PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Oscillating spindle sander

Scott Sallyards
05-29-2007, 5:27 PM
I am looking at adding a Oscillating Spindle sander to my workshop. Can anyone recommend what has worked for them. Woodworking is a hobby but I understand the value of a good tool. Price is important if you can recommend a good price or where I can purchase it at.

Thanks

Scott

Fred Gross
05-29-2007, 5:36 PM
FWW did a review a few issues back and thought the Rigid was the best of the bunch because of value and features.

Richard Wolf
05-29-2007, 5:40 PM
I have the Grizzly G1071. I think it is a great machine, run smoothly and gets alot of use in my stair shop.

Richard

Lori Kleinberg
05-29-2007, 6:25 PM
I have the Rigid. Bought it because of the recommendations of other woodworkers. Haven't used it much,
but so far it has been good. Will be finishing up the doors for the cabinet this week.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j127/Lori_K/Shop/IMG_0447.jpg

Al Willits
05-29-2007, 6:41 PM
Same here, for the price the ridgid works pretty well.

Al

Todd Solomon
05-29-2007, 6:52 PM
I also purchased the Rigid combo oscillating belt / spindle unit, and really like it.

I've used the oscillating belt sander as much as the oscillating spindle sander, and it's quite a benefit over a dedicated spindle sander. It's very easy to change spindle sizes or convert to belt sander mode. Just pay attention to the instructions- Certain washers are used for certain spindles, Etc.

Someday, I might step up to a larger OSS, but only if I find a need for larger spindle diameters, Etc. This low-cost sander has been terrific so far.

Todd

Jim Becker
05-29-2007, 7:25 PM
While I own, use and like the Delta BOSS, I'd really like to have an OSS that has a tilting table for more versatility. Therefore, I'd probably opt for the Jet or similar units for a bench top unit. The Ridgid does, of course, get kudos for many and it's belt feature can be handy, too.

Mac Cambra
05-29-2007, 7:33 PM
I have the Jet bench top sander and like it very much. Got a great deal through Amazon as well.

Bruce Page
05-29-2007, 7:56 PM
Scott, I have been happy with my Delta BOSS. It runs smooth and quiet and has excellent dust extraction when hooked up to a vac. As Jim mentioned, it would be nice if the table was tilting, but so far I haven’t needed that feature in the work that I do.

Al Willits
05-29-2007, 7:58 PM
btw the ridgid has a tilting table.

Al

Eugene A. Manzo III
05-29-2007, 8:04 PM
I own the Ridgid looked at it all over and the reviews are very good. I have not used it yet my daughter bought it for me for Christmas and havent used it yet in my "Summer Only" shop.

Cary Falk
05-29-2007, 8:08 PM
I have the Ridgid and like it.

Carroll Courtney
05-29-2007, 8:23 PM
Scott, I have the Griz(floor model) and like it very much.The table tilts to the left and right.Comes w/10 different size spindles and couple of inserts.Spindles are from 4" down to maybe 1/2.I to am just a hobbist and money was a big factor.I will never need to up grade after this purchase.Go to Griz web site and check them out.

Bart Leetch
05-29-2007, 10:03 PM
I have the Jet bench top sander and like it very much.
Checked out the rest & bought the best. Bigger motor then Delta, Tilt table. Heavy duty cast iron construction. Built like a small tank. Full range of spindles. Special order for large I think it was a 3" spindle.

Randy Denby
05-29-2007, 10:09 PM
I have a Delta BOSS. But lust after the grizzly floor model. A friend has one, and it is a very good looking machine. First grizzly I've seen, and was impressed. Just dont have much room left nor much call for it (yet;) ).

Jules Dominguez
05-29-2007, 11:40 PM
I have the Ridgid. The construction of it certainly isn't heavy duty, but for my hobbyist uses, it's adequate. I think I paid $200 for it. I'd buy it again, but if money were an issue, I'd just use my drill press.
The included belt sander is a nice accessory. I've never really liked the idea of clamping a real belt sander in a vise for stationary use, and I don't own a stationary belt sander.

Rick Levine
05-30-2007, 12:11 AM
I have the Jet table top OSS and one of the best features besided the tilting top is the 3" spindle. I think it is the largest spindle available on a destop model, at least it was when I bought it several years ago.

Steve Rowe
05-30-2007, 10:18 AM
I have had the Grizzly G1071 for 10 years. It is the only Grizzly that I have owned that even came close to meeting my expectations (and BTW, is the only Grizzly left in my shop). Other than the drive coupling falling apart during the first 30 seconds of operation, it has performed very well. I like the tiltability of the table and use it often. The table finish is as good as you will find on any machine and actually better than most.

Now for the downsides:( :

Do not expect much on dust collection with the Grizzly as it is mediocre at best. It is little more than a dust chute placed near the underside of the table.
The table inserts are awful. They are 1/8" thick steel with leveling screws that don't even reach the recess for leveling without being completely screwed through the insert. I think the recess may be milled too deep on my machine. Regardless, my fix on this was to make my own inserts out of baltic birch ply.Hope this helps,
Steve

Steven Wilson
05-30-2007, 10:36 AM
I had the Ridgid OSS/belt sander and it is the worse piece of crap I've had in my shop. The concept is great but the execution is terrible. I found that the platten wasn't square to the table and neither was the spindle. That wouldn't have been too bad but the platten also had a twist compared to the table. I checked numerous machines and they all had this problem. I eventually got rid of that unit and picked up a Grizzly 1071 - a very good, accurate OSS that is a joy to use and reasonably priced. If you want something smaller look at the Porter Cable hand held OSS, works well upside down in a router table and is very good on table/cabinet edges.

Aaron Hamilton
05-30-2007, 11:44 AM
I also have and like the Ridgid - my only complaint is the very limited spindle travel. Compared to high end units, the spindle travels very little to offset the lateral sanding lines. Overall, I am very pleased w/ the unit and as has been previously stated. Don't use it to square an edge to a face - it's just a sander.

Adam Howard
05-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Bought the Jet a few weeks ago. Like it.

The Delta in the showroom was falling apart. Never test drove the ridgid, but I knew I wanted heavy construction and a tilting table.

It runs smooth and is really quiet.

Karl Stewart
05-30-2007, 1:04 PM
I make a lot of Adirondack chairs with curves [convex and concave] as well as long straight edges and a few angles. You can't really put a final sand once assembled with a random orbital sander because of tight spaces. I recently bought the Rigid and use all of the features. Because I'm mostly a weekender, I make chairs in assembly line fashion. The spindles are great and the belt feature uses 4 x 24 [the same as my Porter Cable bs] with a decent variety of grits. It's perfect for my needs. Lifetime warranty doesn't hurt.

The downsides : it's plastic, but that also makes it light enough to easily put away under cabinet as needed. Dust removal is fair at best.

Brian Penning
05-30-2007, 1:12 PM
Another vote for Ridgid