PDA

View Full Version : Blanket Chest Project Complete

Tim Malyszko
05-29-2007, 7:33 PM
I finally finished up my Blanket Chest Project. I've been working on it off and on since January. Anyway, here are a few pic's I'd like to share.

The wood was all locally purchased at LumberLogs from fellow Creeker Tom Sontag. The top is made of Ambrosia Maple, while the raised panels are made from Cherry and the rails/stiles and base are made from soft maple. The inside is lined with 1/2" thick tounge and groove Aromatic Cedar, made using the Freud Tounge and Groove Router Bit Set Mike Weaver (another Creeker) sold me back in February.

There was no one particular thing that influenced the design, but was a combination of a number of chests I've seen in the last few years. The actual box dimensions came from an Ethan Allan chest I came across late last year.

The finish consists of 1 layer of General Finishes' Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner followed by 4 layers of General Finishes' Oil and Urethane Arm-R-Seal Glossy Top Coat, sanding with 0000 Steel Wool in-between each coat.

Overall, this was a very fun project. The drawers were by far the most challenging part for a number of reasons. First, I decided to add the drawers since I was itching to use my new Akeda dovetail jig (same thing with the dovetailed base). Second, I decided to add a bead to the drawer fronts after glue-up. I thought they were too plain, so I added a bead to the top and bottom and then routed out the material in between the beads, so they would stand proud. Finally, once I applied the finish, the drawers began to stick, so I had to readjust them and re-finish the adjusted parts.

Thanks again for all the help along the way answering any questions that came up.

Comments and questions are welcome.

Tim Malyszko
05-29-2007, 7:33 PM
Here is one more pick of the chest's back.

Andrew Williams
05-29-2007, 7:41 PM
That's a really pretty chest! Nice work!

Eugene A. Manzo III
05-29-2007, 8:08 PM
Very nice work thats a real keeper !!!

Jim Becker
05-29-2007, 8:30 PM
Nice work, Tim!

Tom Cowie
05-29-2007, 9:18 PM
Beautiful chest Tim,

the top really sets it off along with the finish

Tom

Mark Stutz
05-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Nice work, Tim. Tom really does have some nice stuff, and you made good use of it.

Mark

Pat Germain
05-29-2007, 10:55 PM
When I dream about wood projects, that's what I see! Great work. I especially like the contrasts of the natural wood colors.

Mark Valsi
05-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Very nice work, indeed

Mark Singer
05-30-2007, 12:08 AM
That is great stuff!

Mike Shoemaker
05-30-2007, 12:11 AM
Very nice, grear design.

glenn bradley
05-30-2007, 1:34 AM
That is b. e. a. yoo-tee-full.

Mike Cutler
05-30-2007, 8:25 AM
Very nice Tim. The workmanship is first rate. Lots of classic details.

One question. What kind of hinges are you using?

Tim Malyszko
05-30-2007, 9:13 AM
Very nice Tim. The workmanship is first rate. Lots of classic details.

One question. What kind of hinges are you using?

The hinges are just standard 4" solid brass hinges from Rockler. I also installed a couple of mortised lid supports to prevent myself or my wife from opening the lid more than 90 degrees. Eventually, I will add a safety hinge in the middle, once I find one with a brass finish. The only finish I can find is antique brass.

Thanks for all the comments.

Ralph Okonieski
05-30-2007, 8:36 PM
Very Nice, Tim! I'm going to start a blanket chest this summer. If it turns out as nice as yours (probably won't) I'd consider it a true triumph.

Well Done !

Jeffrey Makiel
05-31-2007, 7:58 AM
Your new blanket chest looks great! A blanket chest is such a useful project that has heirloom potential...especially when it was made by a friend or family member.

Nice going...Jeff :)

Ron Blaise
05-31-2007, 12:48 PM
there Tim! Just ship it to me, then I won't have to build one for my daughter:D

Pat Zabrocki
05-31-2007, 2:28 PM
Well done, I'm working on a similar design and but not quite as far along.

again, super job
Pat

Dave MacArthur
06-01-2007, 1:15 AM
Fantastic work, I really like the contrast of the natural wood colors!

Mack Cameron
06-01-2007, 11:03 AM
[quote]I finally finished up my Blanket Chest Project. I've been working on it off and on since January. Anyway, here are a few pic's I'd like to share. Hi Tim; I love making Blanket Chests, and I find this one to be spectacular. Would you mind sharing the measurements, or telling me where I can obtain a set of the plans. Someone is getting a keepsake to treasure!
This comment is by no means meant in a negative fashion, mine will have a Cherry carcase, with raised panels of Curly Maple and top of Birdseye Maple.

Jim Grill
06-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Awesome contrast. The top is really cool.

Tim Malyszko
06-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Hi Tim; I love making Blanket Chests, and I find this one to be spectacular. Would you mind sharing the measurements, or telling me where I can obtain a set of the plans. Someone is getting a keepsake to treasure!
This comment is by no means meant in a negative fashion, mine will have a Cherry carcase, with raised panels of Curly Maple and top of Birdseye Maple.

I'd be more than happy to get you the dimensions. I actually did not build it from any plans, but drew up a concept back in December. From there, it was a design/refine as I go type of project. I'll try and scan the concept drawings and post them. Sometime this weekend, I can get the basic measurements.

Good luck with your chest. The curly and birdseye maple will look fantastic. I wanted to do the top in curly or birdseye, but I had the wormy maple sitting around, so I figured I'd give it a shot and replace it if it didn't work out. I was, however, very pleased with the results so I kept the wormy maple.

Rick de Roque
06-01-2007, 8:57 PM
Nicely done.

rick

Von Bickley
06-01-2007, 8:59 PM
Great work Tim....:)

Bruce Page
06-01-2007, 9:32 PM
Beautiful chest Tim.

Can I say that...:D

Mack Cameron
06-16-2007, 1:38 PM
[quote]I'd be more than happy to get you the dimensions. I actually did not build it from any plans, but drew up a concept back in December. From there, it was a design/refine as I go type of project. I'll try and scan the concept drawings and post them. Sometime this weekend, I can get the basic measurements. Hi Tim; I'm still waiting for those plans etc. Very patiently, I might add. I'm sure they aren't the most important things on your mind! Any chance, before I forget about it?

don steward
06-16-2007, 3:15 PM
I

Comments and questions are welcome.

the top seems out of place with the wood used in the rest of the cabinet.

The cabinet seems taller then a bed ad usually these sit at the end of a bed and should be the same height.

Zahid Naqvi
06-16-2007, 5:45 PM
Nice work Tim, it came out quite good.

Ed Garrett
06-16-2007, 9:22 PM
Really nice, Tim. I particularly like your choice of wood on the top. Looks fantastic. I'm with you on getting down to a fine finish with 0000 steel wool. It takes elbow grease but will great for a long long time.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Very nice Tim! It will certainly be treasured for decades.

Charles Jackson III
06-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Very nice project!

Russ Cass
06-17-2007, 1:41 PM
:cool: Wow...Great work!

Tim Malyszko
06-17-2007, 3:17 PM
Hi Tim; I'm still waiting for those plans etc. Very patiently, I might add. I'm sure they aren't the most important things on your mind! Any chance, before I forget about it?

Thanks for reminding me. I just started working for the family business 4 weeks ago and am already putting in 60-70 hour weeks. I cannot find the original concept drawings, but here are the overall dimensions:

Overall Dimensions - Height (includes stand, box & lid) = 27", Box Width = 42.5", Box Depth = 20.5". The lid is approximately 45.5"x22", which leaves about a 1.5" overhang on the front and 1.25" on the sides.
The lid thickness is 7/8".
The base is 6" high.
The box is 21" high, with 1/2" recessed in the base.
The drawers are 5" high and 18" wide.
The 2 smaller front panels are 10 1/8" x 10 1/8" and the front, middle panel is 13" x 10 1/8".
I kept all the rails and stiles around 2 3/8" thick.
The side panels are 14"x17".
The back panels are 17"x18".
The cedar lined inside is approximately 40"x18"x12".Hopefully this will give you a good feel for the dimensions. Keep in mind my measurements aren't precise.

If I find the concept drawings, I will scan them and post them also.

Good luck with your project.

Tim Malyszko
06-17-2007, 3:20 PM
Also, thanks for all the kind comments. Just to clarify, we purchased a memory foam mattress last November and it sits 32" off the ground. This is part of the reason why I built this piece "oversized". "Normal" dimension blanket chests would have looked quite small compared to the bed size.