View Full Version : New Guy, Lots of questions

Joe Denney
05-30-2007, 4:31 PM
Hi all. I am a genuine noob to woodworking, having grown up with no shop classes or anyone I know who works wood. I am taking the Foundational Course at the Center for Essential Education near Waco, TX in October. In preparation for the class, I am planning on building a bench based on Bob and Dave's Good, Fast and Cheap bench plans, putting together a basic hand tool kit of 3-4 planes, chisels, and handsaws and learning to sharpen these tools. I am converting most of my old single car garage to a Neader shop.

My first question is on finishing a wall in my garage. It is the wall shared with the house and is currently unfinished with large mortar blocks labeled "Acme Partition Tile". I would like to finish this wall with 3/4" plywood so I can hang tools, etc from the wall, since I am so short on space. Whats the best way to attach the plywood?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Ryan Cathey
05-30-2007, 5:05 PM
Well, welocme to the Creek first off!! For attaching the plywood I once saw Norm do it by attaching cleats to the walls using masonry screws then just nailing/gluing/screwing or whatever the plywood to the cleats.

Martin Shupe
05-30-2007, 5:13 PM
I have no idea about your wall, but I have heard the Waco school is good, so I'd like to hear a report about your experience there.

Welcome aboard.

Terry Bigelow
05-30-2007, 5:25 PM
I'm not sure what "partition tile" is but sounds like you need anchors. If it's hollow inside the block(if that;s what it is) use hollow wall anchors if not use solid wall anchors. I'd use some pretty long and heavy duty ones and I'd use some constuction adhesive as well just to be safe. Mark a plumb line on the wall where the edge of the ply will be, then drill your anchor holes spaced out to your needs, measure from the plumb line over and from the top or bottom to each hole and transfer your measurements to the back of your plywood and screw and glue! This is coming from a guy who hangs cabinets every day and that's how we do it(except we hit studs of course) so there may be someone else who has a better way. Works good for us and is pretty fast. By the way if there is a way to get the studs that would be the preferred way but I'd still use the adhesive too.
Oh, also WELCOME to the creek! Lot's of nice folks here and a wealth of knowledge.

John Goodridge
05-30-2007, 11:30 PM
Regarding the partition tile, it may be gypsum block as well. It was used in the past to build non load bearing walls. The blocks were often 12"x12" by about 4" thick. They were put together using plaster as mortar and then the wall was plastered for a finished surface. The blocks are fairly soft. Try to scratch the wall with an awl or something. If it is gypsum block you can make a groove pretty easily. If it is hard, it is likely something else. Either way you are looking at anchors as stated before. If you run the plywood all the way to the floor, the plywood itself can take a big part of the load.

Martin, The foundation class in Waco can be taken as a one week class or broken down as one 1 day and two 3 classes. I have taken the first two classes in the sequence. The entire place is like a step out of reality. It is wonderful. I enjoyed the classes. The classes are solely hand tool focused which is a bit uncommon. It is nice that it is within a commutable distance for me. If you go stop in at the deli. They have wonderful food. The community there has a fall festival on Labor day weekend. I have not been; but plan to go this year. I have heard it is pretty cool, especially if you have kids.

Joe Denney
06-01-2007, 9:06 PM
Thanks to all for the responses. I'll have some time this weekend to see if the blocks are hollow or not and then determine anchor types. I'll let you all know when I get the walls up and can start on the bench (my next project).