PDA

View Full Version : Request for comments and suggestions

Al Navas
05-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks for looking!

This is an entertainment center I am currently designing; it is still a work-in-progress (a WIP). Still playing around with the following:

1. Crown molding. As you can see, I have used three different styles, to see which one works best.

2. Will use MDF core alder ply for the main box construction, and hard wood knotty alder for the solid wood - doors, etc.

3. The client will use this system primarily to store the TV, and all the audio and video components.

4. The system is designed to go into a corner near a HUGE, double sliding door system.

5. The side cabinets will hold knick knacks on the shelves, and will provide cd/DVD storage in the compartments with the doors.

6. The top cabinet will hold some more audio and video stuff.

I apreciate your comments and suggestions. Thank-you all!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Sandal_Woods/Entertainment%20center/FullEntertainmentcenterconcept-8-sm.jpg

Pat Germain
05-29-2007, 11:01 PM
Since you asked, Al, I personally think it would look much nicer if the doors on the bottom matched the doors on the top. The doors up top are very sharp while the doors on the bottom are just OK. I don't know if this would be practical, but I think it would look better. If you want to mask whatever is stored at the bottom, you could use frosted or "antique" glass.

Some hardwood "breadboard" edges on the front of the shelves would really add punch to an already very nice design. Not sure if that's in the budget; just a suggestion.

Overall it's a pretty swell E-center.

Gary Keedwell
05-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Nice design. I like the molding to the extreme right best. Don't know why but it looks cleaner. IMHO

Gary K.

Mark Rios
05-30-2007, 1:49 AM
Maybe the drawing isn't to scale but.......

scaling the size of the AV componants to the lower drawers and doors, the TV is too high. The center of that size screen should be at about eye level.

jmo

Al Navas
05-30-2007, 8:21 AM
Thanks for the nice comments and suggestions!

Sometimes it is very helpful to step back, request advice, and then incorporate changes to include changes as possible. I will do just that, and see where it takes this unit.

Thanks for looking!

John Schreiber
05-30-2007, 9:02 AM
Nice design and especially a nice rendering. What did you use for that?

To my eye, it looks visually top heavy. The details of the molding and the glass doors near the top really appeal, but the base is in a more austere stile.

My 2 cents and glad for the opportunity to discuss a project in process.

Al Navas
05-30-2007, 9:05 AM
Nice design and especially a nice rendering. What did you use for that? ...
Thanks, John!

I use eCabinet Systems software. It sure simplifies the design process!

Keith Webster
05-30-2007, 9:11 AM
I have built atleast 20 entertainment centers for my customers. Each and everyone always came back and wished that they had allowed me to build it bigger for todays tvs. Make sure that if this is going to be in the main area that they will be watching tv that you build it big enough to handle atleast a 47'' flat screen. This is the smallest I would build it for.

Nancy Laird
05-30-2007, 9:53 AM
Al, we designed and built a very similar center--ours was for the bedroom and we put the TV up high to keep from having to look through toes to see the screen. I like the moulding on the left, and I like the style of the top doors. One suggestion I would make is to use glass shelves in the side cabinets rather than solid wood ones. And yes, I'd made the TV section wide enough for one of today's flat screens. We made ours to fit our TV and now we can never buy a larger one!!

Nancy

jeremy levine
05-30-2007, 10:00 AM
I have a similar system ( purchased not built ) but I have to say the area just under the screen is not that useful. I have a vcr there but it is not really that great, the tapes can get stuck behind the vcr, the vcr itself does not really fill the void so there is dead space on the sides. The best use of the space would probably be for a center channel speaker but most people place them above the screen.
I like the rest of the design.

Chuck Lenz
05-30-2007, 10:14 AM
( The client will use this system primarily to store the TV, and all the audio and video components. ) I guess I don't understand why your not asking the client what he or she wants. We can all tell you what we think we like, but that may differ from what your client wants. We aren't paying for it, they are. Other than that, it looks good to me.

Nancy Laird
05-30-2007, 11:18 AM
( The client will use this system primarily to store the TV, and all the audio and video components. ) I guess I don't understand why your not asking the client what he or she wants. We can all tell you what we think we like, but that may differ from what your client wants. We aren't paying for it, they are. Other than that, it looks good to me.

Looks like he is trying to get ideas from others so he can present several to the client--it seems that the client has already indicated in some fashion what he/she wants, and Al is just trying out some different design ideas for the client's review and selection.

I, for one, am happy to help Al reach the result he's looking for and help him get this commission. After all, several minds are sometimes better than only one.

Just my .02.

Nancy

Jim Becker
05-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Overall, the design is fine, although I don't prefer the extra partitions around the TV area. I agree with the comment about making the two lowest doors the same way as the two top doors if you go with this design. And that opening should probably be proportional to the aspect ratio of the display rather than more square as it is.

If a flat screen is involved it may be a good idea to consider alternate designs, too, that don't take on the heavy and deep look that entertainment centers have had for a long time--largely due to the physical size of the A/V equipment and in particular the monitor/TV. Flat screens often just don't look good in them. The trend is for a lighter look more in line with the sleek look of the screen.

Chuck Lenz
05-30-2007, 4:33 PM
Well my point is as woodworkers we need to be more concerned about what the prospective buyer wants, not what we want or like, unless it affects the function of the end result, and even then it should still be explained and worked out with the customer. For instance, the top molding. 6 out 10 in here may prefer one molding out of the three, that doesn't mean the buyer will prefer it.

Jim Becker
05-30-2007, 5:42 PM
Chuck, I somewhat agree with you, but also feel that having options to present to the customer makes for more opportunity to ask, "Why?" so that you can help the customer refine the design so that it's in line with what they want (not always the same as what they originally request... ;) ) and something that is doable for an acceptable price. I think that's what Al is trying to identify by socializing the design with us...some talking points.

Ben Grunow
05-31-2007, 10:56 PM
Maybe more of a brake front design with a continuous edge detail that divides the upper and lower halves (nose/cove etc.) plus allows the piece to be made in a top and bottom for transport. The upper could be 16" deep in the middle and 12" for the sides to keep the middle of the unit looking more massive like the current design.

Think about ventilation for all those components. A cable box makes some serious heat and it should be let out of a cabinet. Convection will do it, just provide a path.