PDA

View Full Version : Source for stainless steel ruler blanks

Allan Wright
05-30-2007, 2:40 PM
One of the first projects I'd like to do with my laser after getting it set up and doing sample cuts is making some custome stainess steel rulers. I'd like to mark everything myself as the measurements I want to use aren't standard, they're for a scale application so I want to make custom markings.

Does anyone know of a source for blank stainless steel rulers in 12" or 18" lengths? I'm aware I'll have to strip them to bare metal and apply cermark to get them to laser. Unless I'm lucky enough to find someone that sells them pre-cermarked, but that would be almost too good to be true.

Joe Pelonio
05-30-2007, 4:24 PM
One of the first projects I'd like to do with my laser after getting it set up and doing sample cuts is making some custome stainess steel rulers. I'd like to mark everything myself as the measurements I want to use aren't standard, they're for a scale application so I want to make custom markings.

Does anyone know of a source for blank stainless steel rulers in 12" or 18" lengths? I'm aware I'll have to strip them to bare metal and apply cermark to get them to laser. Unless I'm lucky enough to find someone that sells them pre-cermarked, but that would be almost too good to be true.
I've never seen that before. I just ordered some because I wear out the screenprinted lettering and they become useless, plus I get edge wear from using them to cut. This place will custome make them, maybe they'll sell you blanks?

http://www.schlenkent.com/flexible_stainless_steel_rulers.htm

Dave Jones
05-30-2007, 5:41 PM
Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and in the left side type in "blank". Then go down the list and select Stainless Steel Blanks (or perhaps a different material).

Then in the page that comes up you are given a lot of choices to narrow it down. I'd suggest first selecting the length, then the width, then from the choices left choose a thickness. The reason for that is at certain lengths and widths only a few thicknesses are available. If you select a thickness first it may not be available in the length and width you want, but a similar thickness might be (but won't show since you already picked a thickness). So I think it's best to go in the order of length, then width, then thickness.

Allan Wright
05-31-2007, 7:57 AM
Part number 8457K41 looks like it will do nicely. Thanks for the tip!

Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and in the left side type in "blank". Then go down the list and select Stainless Steel Blanks (or perhaps a different material).

Then in the page that comes up you are given a lot of choices to narrow it down. I'd suggest first selecting the length, then the width, then from the choices left choose a thickness. The reason for that is at certain lengths and widths only a few thicknesses are available. If you select a thickness first it may not be available in the length and width you want, but a similar thickness might be (but won't show since you already picked a thickness). So I think it's best to go in the order of length, then width, then thickness.

Scott Shepherd
05-31-2007, 9:44 AM
Sorry, didn't see some info in the description. Disregard this :)

Bill Cunningham
05-31-2007, 10:17 PM
Just about any sheet metal jobshop can shear cut stainless strips in any size you want, a little buffing, a strip of cork on the back to grip the surface, and your off...

AL Ursich
05-31-2007, 10:41 PM
Why not just buy stainless rulers and put your custom scale factor design on the back? Dual Function, unique to your work.

Like the little girl sitting in a car stuck in traffic looking at the truck stuck in the tunnel entrance at a NYC crossing. Everyone scratching their heads as to how to get the truck "Unstuck".... The girl said, "Let the air out of the tirers"....

AL