PDA

View Full Version : Article in AAW Magazine

Scott Greaves
01-07-2004, 4:04 PM
As many of you know I got a couple of articles published about penturning in the current issue of the AAW Journal, the American Woodturner.

While I encourage everybody to join the AAW and get their magazine, I realized that many people do not have that oportunity right now. I have asked the AAW for permission to post a PDF copy of that article on a website so that everybody could take a look at it. For the first time ever, I am told, they agreed!

I figured the best palce to post it would be on the website for the International Association of Penturners, which is a new site and has lots of space for something like this. If you would like to take a look, use the link below, then click on featured article.

Take care!

Scott Greaves.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/portal.asp

Noah Alkinburgh
01-07-2004, 4:12 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have been wanting to read this since I heard it came out.

Noah

PS I think you can attatch the PDF right to your post just like a picture and people can get it from there.

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
01-07-2004, 4:29 PM
As many of you know I got a couple of articles published about penturning in the current issue of the AAW Journal, the American Woodturner.

Scott Greaves.

I'd recommend this article for anyone, even if you don't turn pens. It's entertaining and informative. Very well done and kudo's to Scott!

Ron

Chris Padilla
01-07-2004, 4:49 PM
See if this works for accessing the PDF directly:

http://www.penturners.org/content/aaw-winter03-36-41pens.pdf

I have to admit that I've never ever thought much about pen turning but it sure looks like fun and let's face it, the cost for exotic expensive materials (woods, plastics, whatever) is minimal for a 'lil ol' pen, right?

All those "cut-off" bins at the hardwood store have a plethora of cheap exotics!

Nice article.

Chris

Scott Greaves
01-07-2004, 7:14 PM
I have to admit that I've never ever thought much about pen turning but it sure looks like fun and let's face it, the cost for exotic expensive materials (woods, plastics, whatever) is minimal for a 'lil ol' pen, right?

All those "cut-off" bins at the hardwood store have a plethora of cheap exotics!

Thanks Chris! The link worked just fine for me.

You have hit on one of the nicest things about penturning. When all you need is a pen blank, you can afford to use some of the most amazing woods!

That article also got us the cover of the magazine, so I'm going to try to post a PDF of the cover with this message. Thanks for the suggestion, Noah!

Scott.

Chris Padilla
01-07-2004, 7:35 PM
That article also got us the cover of the magazine, so I'm going to try to post a PDF of the cover with this message. Thanks for the suggestion, Noah!

Scott.

Scott,

I do not think that will work. For starters, you need to be able to strip a page out of the PDF file and you need full-blown Adobe to do that.

Second, it will still be a PDF and not a graphic file like a .jpg or.gif so it still won't post.

I did a screenshot of it for you and converted it to .jpg:

http://members.roadfly.com/agent99/scottscoverpage.jpg

Rick Prevett
01-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Scott, thanks to you and your post, I'm sure this new penturners site will now have a large influx of new viewers/members. This is just the kind of boost that a newly launched site needs. Best of luck to them.

rick
p.s. - Read your article in AAW when it was published, great job!

Ken Salisbury
01-08-2004, 5:28 PM
Scott,

Great article - Thanks

</p>Now that you are famous "published" person I need to treat you with more respect :D :D.

Scott Greaves
01-08-2004, 7:24 PM
Now that you are famous "published" person I need to treat you with more respect :D :D.

BULL! :D :D

Scott.

David Rose
01-08-2004, 8:41 PM
Thanks Scott. My Dad will eat this up. Makes me wish... just a teeny bit... that I was turning.

David

Bob Lasley
01-09-2004, 12:03 AM
Scott,

Great article! I'm not much of a turner, but enjoyed it all the same. You guys sure turn out some cool pens.

Bob