PDA

View Full Version : 12 watt systems?

Robin Liles
01-07-2004, 5:16 PM
I don't know much about laser engravers except what I have read here. I saw on ebay 12 watt systems and was wondering what something like that could do. for instance could it engrave wood very well? Anyway thanks for any comments about it. This engraving thing may be something that I would like to explore further.

Keith Outten
01-07-2004, 6:52 PM
Robin,

I'm not sure how practical a 12 watt system would be. I looked at my engraving sheet and there are very few materials that I engrave at such a low power setting. If you slowed the speed down to componsate for the power it would be so slow that production work would not be possible. Cutting anything other than paper would also be impractical.

Most of the major vendors use 25 watt power supplies in their lowest powered machines. Maybe these machines are made for a specific purpose like etching printed circuit boards.

Robin Liles
01-07-2004, 8:45 PM
Thanks Keith,
One more question, I know on most machines there are parts that wear out and have to be replaced on a regular basis , is that true with laser engravers? If so what parts and what kind of cost are we talking about, if it's possible to give a rough estimate?
Again thanks for the information.
Robin

Keith Outten
01-08-2004, 3:35 AM
Epilog says that their machines will require major maintenance in the 10 to 20 thousand hour time frame. I believe that this would include a new or rebuilt CO2 tube, I understand that a tube will cost approximately $2500.

Universal tubes are much cheaper, I have heard that they are about $800.