PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to see at least 1 piece from everyone please.

Bill Wyko
05-30-2007, 7:36 PM
I'm not asking for favorites or someone elses but a picture of any piece you've made and a little story to go with it. (I'm board and I wanna look a some wood work):D

Jude Kingery
05-30-2007, 7:43 PM
If I did this correctly (questionable as I've never posted pictures here before) you should see a throw top on the left, a toothpick holder in the middle and a Robusta platter on the right. We'll find out! Jude

Obviously I'll have to read up on how to post pictures! Oops, but nice of you to ask all the same! Jude

Bill Wyko
05-30-2007, 7:49 PM
Check the size of the pic. That's usually why they don't show up.;)

Bill Wyko
05-30-2007, 7:55 PM
Here's a pic of the alien and a pic of the one I made for my Mom for mothers day. (Not in that order) I think most of you have seen them before though.

Jude Kingery
05-30-2007, 7:58 PM
Ok, let's try this again - thank you Bill - that apparently seems to have been the problem; again I'll see! Thanks! Jude

Mike A. Smith
05-30-2007, 11:01 PM
here are two 'firsts'. I had just got my first lathe (about 7 weeks ago). I had to wait three weeks before I could even assemble it due to job issues. I had nothing but flat lumber in the shop and a few dowels. After playing with the dowels and finding out I could make round things smaller, then finding I could make square things round, I ordered some blanks. I could not wait to turn something else (I'm sure everyone here knows how that is).

So I cut off a piece of 2x6 and turned my very first bowl with a spindle gouge (first picture). I had seen some segmented work on the web and read and article on it. I decided to put together some rings (all the same size) and see what it looked like. Scrap select pine with a red oak bottom (second picture).

Not things I would normally show anyone, but I'm laid up in bed with a bad back right now and I'm bored too.

I just noticed that earlier I wrote 'first' lathe. Geez, you guys have already infected me! The vortex pulls...

Neal Addy
05-30-2007, 11:56 PM
Here's a piece I don't think I've shown here. It's an Aussie wood called "White Top" (a variety of Eucy). The lid and finial are a single piece of Ebony with an inlaid donut ring of the base wood. 5"W x 6"H (w/ finial). Turned about September '06 I believe.

Not much of a story really, except that it was fun to turn. Very stable and held together well despite it's appearance. The finial is one of my favorite designs. I call it "Teardrop in a Cup".

Mike A. Smith
05-31-2007, 12:10 AM
Neal, this is gorgeous. Just curious, how big is it?

Greg Savage
05-31-2007, 8:11 AM
Neal...Are you sure that is White Top?....I have about 600lbs of the stuff and none of it looks like that.....It looks more like Red Gum.

BTW...Nice piece!

Neal Addy
05-31-2007, 8:48 AM
I agree that it doesn't look like typical WT. I'm just going by what it was sold as. It came from 'LeeTree' who knows his Aussie woods pretty well.

Jim Becker
05-31-2007, 10:04 AM
Pics and story... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14221

Ron Sardo
05-31-2007, 3:44 PM
Check out my site, I have a few pics you can look at

www.simplyturning.com (http://www.simplyturning.com)

Bill Wyko
05-31-2007, 4:26 PM
Very nice Ron. I hope you're posting regularly.:) Yo do some very elegant work.

joe greiner
06-01-2007, 6:17 AM
OK. Here's a couple pieces. (assuming I don't butcher the upload!)

The box is cedar with white birch in a "celtic knot" pattern. Two inches diameter and 3 3/4" high. I didn't know what it was called when I made it about a year ago. The cedar is laminated closet-lining strips, and the white birch is tongue depressors (3 across each). The blank is made by successively cutting and gluing in the birch pieces - total of four cycles. The alignment went a little off because I used huge gluing cauls on the outside; this increased the cutting effort to the extent that my cuts wandered a little. (Hand cut in a miter box.) The inserted strips were sanded to match the kerf of the saw.

I turned the burnt ring bowl last week. Sweet gum. Five inches diameter and 1 3/4" high. Taut-wire burning works best on outside cyclindrical surfaces. The wire tends to skid on non-cyclindrical, and obviously can't work at all on the top face or the interior. For everything, I used the outside of the elbow on a dental pick, with about 3/8" contact; jammed the pick between the tool rest and the bowl - somewhat scary, but no mishaps.

Joe

Dick Durbin
06-01-2007, 9:10 AM
I don't have a light box yet, but here are some pieces I like:

http://home.comcast.net/~olebiker/MonkeyBusiness1.JPG

I don't know what the wood is since I just found a piece while fishing. The bark looks like American Hornbeam.

Patrick Taylor
06-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Here's a beech enclosed form I did a month or two ago. It was a crotch piece with a nice bark inclusion. First it was finished with Danish oil and wipe-on poly. I didn't like the poly, so I sanded it off and finished it with DO again and then buffed and applied carnuba. Roughly 6" across.

Sean Troy
06-01-2007, 11:03 AM
My first try at carving on a bowl a few years ago.

Bill Wyko
06-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks everyone, Everything looks fantastic. Keep em' comming.:)

Joash Boyton
06-01-2007, 7:40 PM
Here are a few of mine I randomly picked out

2 Platters -- Marri

1 vase -- Camphor Laurel

Jarrah Hollow Form -- Rippled Jarrah, with the top covered in burl

Sugergum box, burn rim in the middle, and around the top. Camphor and cypress lid

Lots of nice work on this thread:)

EDIT: Forgot a story did'nt I?:o

The platter on the left, I actually turned for a competition, in USA when I'm in AU. I entered 3 pieces, the other 2 made it in, but this one did'nt. All thos fuzzy lines running through it, are *3-D* ripples. As you can see on the right side of it, it has some *defects* the "blade" on it, made for some very carefull sanding---lol....but I still was'nt carefull enough! :eek: nother story.

Not really any story, just a bit of history :)

Bill Wyko
06-01-2007, 7:47 PM
Very, Very nice work there Joash. I'm impressed. You must have been turning a long time. Feel free to post more.:)

Joash Boyton
06-01-2007, 8:39 PM
Actually, I've only been turning for around 3-4 yrs, since I only started when I was 11. I am 15 yrs old now.

Here is a picture of the hollow Form. It actually has *no* base - it rounds off completely underneath. It also has a slight rise in the lip. I don't have a proper profile shot right now. And a burnt rim. oh! and it's very thin 1/10"

One of my fav pieces right now

11x4" 1/10" thin, shellawax cream polish, sanded to 2500 G

Thanx for looking

Bill Wyko
06-01-2007, 8:43 PM
You've got skills! I'm glad to see someone your age with that kind of attention to detail. I believe you'll go far with your abilities. Never give it up what ever you do. Again, great job. I think I can speak for everyone here. Keep em comming.

Bobby Perry
06-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Here is a pen I did with the heart of a cedar tree. The picture doesn't show it but it has a lot more redish color to it.

Also a cartriage pen I made for my wifes nephew for graduation, engraved. On the other side of the clip is this picture of Elk.