PDA

View Full Version : woodworking withdrawal

Steven Triggs
05-30-2007, 8:29 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm having withdrawal from woodworking. I've been building my shop instead of using my shop for too long.

I installed a couple of cross brace 1x4s in the stud cavity below my sub-panel to provide a place to staple the cables to. Notice in the close-up picture how I attached the cross brace.

Andrew Williams
05-30-2007, 8:34 PM
definite withdrawal symptom. I prescribe two units of Shaker and one Federal STAT

Gary Keedwell
05-30-2007, 9:31 PM
:D Isn't that how you supposed to do it?:confused:
Gary K.

John Schreiber
05-31-2007, 12:37 AM
What grit did you sand that down to? I suggest a garnet shellac as the best finish there.

Jim C Bradley
05-31-2007, 12:56 AM
Hi,
You gave me the second belly laugh of the day. Both of them from SMC.
Enjoy,
Jim

Steven Triggs
05-31-2007, 7:45 AM
What grit did you sand that down to? I suggest a garnet shellac as the best finish there.

I was thinking about using walnut and then just clear-coating it with lacquer. However, I decided I didn't want the chore of nailing the romex staples into hardwood.:D

Brad Townsend
05-31-2007, 9:34 AM
Isn't there some way you could have used a Festool Domino?

Don Bullock
05-31-2007, 9:41 AM
A sign of a "true craftsman!":D

Randy Denby
05-31-2007, 9:48 AM
Hah! Last summer, I was installing a copper lineset (A/C) for a customer down an outside wall.His home perimeter was all heavy metal studs. I needed some way to secure the lineset in the middle of the cavity.....short story long :)...I did the same thing. The customer...was like WOW! It gave him ideas for other things. ...and I didnt charge him extra:D

Jim Becker
05-31-2007, 10:18 AM
What's really funny to me is that just this morning I was day-dreaming about needing blocking in the one wall of the "multipurpose room" in our upcoming addition to support a wall mounted flat screen TV. My mind actually showed pocket screws (with glue) used to mount said blocking... :D

Doug Shepard
05-31-2007, 11:40 AM
... I've been building my shop instead of using my shop for too long.

I feel your pain. Getting tired of working on my DC installation and can't wait to have a real reason to turn it on.

Steven Triggs
05-31-2007, 12:51 PM
...to support a wall mounted flat screen TV. My mind actually showed pocket screws (with glue) used to mount said blocking... :D

I opted not to use glue. I decided the screws were probably enough for the weight of the wires.:)

Rob Bodenschatz
05-31-2007, 1:03 PM
I opted not to use glue. I decided the screws were probably enough for the weight of the wires.:)

Slacker.

:D:D:D

Kim Spence
06-01-2007, 12:45 AM
Nice Work Steven! Perhaps next time hand cut half blind dovetails would be a bit stronger?

I built a screened porch addition on my house last summer and I pretty much pocket screwed the whole dang thing together. Lets just say the building inspector commented that he had never seen that before...as he signed off on the final permit inspection!!

Hope you get the shop wrapped up and back to woodworking soon!!

Kim

Jeff Raymond
06-01-2007, 10:45 AM
I'm new here, so I shouldn't be kidding, experienced, venerable members, so please forgive me (you'll get used to it).

If you use cocabola for shop framing, you will only have to do it once. :D