PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Guitar Kit?

Chris Padilla
01-07-2004, 3:08 PM
Anyone have suggestions for a good guitar building kit for a beginner to the luthier field?

It isn't for me but for a friend.

Chris

Dick Parr
01-07-2004, 4:39 PM
Grizzly catalog has beginner kits.

Brad Hammond
01-07-2004, 4:40 PM
might want to try stewart mac.
www.stewmac.com

lots of luthering equipment. might want to search for luthering forums as well.
brad

Tom Sweeney
01-07-2004, 4:52 PM
I'm not a luthier but my BIL is a musician & I saw a catalog for these guys - looks pretty good & I heard they were OK

http://www.carvin.com/guitar_bass/index.html

Steven Wilson
01-08-2004, 10:39 AM
Anyone have suggestions for a good guitar building kit for a beginner to the luthier field?

It isn't for me but for a friend.

Chris

Electric or Acoustic and what does your friend not want to do? In any case, your friend should at least learn to carve a neck. To make things a bit easier your friend will probably want to by a fretboard that is slotted and, if an acoustic, have the sides bent. Some good sources are LMI (Luthier Merchantile International), Stewart McDonald, and surprise Martin Guitar Co. (the 1890 shop kits are very good). If building an acoustic their are a number of speciality jigs that your friend will need to build and fair number of speciality items (gobars, etc) that your friend will need to buy or build. The number of powertools needed though are few. Your friend should probably buy a couple of books on the subject as well as a couple of how to videos.