PDA

View Full Version : Goblet (Critique requested)

Ron Erickson
05-29-2007, 9:49 PM
This is a cherry goblet with captured rings. It is 6 1/2" tall and 2 1/2" in diameter. The finish is antique oil with min-wax varnish. I think the cup should have been deeper and the rings are too bulky. This is my first posting with my new light tent. What do you think?
Ron

Joe Scarfo
05-29-2007, 10:49 PM
I think it's great... and would absolutely love to try something like that....

I gotta ask, how did you do the rings?

What would you finish it with if it's going to be used often with dinner? I'm considering something more of a "water glass" scale. Wider, deeper, and shorter stem. What would you finish it with if it's going to be used for water, milk, and juices?

Thanks
Joe

Mike A. Smith
05-29-2007, 11:05 PM
Very nice Ron! I haven't done a goblem before so I'm no expert, but I like what I see.

The picture look good too. I just set up my light tent last weekend, makes a world of difference.

Kevin McPeek
05-29-2007, 11:35 PM
First of all, it's a great piece.
I feel the proportions of the cup to the stem are spot on, and while the rings are a great accent and show of workmanship, I agree they are a little bulky. They draw my eye right to them and make me skip right over the great beading and graceful taper of the stem.
Is there any detail on the base? I would like to see some detail there that would thin the base a little.
The image is very nice and clear. I think if it were exposed a little more the color and grain may show more prominantly.
I really like the overall look piece, I'd be proud to own it.

Gary DeWitt
05-30-2007, 1:59 AM
I like it overall too. How about if the rings were somewhere between the thickness at the narrowest point of the upper stem and the lower? Since this is probably a display only piece, there's no concern over the strength of the rings against splitting...

The pic is quite evenly lit but feels a bit underexposed, that's a white background, isn't it? If you have exposure controls on your camera, you could probably open it up a full stop without blowing out the background. Otherwise, a professional looking shot.

Ron Erickson
05-30-2007, 7:53 AM
I think it's great... and would absolutely love to try something like that....

I gotta ask, how did you do the rings?

What would you finish it with if it's going to be used often with dinner? I'm considering something more of a "water glass" scale. Wider, deeper, and shorter stem. What would you finish it with if it's going to be used for water, milk, and juices?

Thanks
Joe
Joe, you turn the rings from the wood around the stem, then brake one of the rings with the grain and glue it back together.
For a finish I have a ice cream bowl that I use every day it has 6 coats of minwax wipe on varnish, maybe somone else has a beter idea. Ron

Mark Cothren
05-30-2007, 9:02 AM
I have never turned a goblet and I don't have any critique to offer. But I know that I think this looks good to me. Nice work!

Ken LaSota
05-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Ron very nice. my only comment I think would be to shorten the stem with that size cup.
KEn

Bernie Weishapl
05-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Ron that is a great looking goblet. Love the double rings. I would maybe shorten the stem slightly but other than that it looks great.

Mark Pruitt
05-30-2007, 2:55 PM
The cup looks just fine. The rings could have been a bit smaller, but I can appreciate them nonetheless. Very nice goblet.

Curt Fuller
05-30-2007, 9:07 PM
That's a beautiful goblet! I think everything about it is just about perfect, the cup shape and size, the stem and base are all great. It also has a very nice finish. I've turned quite a few goblets and I'm curious how you were able to break and spread those rings to interlock them. That's the main reason I turn mine thinner is to be able to carefully break them without using enough force to destroy them. That's really a nice goblet though!

Ron Erickson
05-30-2007, 10:13 PM
That's a beautiful goblet! I think everything about it is just about perfect, the cup shape and size, the stem and base are all great. It also has a very nice finish. I've turned quite a few goblets and I'm curious how you were able to break and spread those rings to interlock them. That's the main reason I turn mine thinner is to be able to carefully break them without using enough force to destroy them. That's really a nice goblet though!
Curt, thank you for your comments they mean a lot to me, as your posts here are my inspiration. It was hard to break the ring, I had to put the ring in a vice and it broke into two pieces. Thanks to all for the critique that's how I get better. Ron

Jonathon Spafford
06-03-2007, 1:17 AM
Great goblet... it really is beautiful! I really don't think that there is much to critique here... maybe the rings could be a tad smaller, but I don't think that it looks bad! I really looks great!