PDA

View Full Version : New tool Gloat

Scott Thornton
05-30-2007, 6:25 PM
I placed an order today for a new bandsaw and jointer / planer.

After much deliberation, research and thought...

I ordered the MiniMax FS30 with the mortising attachment and the MM16 bandsaw. Both came with some nice accessories and mobility kits. I am extremely excited about this purchase...now I just have to wait for my machines to be made and sent over.

My next thing on my list to have to start saving for a new tablesaw. I'm working on selling my Rojek and probably going to get either a SawStop or a MM or Hammer saw/shaper combo...have to sell mine first though...I really like the safety features of the SawStop, but after owning a slider, don't know what I'd do without one...decisions, decisions...

This is an investment year in my woodworking hobby...maybe I'll have to sell a couple pieces I make to pay for some stuff!;)

Jim Grill
05-30-2007, 6:53 PM
That's awesome.

I know how it feels to wait. I can't think straight or get any work done while I'm waiting for an exciting delivery - and that sounds like one heck of an exciting delivery.

Mark Carlson
05-30-2007, 7:33 PM
Scott,

Good choice. A MM jointer/planer is what I want. How long do you have to wait?

~mark

Scott Thornton
05-30-2007, 7:47 PM
Around 45 - 60 days for manufactuing and shipping. If you read the FWW review, this one was rated best. MM owners all seem to love their machines, so when this one went on sale, I couldn't resist. It came down to this and the Hammer (2nd place in review). However, after shipping and tax, they came out to the same price, so it was a no brainer to get the better machine...

Tim Armstrong
05-30-2007, 9:44 PM
Scott - did you order off the website or was this a 'negotiated' sale price with a rep? Just wondering about the ordering process. I think this is way outside of my league but when you add up the price of getting some nice individual units, I suppose it makes sense. So, I'll think/dream about it a bit here. Also, do you feel like you are giving up anything buy going this route over getting seperate machines and maybe more planer capacity?

Steve knight
05-30-2007, 10:06 PM
not a gloat unless you got a great deal.

Jim Becker
05-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Congratulations! I think you'll like your new machines once they arrive. And I can appreciate the slider thing now that I own one...I wouldn't go back, even being a novice slider user at this point!

Scott Thornton
05-30-2007, 10:31 PM
Scott - did you order off the website or was this a 'negotiated' sale price with a rep? Just wondering about the ordering process. I think this is way outside of my league but when you add up the price of getting some nice individual units, I suppose it makes sense. So, I'll think/dream about it a bit here. Also, do you feel like you are giving up anything buy going this route over getting seperate machines and maybe more planer capacity?

Kind of both...I started on the web, researched, got literature etc. Once you request info from the company you get a rep. The guy I worked with is one of the guys you see on their website doing demos, really great to work with. His name is Sam Blasco.

Scott Thornton
05-30-2007, 10:34 PM
Congratulations! I think you'll like your new machines once they arrive. And I can appreciate the slider thing now that I own one...I wouldn't go back, even being a novice slider user at this point!

Jim, you have a MM slider don't you? My Rojek isn't a format, I think I would like the format better. I have seen and handled a SawStop though and that is quite a machine...on top of the obvious safety factor, it is the best cabinet saw I have seen. I sure do like the idea of knowing if my hand ever was in a spot it wasn't supposed to, a bandaid would be all I need instead of having the nickname nubbie from my wife!

Jim Becker
05-30-2007, 10:38 PM
Yes, I bought the S316WS in December...there is a big long thread with 61 pictures of it's "arrival" here at SMC. If you're anywhere near SE PA, you're welcome to come see it sometime.

And I had a nice meal with Mr. Blasco (and Michael Kahn) last week when I was in San Antonio. Sam's an incredible nice person, not to mention a true craftsman.

Don Bullock
05-31-2007, 12:12 AM
Scott, congratulations on your pending new equipment. Both of those machines are fantastic from what I've seen and read.

I can understand the difficult decision you're facing on the saw. Both seem to be excellent choices. Since I'm very comfortable and know how to work safely using a table saw, I went with the SawStop. I figured at my age learning to use a slider was not the best for me. I'm just not familiar with them and how to use them, so for me the learning curve would have been steep. As you said, "...on top of the obvious safety factor, it is the best cabinet saw I have seen." It's the best one I;ve seen as well. For me the real clencher was that my wife, after viewing some of the videos on the SawStop site, told me to get one. If you are already used to using a slider, perhaps a slider would be just as safe for you.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-31-2007, 9:18 AM
Good for you~!!

I have the Hammer slider and JP and I like 'em rather well.