PDA

View Full Version : recycled the old bed

Ken Werner
05-29-2007, 8:22 PM
When the kids were little, we had a family bed. Mom, Dad, 2 children, and 2 dogs. And a low king sized bed. Low, so it would be easy for a little one to climb on.

The children have grown, the dogs have passed on.

Shelley, aka LOML, wanted a smaller bed. I wanted a higher bed. So after trying out the full size bed we had when we were first married we decided it was too small. And Leo, our one year old pup takes up some room too.

A little design effort, and using much of the wood in the old bed to make new legs, we have a taller, narrower Queen sized bed shown here with Leo.

Excellent hardware from Horton Brass - 4 bed bolts and 2 caps.

Jim Becker
05-29-2007, 8:25 PM
Very nice, Ken! I really like the simple lines and classic look. Excellent work!

Charles McKinley
06-03-2007, 8:16 PM
Very nice Ken.

Ken Werner
06-04-2007, 3:20 PM
Thank you Jim and Chuck.
Ken

Jeff Raymond
06-04-2007, 4:12 PM
What a great idea! Nice clean lines too. Thanks for posting the picture!

Wes Bischel
06-04-2007, 5:14 PM
Ken,
You're a man after my own heart! If I can reuse something, I'm just that much happier! Though it does make the job harder! If you hadn't said anything, we would never have guessed - great job. The bed looks wonderful - and if LOYL is happy, all the better.

Wes

Ken Werner
06-04-2007, 8:27 PM
Here is an old photo from 1992 of the original bed. Note the headboard has been re-used, in a less wide format. The end and side boards were re-used as the new legs, after being cut and reglued together.

Ken