06-01-2007, 10:27 PM
I find when sanding a problem area of end grain, I wet the sand paper in oil, sand to make a slurry and keep rotating the sandpaper and changing it out until the sanding produces no more slurry. By that time the end grain should be smooth. You can also use citrus wax to lube the sandpaper. Always has worked for me.

Thanks, wet sanding never crossed my mind:o . Still learning at this.

Nathan

Bernie Weishapl
06-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Nathan I do like Sean but either use oil or spritz it with some water. Both will work for you. Sometime I rub the oil or spritz water on the offending spot and then take a light cut with a sharp gouge. Most times that will take it out also.