PDA

View Full Version : New saw, new jigs....

Andrew Williams
05-30-2007, 6:25 PM
One of the downsides of getting a new table saw is you have to re-jig everything. I suppose the folks who have euro-sliders don't have as much of this issue...

New outfeed table. I built the table yesterday but time ran out so today I finished up with routing the dadoes for the miter slots. It's not a deep table but I don't really want to give up any more floor space and I still have the roller.

After the table was done I had to make a new crosscut sled. I usually just use the miter gauge for smaller work so one of the reasons I wanted a new larger TS was the ability to handle a larger sled. This one is roughly the size of the Sawstop table (44X30).

A word of warning: I bought two 2'x4' pieces of MDF at Home Depot. I usually don't buy their MDF but had to go there for the melamine anyway and really did not want to hitch up my trailer and buy a full sheet. After building the whole thing, the two pieces of "3/4" MDF turned out to be different thicknesses!!! I've never experienced this before and I can assure you that there is not a 4-letter word that went unsaid this afternoon. Having spent way too much time and money already I decided to try and make it work. The solution was to use 90 pound tag paper (I use this for music copying), glued together into 4-thick shims, and glued to the MDF using 3M 77. I can't stand such a fiddly fix for something that never should have been an issue in the first place! Nevertheless (and with it taking 2 extra hours) I got the thing aligned and smooth. The longest fiddle was my own issue: Getting such a large fence to square up. I had to do so many test cuts I thought I would run out of plywood scraps! Anyhoo, the thing seems to work well now, and passes the "5-cut" test (well, sorta).

glenn bradley
05-30-2007, 7:11 PM
That's a good size. You'll get a lot of use outta that sled. I make my fences adjustable (I know, now I tell you).

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=50581

If you're like me the sled will get used alot.