PDA

View Full Version : Seemingly huge flaw with my Bridgewood bandsaw

Jameel Abraham
05-29-2007, 5:51 PM
Admittedly, I don't think the bandsaw is the best choice for doing bevelled work, but sometimes you have to.

For example, cutting a cone from a thick chunk of wood, like 2" thick. Bandsaw is the way to go.

So I tried tilting my PBS-440 to 45 dgerees yesterday, and thunk, it stops at about 40 because the bottom of the table is hitting the top right corner of the door. HUGE FLAW! No way around this.

Am I missing something here? Shouldn't the door's top corner been made at an angle to allow some clearance??

Kinda dissapointed since this is a basic function.

Wilbur Pan
05-29-2007, 6:12 PM
Short term solution: you could place an angled piece of wood on the table to get you the extra 5 degrees.

Long term (and probably more useful) solution: What do the folks at Wilke Machinery say? I'd definitely call them about this.

Ralph Lindberg
05-29-2007, 8:07 PM
Em... If I had to make a cone, I'd do it on my lathe... Like I always do (done several, from as small as yours, to, well, rather large)

But I wonder if the spec for the Bridgewood said 45 degrees?

Wilbur Pan
05-29-2007, 8:22 PM
But I wonder if the spec for the Bridgewood said 45 degrees?
From the spec sheet on the Bridgewood PBS-440 (http://www.wilkemachinery.com/default.tpl?action=full&cart=11804843911848094&id1=2&--woSECTIONSdatarq=2&--SECTIONSword=ww&--eqskudatarq=2093):

TABLE TILT: 0 to 45°

glenn bradley
05-29-2007, 10:19 PM
If the specs say 45* I would give 'em a call.

Jon Farley
05-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Safety considerations aside, the table probably gets to 45 degrees with the door opened (or removed).

Jameel Abraham
05-29-2007, 10:52 PM
Im gonna call em tomorrow. But yeah, the specs say 45. I guess it could be done with the door open and the micro switch disabled. Man, that would stink though. And I was all like "ooooh, Italian bandsaw, cooooool" We shall see....

Art King
05-30-2007, 4:11 AM
Went out and checked my saw and your right, my table won't quite make 45 degrees. Looking closer, the corner of the door is contacting a small casting nub on the bottom side of the table that can be easily removed. The table could also be raised quite a bit with the 4 mounting bolts although I don't think it would be needed. I hope it works out for you.
Regards,
Art

Jameel Abraham
05-30-2007, 1:22 PM
I was told this morning by Curt Wilke to raise the table height by adjusting the jack screws that connect the table to the trunion. I raised it up about 3/8", so I lost that much resaw. It did work though, but just barely. Now when I tilt the table I get about 46 degress before the table hits the underside of the table. It's not hitting a casting nub, but the flat area. I have to say that I do like this saw, but after discovering this and finding out that Wilke has been somewhat misleading customers (including me) as to their future, I'm not as nuts about this machine as I was. Good thing I have a new Lie-Nielsen 41 arriving today to ease the pain....:)

Bruce Page
05-30-2007, 2:33 PM
I’m glad that it worked out for you Jameel. Wilke’s future not withstanding, I have always heard good reports on their machinery. You should be in good shape with that BS.
Plus the Lie-Nielsen doesn’t hurt either. :D

Jim Becker
05-30-2007, 3:35 PM
Good thing I have a new Lie-Nielsen 41 arriving today to ease the pain....

Repeat after me:

"My name is Jameel. And I'm a Tool-a-haulic..." :D

Dan Lee
05-30-2007, 5:25 PM
Just wondering if you checked the tilt angle with a seperate 45* square or protractor.
Dan

Jameel Abraham
05-30-2007, 6:15 PM
You're cracking me up Jim! I do like a good tool.

Dan, I did check with my combo square head, and a few test cuts.