PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet doors..

Joe Chritz
05-30-2007, 6:40 PM
or specifically the gap between them.

In doing a couple bases with a 1/2" gap between doors how would you tackle the gap. I have been making a filler that is a tad shorter than the opening and attaching it to the back of one door. It works well but always leaves the filler proud of the face frame a tad. Mostly because of the hinges and bumpers. Nobody but me seems to mind however there has to be another way.

Short of building the filler with a large rabbit so it sits flush is there another easier way I am not thinking of?

Thanks

Joe

Steve Clardy
05-30-2007, 6:43 PM
Hi Joe.

Wondering why you have a 1/2" gap between double doors?

Jay Keller
05-30-2007, 6:43 PM
or specifically the gap between them.

In doing a couple bases with a 1/2" gap between doors how would you tackle the gap. I have been making a filler that is a tad shorter than the opening and attaching it to the back of one door. It works well but always leaves the filler proud of the face frame a tad. Mostly because of the hinges and bumpers. Nobody but me seems to mind however there has to be another way.

Short of building the filler with a large rabbit so it sits flush is there another easier way I am not thinking of?

Thanks

Joe
Using Euro hinges have a lot of adjustment that would probably, if gap is between 2 facing doors, be adjusted out. Otherwise some 3/16 shim along each the edge the between hinge and faceframe to move doors closer together

Joe Chritz
05-31-2007, 10:07 PM
The doors have a 1/2 gap because there is a center stile and that is the gap that was requested. I have mine set the same way in my kitchen (also at "customers" request). The current kitchen I am doing is face frame construction with 1/8 between double doors and no center stile so this isn't an issue with this one.

What I was doing is attaching a false stile so to speak to the back of one door. I have not been able to come up with a better solution that would allow me to keep the gap at 1/2 and have wood behind the opening.

I am thinking about a slight chamfer on the top of the piece to camo the interchange. I attached a picture of how I did my pantry as I think I was a bit confusing.

Thanks

Joe

Steve Clardy
06-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Been mulling this over and haven't thought of a different way to do it.

With your pictures, now I understand the gap, spacing.