PDA

View Full Version : Wilke Machinery Going Out Business!

Dan Lautner
05-30-2007, 2:33 AM
Rumor has it that they will no longer be selling machines. If true I advise anyone that has placed an order with them to canel the order and call your credit card company ASAP.

Dan

Dave MacArthur
05-30-2007, 2:57 AM
Bummer! After reading everything I could find here and elsewhere on the web, I had decided on buying one of their bandsaws...

Russ Filtz
05-30-2007, 7:59 AM
If true I advise anyone that has placed an order with them to cancel the order and call your credit card company ASAP.

Dan

You're supposed to do that AFTER you take delivery! just kidding :p

Bob Aquino
05-30-2007, 8:04 AM
Rumor has it that they will no longer be selling machines. If true I advise anyone that has placed an order with them to canel the order and call your credit card company ASAP.

Dan
:( You don't cut much slack do you? Instead of jumping to conclusions, maybe a call to the company to verify their status if you are contemplating an order would be a good idea? Haven't we seen how much damage unsubstantiated information can do over the last few years?

Curt Harms
05-30-2007, 8:21 AM
:( You don't cut much slack do you? Instead of jumping to conclusions, maybe a call to the company to verify their status if you are contemplating an order would be a good idea? Haven't we seen how much damage unsubstantiated information can do over the last few years?[/quote]

I agree with Bob. I'd need more than an unsubstantiated rumor to base any buying decision on.

Curt

Brad Townsend
05-30-2007, 9:48 AM
:( You don't cut much slack do you? Instead of jumping to conclusions, maybe a call to the company to verify their status if you are contemplating an order would be a good idea? Haven't we seen how much damage unsubstantiated information can do over the last few years?[/quote]
There are a couple of postings with firsthand information on another forum that are very convincing. It sounds like more than just rumor. I would post a link, but not sure if that would be allowed.

Jameel Abraham
05-30-2007, 9:57 AM
I'm dealing with Curt Wilke right now about my bandsaw problem (bought it in February), and he confirmed that they will no longer be selling machines. He said they will be open for service and repair though. So, no more Bridgewood/Yorkcraft I guess. Would have been nice if they had told me that when inquiring about other machines these past months, instead of the getting the "not sure when new stock will be arriving". But that wasn't Curt that told me that so.....

Anyways, looks like they are selling some machines on ebay. They have a 16" jointer up now that going for a song. Very tempting.......

Dan Lautner
05-30-2007, 11:58 AM
My original post was edited. Wilke had a lot of loyal customers that did not deserve to be treated like this. If you have bought anything from them in the last several months, I would try to get a full refund. Call your Credit Card company and tell them you were lied to and you want to return the equipment. If you are stuck with any Wilke stuff, good luck finding parts and service. What a pathetic way for a company to treat their customers.

Dan

Dick Sylvan
05-30-2007, 12:17 PM
Dan,
Don't get so excited! Wilke is probably quitting the machinery importing business because they are not making any money, not because they are trying to treat their customers badly. If you want to blame someone let's talk about Amazon. In the last few weeks, I have seen a number of specials where they were offering name brand tools at way under the market price, and probably less than cost. And you know that you aren't going to get any service out of them!!! BTW, I own a Bridgewood jointer that I have been very pleased with.

John Schreiber
05-30-2007, 12:19 PM
My original post was edited. Wilke had a lot of loyal customers that did not deserve to be treated like this. If you have bought anything from them in the last several months, I would try to get a full refund. Call your Credit Card company and tell them you were lied to and you want to return the equipment. If you are stuck with any Wilke stuff, good luck finding parts and service. What a pathetic way for a company to treat their customers.
I don't understand.

Do you think a company should never change their product lines? Do their machines become worthless when they stop selling them? Are they going to void warranties?

It's too bad, but I don't understand why this is a tragedy.

David Weaver
05-30-2007, 12:24 PM
I agree - there's a difference between something being a "shame" and something being a "tragedy".

What's going on here just seems more like how change is affected.

Nobody is buying new DeSoto cars, or new Huber tractors, right? Maybe they'll be the "Porter" jointers in the future.

I agree that Amazon has to be hard on other retailers, but I'm as guilty as anyone by buying their deal items - several things that I wouldn't have otherwise purchased.

Dan Lautner
05-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Dick, I have not bought anything from them but have always been told they were a good company. For months they have had an empty show room and telling customers they are waiting for new shipments while selling equiptment at regular prices. Most people would not have bought the equipment at those prices if they new Wilke would be going out of business.
They should have been up front with the customers and told them we are liquidating and cut the prices. Bridgewood and Yorkcraft have been dead for months and they sold the last stuff at full price with a straight face.

Dan

Cody Colston
05-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Haven't we seen how much damage unsubstantiated information can do over the last few years?

You wouldn't be trying to make a political statement, would you Bob?

M Toupin
05-30-2007, 12:44 PM
Do their machines become worthless when they stop selling them?

Yep John, that's how it works...

As a public service to all woodworkers everywhere I'll take all those old useless junk machines you got sitting in your shops. I'd even take the really junky ones from companies that don't exist anymore like those Walker-Turners, Olivers, Delta/Milwaukee, delta/Rockwell, State and all those other out of production ones like that nasty old green powermatic stuff:D.

Companies come and go, there's no guarantee any company will be in business next month, much less 10 years from now.

Mike

Steve Rowe
05-30-2007, 1:47 PM
Dick, I have not bought anything from them but have always been told they were a good company. For months they have had an empty show room and telling customers they are waiting for new shipments while selling equiptment at regular prices. Most people would not have bought the equipment at those prices if they new Wilke would be going out of business.
They should have been up front with the customers and told them we are liquidating and cut the prices. Bridgewood and Yorkcraft have been dead for months and they sold the last stuff at full price with a straight face.

Dan
So?? - you badmouth a company for which you have no firsthand experiences and no possible damages for equipment which you did not purchase. I purchased machinery from Wilke as early as 1985 and as late as 2003 and have nothing but praise for their equipment and service. They are the only company that I am aware that actually setup and tested their equipment (Bridgewood) before shipment. If Wilke is indeed going out of business, it is a sad loss for the woodworking community but, being a privately owned company, it is their decision whether to discontinue operations or not. BTW in 20+ years of ownership of Bridgewood equipment, I have never needed any repair parts. It is ashamed that an "ignore user" option is not available on this forum to filter threads like this.
Steve

Art King
05-30-2007, 2:04 PM
I am an owner of a Bridgewood PBS 440 bandsaw. I would rush out tomorrow to buy it again even if it will no longer be sold or serviced.
BTW I have absolutely no repect for people who write posts like this based on rumor or worse.
Regards,
Art

Ken Werner
05-30-2007, 2:38 PM
Steve, go to your user control panel, and choose ignore list, you can add anyone there whose posts you wish not to see.
[hopefully my name won't be there]
Ken

Bruce Benjamin
05-30-2007, 2:57 PM
My problem with this would be that if I had bought something from them and it needed parts a year or two down the road, would I be out of luck? There's no guarantee that that any company will be around supplying parts for ever of course. But if I were in the market for a new jointer within the last few months and I decided on theirs over Sunhill, (This was the exact case about 1.5 years ago) I wouldn't be too happy about it. The two jointers I was choosing between were very close in my mind. The choice would've been a lot easier had I known that one of the two choices wouldn't be around to supply parts in the near future. I went with the Sunhill and I'm happy with it. They could go out of business too. I'd be just as screwed but I'd be angry with Sunhill if they hadn't given me the info to help with my decision. Any company has the right to go out of business without notice to anyone. But a company that has such a long history of good customer service didn't do any of it's last customers much of a service by keeping this info from them in my opinion. They knew that if they told people that they were closing up shop then they probably would not be able to sell off the rest of their stock without drastic discounts. Smart move on their part but not very nice in my opinion. Oh well, that's business. Hopefully there will still be parts available for a long while for those who need them. Buyer beware, I guess.

Bruce

Jim Becker
05-30-2007, 3:30 PM
Folks, let's all try to discuss this nicely.

Jim
SMC Moderator
--------------------

In the event that Wilke would be unable to supply replacement parts in the future, I tend to doubt that it would cause too much problem as they have been selling "standard" stuff--made to spec, but not unusual or uncommon. In most cases, I suspect that parts from other vendors would be suitable replacements.

Despite not being a customer of Wilke, I'm saddened by their need to leave the equipment supply business, but that's what it is...a business. Sometimes you have to make difficult decisions. There are any number of both good and bad reasons that sales may have continued despite lack of product availability if that was in fact the case. Hopefully, anyone who ordered during that period of time is made/kept whole...and also did business with a credit card should there be an issue with non-performance.

Jeffrey Schronce
05-30-2007, 4:05 PM
I burned out my BW cyclone motor last week. Was about 6 months old. They replaced the motor while I waited for about 30 -45 minutes. Great service.

Dan Lautner
05-30-2007, 4:54 PM
"So?? - you badmouth a company for which you have no firsthand experiences...."

Yes I am bad mouthing them. They have been lying to customers for months now.

"That is really interesting. I have been pondering this for months. I mean they have absolutely NOTHING in stock in the showroom or warehouse.
No PBS BS, no jointers, no planers, no DC, nothing.
I was there last week having a BW Cyclone motor repaired and I overheard them assure two customers they were not going out of business , that everything was on back order. I tended to doubt it, but no reason to think he was lying. I did note that there were only 3 employee vehicles in the lot.
As far as deals, like I said they are pretty much wiped out right now to begin with. "

A quote from a former customer

Tom Henderson2
05-30-2007, 5:40 PM
For months they have had an empty show room and telling customers they are waiting for new shipments while selling equiptment at regular prices. Most people would not have bought the equipment at those prices if they new Wilke would be going out of business.
Dan

I agree that some folks may not have purchased from them had they known what was going to happen. But it may not be as sinister as you suggest.

Often, things like this happen when contracts can't be renewed, or financing falls through. So it may very well be that they were working like crazy behind the scenes to renew their contracts with manufacturers, or obtain financing necessary to continue importing, etc. In the end they were unsuccessful.

And I suspect the employees didn't know what was happening; that they were told the equipment was backordered, etc.

Anybody that has a deposit or has paid for a machine certainly should expect to either recieve the machine they contracted for or get a full refund, and promptly. But it sounds to me like Wilke is a stand-up business and I expect they will stand behind their customers.

Just my $0.02.

Steve Rowe
05-30-2007, 5:49 PM
Steve, go to your user control panel, and choose ignore list, you can add anyone there whose posts you wish not to see.
[hopefully my name won't be there]
Ken
Thanks Ken. Actually, no ones name was there since I did not know it existed. There is one name there now and it isn't yours.
Steve

Al Willits
05-30-2007, 6:16 PM
"""""""
So, no more Bridgewood/Yorkcraft I guess
""""""

Just wondering, are they the only ones selling Bridgewood and Yorkcraft?

Al

Jude Kingery
05-30-2007, 6:31 PM
While I guess it's nice to have a place from which to order a replacement part now and then, I never buy a machine or tool, from grinder to chain saw to lathe to bandsaw - whatever - on the basis of the service department. I usually buy good quality (or cheap if that suits the use) and most of the time actually don't need the service department. We generally do our own tune ups, maintenance and so on. If something breaks, we try to fix it. Most times that works - and of course, sometimes not, ha!

But I'd look at any closing of a store or discontinuation of a line of hardware goods as a golden opportunity to evaluate quality/price of items - and maybe shop to buy a few things! Might have some real good deals! Doesn't matter what store nor company, I'd be interested in perusing the tool and machine sales for sure.

Jude

Ed Falis
05-30-2007, 6:32 PM
I think they were, Al, as those brands were their own labels for what they imported. I have their tablesaw, and was always happy with it and with their service. I'm glad to hear they're keeping the service part of the business around, though I don't expect to need any anytime soon. Not too bent out of shape personally - I'm still using a Foley-Belsaw planer without any issues.

And I'm with Jude about looking for bargains.

M Toupin
05-30-2007, 7:12 PM
Dick, I have not bought anything from them but have always been told they were a good company.

For someone who claims to not have a horse in the race you sure are making it a crusade to badmouth Wilke with second hand information (at best). How about you get some first hand information from Wilke and let us know what the "official" statement/reasoning is. You know, sometimes, just because you read it internet doesn't make it true or even accurate.

Mike

Greg Peterson
05-30-2007, 7:34 PM
+1 what Jim said.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but I do find it disappointing none the less. I'd like to think that someone else will step in to fill the void in the marketplace, but my cynical side is unwillingly to believe this.

Regardless, there is little value in berating a company. I'm sure there are folks (customers) that are unhappy about this situation and no doubt their reasons vary widely. I'll leave it to the stakeholders to give voice to their concerns.

Jake Helmboldt
05-30-2007, 10:42 PM
According to Jameel's post they still intend to service and repair product. And as Jim noted, given that they are not even the manufacturer, parts availability shouldn't be a problem even in the event they stopped doing the service and repair stuff.

Who knows what all the details are regarding when and why they chose to stop importing. They may have been negotiating pricing and finally said "screw it" and threw in the towel. Or maybe they wanted to get full price knowing that they were clearing inventory. Again, none of us know, so how bout stopping the bad-mouthing based on pure speculation, especially if you didn't suffer directly. Did they take anyone's money and not deliver the product?

Ray Dockrey
05-30-2007, 10:58 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if somebody else didn't pickup the lines. Wasn't Wilke just a distributor for them? It would make sense that some large company would pick them up.

Andrew Williams
05-30-2007, 11:01 PM
I thought that Bridgewood and Yorkcraft are both brand names owned by Wilke. The machines are probably very similar to, or even identical to, other Chiwanese imports. Perhaps one could use Grizzly parts or something.

Mike Heidrick
05-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Dan,
Don't get so excited! Wilke is probably quitting the machinery importing business because they are not making any money, not because they are trying to treat their customers badly. If you want to blame someone let's talk about Amazon. In the last few weeks, I have seen a number of specials where they were offering name brand tools at way under the market price, and probably less than cost. And you know that you aren't going to get any service out of them!!! BTW, I own a Bridgewood jointer that I have been very pleased with.

Not sure why you would expect service out of Amazon - they are not the manufacturer of the product. Of the Delta deals I have purchased lately B&D/Delta honors the warranty issues as Amazon is an authorized Delta reseller.

I am still not sure how Amazon has sold some of their big Delta products at the prices they have been advertising lately but it makes a guy wake up. My shop is a new shop because of those "sales?".

As to Wilke closing, that is sad news. Their products seem to be top notch. Some of their import models are just that, and parts should be available on them for years to come as many of the machines are very similar. Truth is though that most of their big tools will never need service beyond the occasional blades and belts and all owners of these tools probably realize that.

If I was in negotiations with Wilke on future in play orders I would be a bit piqued as to the state of my order. That would require a call to Wilke first though and not straight to my CC company. That is just how I do business I guess.

Bruce Benjamin
05-30-2007, 11:42 PM
According to Jameel's post they still intend to service and repair product. And as Jim noted, given that they are not even the manufacturer, parts availability shouldn't be a problem even in the event they stopped doing the service and repair stuff.

Who do you know in Chaiwanese tool factories? It's not like they bought all of their parts through a catalog we all have access to. Who would you contact if Wilke no longer has a replacement part for your jointer or bandsaw? Apparently they haven't been doing so well business-wise lately so how likely is it that they will continue to be able to provide parts and for how long? Other brands might fit or they might not.

Who knows what all the details are regarding when and why they chose to stop importing. They may have been negotiating pricing and finally said "screw it" and threw in the towel. Or maybe they wanted to get full price knowing that they were clearing inventory. Again, none of us know, so how bout stopping the bad-mouthing based on pure speculation, especially if you didn't suffer directly. Did they take anyone's money and not deliver the product?

You're doing a lot of speculating yourself. You're just guessing at parts availability and the reason why they're closing up shop but you're complaining about others doing the same thing. And we don't yet know if they've taken anybody's money without delivering the product.

I don't, "Have a dog in this fight" but if the only people who ever commented on various threads on this forum were those who did, this would be a very quite WW forum. Suggesting that only those who do seems pretty silly considering the history of this and just about every other WW forum I've ever seen. It's all open to discussion. It seems that just about every week or so there's another thread where someone is asking about if they should complain to a company or if they got ripped off or whatever. These threads swell to capacity, including posts from numerous moderators, with opinions from people who have no other interest except that they read this forum. That's how forums work.

Bruce

Brad Naylor
05-31-2007, 4:06 AM
I'm over in England and so nothing of any of the parties involved, but it is an interesting thread nontheless.

Dan seems to be upset because the company he was considering doing business with didn't tell him that they were on the verge of going bust.

Get real , Dan!

When your company is in that situation you will do almost anything to keep things going. After all, your livelihood and quite possibly your home and personal assets are at stake. Customer confidence is everything so even in the depths of despair you put a smile on your face and assure everyone that all is well.

Imagine that you are a pro kitchen cabinet maker whose business is struggling. You've put your life and soul into this place but it's been going wrong. Debts mounting, no work, stress at home; then a couple walk into your shop and want you to build them a $30,000 kitchen. They are happy to write you a deposit cheque of $15,000 there and then.

What do you do? Explain to them that your business is technically insolvent and that you were planning on calling in the liquidator on Monday? Or get their signiture and dance a jig as their car drives away fom the shop?

See? It's not as simple as you make out.

Most business people are fundementally honest and all business people are eternal optomists. Nobody imagines they are going to fail, and will always believe that something will come along to save their struggling company.

Often it doesn't. The tragedy then is usually for the business owner and his family.

End of the day, its up to the customer to do their research and homework.

Caveat emptor

Cheers
Brad

Jeffrey Makiel
05-31-2007, 7:19 AM
OK...It's time to show my age! :)

Here's a list of defunct importers. Please feel free to add to it.

Total Shop
Transpower
AMT
Enlon
Star
Reliant

However, there is good news in the Asian import market. Rikon seems to be growing, and now there's Steel City Tools. Plus Grizzly always seems to be expanding their offerings, as well as the Powermatic/JET/Performax line up from the WMH Group. Most of these importers are now moving past generic models and importing some unique equipment.

Most of the machines in my shop are almost 20 years old. A couple of them are on the list of defunct importers shown above. They are pretty basic (jointer, sander, bandsaw, etc.). I've never had a unique part break even though the quality of some of my machines are suspect. As far as normal wearing parts, the bearings, motors and blades are pretty standard items (except for the radial arm saw motor). Even so, most of the high wear parts will probably last 2 of my lifetimes given my hobby duty use. Besides, I'm not sure if access to parts from the original importer is that important given the generic nature of many import machines.

-Jeff :)

Curt Harms
05-31-2007, 8:40 AM
The only Bridgewood product I have is a 6" jointer and I'm not concerned about replacing any parts if the need arises--The cutterhead is the only thing MAY be odd and I doubt that. If I had a 6 spindle molder I or gang saw I might be a little more concerned. If anyone had one of their magazines, the hobby type machines were a small part of their offering. Wilke offered some industrial planers, molders etc. I'd be concerned that some of the components on these are not so generic. I'd also be hoping Wilke stays in the service business and can get parts. I wonder if they're a victim of the weak dollar.

Curt

Jim Becker
05-31-2007, 10:20 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if somebody else didn't pickup the lines. Wasn't Wilke just a distributor for them? It would make sense that some large company would pick them up.

The Bridgewood and Yorkcraft names were "house brands" for Wilke.

Rod Sheridan
05-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Jeff , you missed one of the largest importers of Asian machinery, Delta.

It's sad to see a supplier drop a machinery line, however I would presume that if the line was profitable they would have kept it.

Regards, Rod.

John Lucas
05-31-2007, 4:21 PM
... It is ashamed that an "ignore user" option is not available on this forum to filter threads like this.
SteveAgree but it should be "ignorant user."

Jim Becker
05-31-2007, 5:33 PM
One more time folks... Discuss. Debate. Disagree. But don't personally abuse. That's a no-no...and will cause either editing of the thread or it's removal. Last warning.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Jake Helmboldt
06-04-2007, 11:31 PM
You're doing a lot of speculating yourself. You're just guessing at parts availability and the reason why they're closing up shop but you're complaining about others doing the same thing. And we don't yet know if they've taken anybody's money without delivering the product.

I don't, "Have a dog in this fight" but if the only people who ever commented on various threads on this forum were those who did, this would be a very quite WW forum. Suggesting that only those who do seems pretty silly considering the history of this and just about every other WW forum I've ever seen. It's all open to discussion. It seems that just about every week or so there's another thread where someone is asking about if they should complain to a company or if they got ripped off or whatever. These threads swell to capacity, including posts from numerous moderators, with opinions from people who have no other interest except that they read this forum. That's how forums work.

Bruce

Bruce, if you want to quote me, then quote me in context; I said it was inappropriate to badmouth based on pure speculation. Nor did I say that only people "with a dog in the fight" should be able to comment. After having looked through various sources I determined that it appeared that the situation was much more benign that Dan made it out to be and that people shouldn't make defamatory statements w/out knowing the facts. That was my point, no more no less. Do you think it is appropriate to latch onto a rumor and start badmouthing someone based upon that questionable info?

As it turns out Curt Wilke apparently ran into irreconcilable differences with the importer and decided to call it quits on the import business. Apparently he was anticipating shipments of product that he never received; hence the empty showroom and assurances that stock was coming in.

And after reading your post apparently you haven't read the thread; they are not closing up shop. They are no longer importing product but are selling existing brands (non-house brands) and providing service and repairs.

Dan Lautner
06-04-2007, 11:42 PM
"As it turns out Curt Wilke apparently ran into irreconcilable differences with the importer and decided to call it quits on the import business. Apparently he was anticipating shipments of product that he never received; hence the empty showroom and assurances that stock was coming in"

That is a lame excuse and I call that "GOING OUT OF BUSINESS" not quiting the import business. They are a small company and don't make their own stuff so without importing they are done.

Dan

John Hain
06-05-2007, 12:49 AM
It's too bad. I don't own any of the Wilke products, but I sure respect the name.

I'm having a hard time figuring out where Wilke treated anyone poorly........

Bruce Benjamin
06-05-2007, 1:10 AM
As it turns out Curt Wilke apparently ran into irreconcilable differences with the importer and decided to call it quits on the import business. Apparently he was anticipating shipments of product that he never received; hence the empty showroom and assurances that stock was coming in.

You got this information from whom? Mr. Wilke or someone else? Has he decided to give you the straight poop now even though before he was telling people, or allowing his employees to tell people that they were waiting for shipments. To me it's kind of hard to swallow that he didn't see this coming as his showroom emptied down to nothing. Believe what you want.

And after reading your post apparently you haven't read the thread; they are not closing up shop. They are no longer importing product but are selling existing brands (non-house brands) and providing service and repairs.

Oooohhh...They're still in business selling non-house brands...From the empty showroom...Right. Thanks for clearing that up. I did read every post in the thread. I've read in several posts, including in your own post, that they have an empty showroom. I also read that according to Mr. Wilke they're only going to be providing a parts and repair service. For how long? Probably not much of a living doing that. Considering what their business was and what it might be now, I'd call that going out of business. You can call it anything you want. Nobody cares what I think but I'm not sure I'd believe everything that a desperate business owner says considering he has already been at least less that straight forward with customers and potential customers. But, who cares, right?

Bruce

Dan Lautner
06-05-2007, 2:30 AM
"Oooohhh...They're still in business selling non-house brands...From the empty showroom...Right. Thanks for clearing that up. I did read every post in the thread. I've read in several posts, including in your own post, that they have an empty showroom. I also read that according to Mr. Wilke they're only going to be providing a parts and repair service. For how long? Probably not much of a living doing that. Considering what their business was and what it might be now, I'd call that going out of business. You can call it anything you want. Nobody cares what I think but I'm not sure I'd believe everything that a desperate business owner says considering he has already been at least less that straight forward with customers and potential customers. But, who cares, right?"

AMEN Now lets talk about companies that have some good product to
sell us.

Dan

Matt Meiser
06-05-2007, 10:50 AM
It's too bad. I don't own any of the Wilke products, but I sure respect the name.

I'm having a hard time figuring out where Wilke treated anyone poorly........

Agreed. If Wilke did anything wrong here, then so did Pentair when they sold Delta/Porter Cable to Black and Decker who promptly discontinued massive quantities of service parts.

Folks can be mad all they want about someone going out of buisiness or changing their buisness model or whatever, but unless you own the company, its really not up to you. As previously said, even if they knew there was a potential major problem continuing business, what business owner i their right mind would have disclosed it--that's a sure way to kill the business.

Wilke, just like any other company I know of is in business to make money. Serving your pleasure is just how they do that, and if they aren't going to make money doing so, they aren't going to stay in business.

Bruce Benjamin
06-05-2007, 12:06 PM
As previously said, even if they knew there was a potential major problem continuing business, what business owner i their right mind would have disclosed it--that's a sure way to kill the business.

So you really believe that even as the showroom floor inventory was reduced to a few pieces here and there and then nothing that Mr. Wilke thought that he could pull it out of the nose dive? I believe he knew about it and kept it to himself.

Stores have going-out-of-business sales all the time. Are none of them in their right mind? Everything is discounted until all of the stock is sold off and then they close their doors. There's frequently some sort of disclaimer that says, "All sales are final" or something to that effect. Years ago I bought a leather recliner from a furniture store going out of business. I got a great deal on the chair but within a year the reclining mechanism failed. It was a real pain in the @$$ to get the chair fixed because I couldn't just take it back to the store for warranty service. I had to contact the manufacturer directly. They eventually sent me the parts but it was really inconvenient. I wouldn't have bought the chair from them for full price because I knew that getting service if something went wrong wouldn't be easy. This is exactly why I'm glad I didn't buy anything from Wilke. How long are they going to be around to service anything that goes wrong?

Wilke certainly had the legal right to not tell anyone they were really going out of business, (or at least changing their business significantly) and this was a way to get top dollar for tools that they would have had to discount if they had been up front with their customers. They have that right, certainly. But I also have to right to be of the opinion that it wasn't giving their customers the same good and honest service that they had built a reputation of doing. I also have the right to whine about it on a thread that's specifically about them.

Bruce

Al Willits
06-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Don't know if I have a dog in this fight or not, but I do own a Yorkcraft jointer and planer from them, and other than a confusing section of their planer manual, I've been very happy with them.
They've helped me over the phone decide which units to buy, gave me the correct info on price and shipping and delivered the units on time.
In fact they talked me out of the fancy cutting head for either unit, telling me they cut very well in stock form, and they were right.

I'm a happy camper with them, and more disapointed than anything else that there no longer selling these units.

Al

Greg Mann
06-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Years ago I bought a leather recliner from a furniture store going out of business. I got a great deal on the chair but within a year the reclining mechanism failed. It was a real pain in the @$$ to get the chair fixed because I couldn't just take it back to the store for warranty service.

Wilke certainly had the legal right to not tell anyone they were really going out of business, (or at least changing their business significantly) and this was a way to get top dollar for tools that they would have had to discount if they had been up front with their customers. They have that right, certainly. But I also have to right to be of the opinion that it wasn't giving their customers the same good and honest service that they had built a reputation of doing. I also have the right to whine about it on a thread that's specifically about them.

Bruce

It seems you had a bad experience when someone told you they were going out of business and now you are unhappy when someone doesn't tell you. I hope you are fortunate enough to never be confronted with such a Solomon's choice.

Greg Funk
06-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Stores have going-out-of-business sales all the time. Are none of them in their right mind? Everything is discounted until all of the stock is sold off and then they close their doors.

Bruce
You make it sound as if the discounts offered in a "going out of business" sale are some kind of magnanimous gesture of goodwill to loyal customers. That is complete nonsense. The only reason a business or store discounts its product is to sell it faster, likely because they are in a distress situation and they need the cash.

I've yet to hear of a customer who didn't receive good value in a transaction. I can't understand all the whining about a business owner not sharing private details of his future business plans. Do you think Sony should share all the products in their R&D pipeline or might that impair their ability to sell existing, less feature-rich, products?

Greg

Phil Thien
06-05-2007, 12:51 PM
So you really believe that even as the showroom floor inventory was reduced to a few pieces here and there and then nothing that Mr. Wilke thought that he could pull it out of the nose dive?

I haven't really been following this thread and I have some time to kill because my next appointment is late. But the scenario you've painted happens all the time. Sometimes it is a matter of financing falling through at the last minute. Sometimes the factory lets you know at the last minute that they are taking over that end of the business.

There are a lot of entirely legitimate explanations for their actions.

Finally, those "going out of business" sales are mostly shams. I've seen stores that were actually closing order more inventory from the factory because the "going out of business" sale is doing so well!

Wes Bischel
06-05-2007, 1:05 PM
I guess I'm missing the point here. If Wilke has been dishonest, I don't see how. They have said they will no longer sell machines, but will focus on service. For someone who has purchased one of their machines, it sounds like there will be no change if anyone needs warranty or other work in the future. Naturally this has yet to be seen, but we have no reason to believe otherwise. If Wilke were going out of business and could no longer stand behind their warranty etc., then there would be an issue with dishonesty.
But since they will continue to be an entity that can be contacted etc., what seems to be the problem? Is it that there is an assumption that they will go out of business, or that they are lying about that? I am not attempting to stir the pot, but I really cannot see what has stirred such ire.

Wes

Matt Meiser
06-05-2007, 2:27 PM
So you really believe that even as the showroom floor inventory was reduced to a few pieces here and there and then nothing that Mr. Wilke thought that he could pull it out of the nose dive? I believe he knew about it and kept it to himself.

Based on my past experience with Curt as well reading about numerous others who have been treated fairly, I prefer to believe that he is acting honestly this time as well.

Richard Niemiec
06-05-2007, 5:00 PM
What Wes said.

Further, this is America, last time I noticed, and absent a specific contractual obligation, nobody is required to stay in business, nor required to tell you in advance they are discontinuing availability of previously offered product. Nor are they required to sell goods at a steep discount to clear inventory.

And here, Wilke is willing to continue service. What else could a former customer reasonably expect, an egg in their beer? As someone else commented, lots of resellers have discontinued product lines. It happens, its business.

Just my very humble, but capitalist, opinion. RN

Ed Falis
06-05-2007, 5:08 PM
Well, it's not really even a capitalist opinion - just common sense. I own a Bridgewood TS and am not concerned by this change. But hey, we all need some entertainment, and if some of you guys want to get excited for that reason, do it. I do the same thing myself, despite my better judgment most of the times.

Bruce Benjamin
06-05-2007, 7:56 PM
Finally, those "going out of business" sales are mostly shams. I've seen stores that were actually closing order more inventory from the factory because the "going out of business" sale is doing so well!

Really? Most of them are shams? I sure haven't seen that to be the case in any of the places where I have lived. I don't recall ever seeing what you described.

Bruce

Bruce Benjamin
06-05-2007, 8:09 PM
What Wes said.

Further, this is America, last time I noticed, and absent a specific contractual obligation, nobody is required to stay in business, nor required to tell you in advance they are discontinuing availability of previously offered product. Nor are they required to sell goods at a steep discount to clear inventory.

I don't recall anyone suggesting that they are required to do anything. But it's my opinion that they weren't being very honest with their customers. People complain all the time about the bad customer service at Home Depot and other stores on this forum but since this is America, HD isn't required to provide good customer service nor is any other store. That doesn't keep people from complaining about it, just like with this case. Since this is America, aren't I allowed to complain about something if I don't think it's right? When you bring up the freedom in America thing you have to remember that it goes in quite a few different directions, not just the direction that fits your need to make a point.

For what it's worth, I'm a veteran, I vote, pay my taxes, obey the law, (most of the time) and I'm nice to my mother. I consider myself a good American and I don't feel any twinge of guilt because I choose to publicly disagree with anyone's business practices.

Bruce

Dan Lautner
06-05-2007, 9:30 PM
They were telling walk in customers they were waiting on a large shipment. Did the boat sink on the way from china? They were selling machines as new with new product warranties. I would not want to count on a bridgewood warranty 6 or 12 months down the line. Perhaps legally what they did is not fraud but dishonest? I think so

Dan

Jim Becker
06-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Let's move on for now. This thread is closed to further posting. If any new, substantiated, information becomes available, a new thread can be created to discuss it.

Jim
SMC Moderator