PDA

View Full Version : Lathe chatter

Bob Glenn
05-30-2007, 9:51 AM
I turn legs and stretchers for my Windsor chairs out of green maple. I am constantly getting a swirling ripple effect on the legs when I take the final cuts. I am turning billets about 20 inches long and I don't seem to have problem until I turn down to my smallest diameter, one inch. The turning speed is 1000 RPM. I know it should be up around 2500 or 3000, but I am using a metal lathe that I have modified for wood.

After I rough out the billet, it is smooth going. I tried leaving the turning in the middle of the spindle until last, holding my hand at the back of the work will cutting, and turning at different speeds.

I don't want to go to a steady rest if I don't have to. Any suggestions?

Jim Becker
05-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Unfortunately, you really do need a stead rest based on your description of the problem. The uneven density of the wood is going to cause "whipping" when you get below a certain diameter as you have found out. You can build a spindle steady pretty inexpensively with two roller-blade wheels and some scrap. It still engages the spindle from the back so that there is limited interference with turning when it's in use. (I have the OneWay spindle steady and found it absolutely necessary when I was turning chair spindles a few years ago)

Bob Glenn
05-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks Jim,

I was afraid that was going to be the answer. I was hoping to find a solution without adding one more thing to fiddle with.

Bob

Bill Wyko
05-30-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm not sure which post it was but someone here made a steady rest from plywood and it looks real solid. You might start a thread and ask who made it. Good luck.:)

Bob Way
05-30-2007, 7:23 PM
A steady rest would help, but I'd also take a look at the tools. Scrapers, or dull tools will tend to deflect the wood rather than cut it. The presentation of the tool to the work piece can do the same thing. I'm sure you know all that, but I sometimes find myself forgetting, or overlooking, the little things. Hope it works out for you.