PDA

View Full Version : Will not purchase at Lowes

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-29-2007, 4:39 PM
I’ve decided that Lowes has nothing I want to buy. This because in the last some months I have seen many Lowes TV commercials and every single one posits a male that is whipped, weak, sniveling, cowardly, and subordinate.

I don’t desire to waste my money on people who insult me as an avocation.

John Hain
05-29-2007, 4:44 PM
If I were buying a pickup truck right now, this type of thinking would prohibit me from buying a Chevy.

I absolutely can't stand the John Cougar Mellencamp ads. Especially the one where it says, "This is our Blueprint" and the guy is intently studying an anvil.:confused: Exactly what is he trying to figure out?

Rob Bodenschatz
05-29-2007, 4:48 PM
There are very few commercials that don't annoy me.

If I made my decisions based on advertising, I'd be a Geico customer. Those cavemen crack me up. :p

Fortunately, I don't.

Chuck Wintle
05-29-2007, 4:51 PM
I’ve decided that Lowes has nothing I want to buy. This because in the last some months I have seen many Lowes TV commercials and every single one posits a male that is whipped, weak, sniveling, cowardly, and subordinate.

I hate those commercials. The white heterosexual male seems to be in the gunsights of almost everyone these days. Its insulting.

JayStPeter
05-29-2007, 5:12 PM
Yep, you'll become a girly man if you shop there.

Joe Pelonio
05-29-2007, 6:00 PM
I always thought that all these companies were trying to appeal to the female buyers, capitalizing on the male bashing of the TV programs these days, but they seem to have gone too far and if more people act like Cliff it will backfire on them. Hopefully soon.

I too will make my buying decisions without regard to advertising. I prefer using factual review data and recommendations from people I know.

John Schreiber
05-29-2007, 6:14 PM
The white heterosexual male seems to be in the gunsights of almost everyone these days.
Thank goodness us white males still have all the power.:rolleyes:

Gary Keedwell
05-29-2007, 6:23 PM
:D Yea, we got the power....but who has the control?:confused:

Gary K.

Lee DeRaud
05-29-2007, 6:54 PM
If I made my decisions based on advertising, I'd be a Geico customer. Those cavemen crack me up. :p
Even better would be an ad where a couple of the cavemen stand around with clubs, taking turns whomping the snot out of that annoying lizard. :cool:

Randal Stevenson
05-29-2007, 7:17 PM

If I were buying a pickup truck right now, this type of thinking would prohibit me from buying a Chevy.

I absolutely can't stand the John Cougar Mellencamp ads. Especially the one where it says, "This is our Blueprint" and the guy is intently studying an anvil.:confused: Exactly what is he trying to figure out?

If it is the same guy, how to clean up the blood spill after his wife nags him to go to Lowe's for her honey do's. :p

That said, I know they are aimed elsewhere, I don't spend much time at all watching tv.

Matt Meiser
05-29-2007, 8:53 PM
What commercials?

Matt, who loves his Tivo :D

David G Baker
05-29-2007, 11:59 PM
What commercials?

Matt, who loves his Tivo :D
Matt,
Amen!!!!!

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-30-2007, 8:58 AM
Where ever you buy stuff don't be expecting me to pass judgment on you. After all, honest people can differ.

The misconception that I see in the posts in this thread that articulate purchasing based on facts not advertisements is simply that it's not the advertisement content relating to products that offends, but rather the corporate policy of making males into buffoons in order to sell to women that offends me.

It is corporate policy that is at the heart of my discontent with the company.

If a person is un-offended by a company that chooses quite deliberately to label people by gender in such a negative way then fine - buy their products. There is no intellectual dishonesty.

Probably also there is no intellectual dishonesty if a person's income is so low or has so many demands on it that the person simply must purchase at the lowest price and the company with the offending policy is selling at the lower price.

If, however, one believes that such negative depictions are wrong and one is able to purchase elsewhere, then purchasing at Lowes fails to obtain the high ground of intellectual honesty.

ERGO: I won't buy their stuff. They have nothing I need so desperately that I'll take the slap in the face while I hand them my money.

John Schreiber
05-30-2007, 9:12 AM
If, however, one believes that such negative depictions are wrong and one is able to purchase elsewhere, then purchasing at Lowes fails to obtain the high ground of intellectual honesty.
Thank you Cliff, An excellent point and a way of thinking which we should apply to all of our decisions.

Kyle Kraft
05-30-2007, 12:04 PM
I've never seen male-bashing ads from my local lumberyard...they don't need to advertise.

Jeffrey Fusaro
05-30-2007, 1:05 PM

cliff--

i'm with you on these types of ads. they really annoy me.

but...

just saying that you are going to spend your money elsewhere will be as effective as holding your breath.

if you decide to shop elsewhere, you need to tell lowe's WHY you are shopping elsewhere.

unless you are a volume purchaser, it is highly unlikely that they will even know that you are gone.

if enough folks take the "shop elsewhere" approach, a local store may notice an impact, but the store will still have no idea as to what precipitated the change in revenue. was it a seasonal shift, or the phase of the moon?

the local stoer manager has no control over the corporate advertising strategy. but if you visited them, or wrote them a letter telling them why you were no longer shopping in their store, you might get their attention. and, they may address the issue upstream.

adressing a letter to the local store manager and copying a district manager, and/or the corporate office may also help.

don't just go away mad. tell them WHY!

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-30-2007, 4:26 PM
if you decide to shop elsewhere, you need to tell lowe's WHY you are shopping elsewhere.

Already did that ~!!

Steven Triggs
05-30-2007, 9:15 PM
I agree that a lot (not just Lowe's) of commercials portray men very negatively lately. However, for two reasons, I'm inclined not to care much more than being a bit annoyed:

1. Women have been putting up with this crap for years (i.e. feminine product commercials and such), so I think we can take it too.:) If I were a woman, I think I would be very offended by them. I know many of the women I know claim to be offended by them.

2. From a marketing standpoint, it is very useful to make a humorous commercial (don't misunderstand, I don't find them funny, but obviously they are suppoed to be). In all honesty, it is pretty hard to make something funny without a victim. If you think about, most jokes you tell or laugh at DO make fun of someone.

Anyway, just my two cents...

Kyle Kraft
05-31-2007, 8:55 AM
I agree with you Steve. Start looking at commercials with color thrown in the mix. Many situations portray blacks as the "loser". A prime example is the Cheerios wedding commercial where the bride throws a box of Cheerios and a black gal and white gal both catch the box. The white gal rips it out of the black gals hands with a snickering grin and the black gals face is downcast. There is a car commercial where the black lady and white lady are "debating" on whos car has more bang for the buck...you guessed it, the white ladies car is the better one.

The point I'm trying to make is similar to yours, and that there seems to be more victims in commercials nowdays. Whatever happened to simply stating why your product is the better choice? Don't name names or turn it into a 30 second sitcom.

PS...I'm a white guy.

Calvin Hobbs
05-31-2007, 9:18 AM
You guys are hitting on one of my hot buttons. Forgive me while I jump up on a soapbox....

From the "idiot male" who burns up the grill in the backyard while the wife admires her Pella windows...

The guys who eats Cheerios because Mommy says it's good for his heart and "Daddy did a lot of stupid things before he met Mommy"

The woman who rents a storage unit to clean up some useless thing around the house moving the couch (with the guy on it sleeping with the remote in his lap).

Ray Romano, King of Queens, Tim the Toolman....

All these are "funny" but it shows the attack of todays culture against the traditional family with the man at the head of the household, providing leadership, from moral to financial to spiritual. It is from every direction. The two parent family with a strong father is going away. Divorce is rampant and crushing the stability of families. This is why I believe our society is raising a bunch of boys who never grow up because they don't have a strong role model to identify with. And Hollywood LOVES IT. Hollywood values are directly opposed to ours (at least mine), and those who refuse to believe it should wake up and realize it.

It is difficult for me to discuss this without turning to my faith, which the attack on men is directly against. So needless to say, a little "humor" in advertising is not the only thing we are up against.

I am not anti-woman at all, I am pro family.

Sorry about the rant. My wife tells me to lighten up on this issue all the time, and I really am an easygoing guy. Cal

John Schreiber
05-31-2007, 9:51 AM
Respectfully disagreeing

. . . but it shows the attack of todays culture against the traditional family with the man at the head of the household, . . .
As was pointed out earlier, humor works in advertising. Much humor needs a victim. Who better to serve as a victim than the person who is not the victim in the rest of the culture. Should we instead have children, women or minorities as the victim?

Don't forget that white males hold most of the positions of authority in this country. Women and minorities are highly underrepresented in government, religion, business, the professions and even woodworking. Men can start feeling like victims when you hear people say things like "I wouldn't vote for a man for President" or "How could I get a medical exam from a man?"

The entertainment and the advertising industry are businesses out to maximize profit. I don't doubt some in those businesses would sell crack to babies if they could make money at at. The things we see on TV and the movies are what is profitable for them. I agree that morals and standards are lacking there, but I don't think they are out to attack or support a culture any more than tool companies who outsource their products. They are simply businesses with a profit model out to maximize their profit.

Ernie Hobbs
05-31-2007, 12:59 PM
You guys are hitting on one of my hot buttons. Forgive me while I jump up on a soapbox....

From the "idiot male" who burns up the grill in the backyard while the wife admires her Pella windows...

The guys who eats Cheerios because Mommy says it's good for his heart and "Daddy did a lot of stupid things before he met Mommy"

The woman who rents a storage unit to clean up some useless thing around the house moving the couch (with the guy on it sleeping with the remote in his lap).

All these are "funny" but it shows the attack of todays culture against the traditional family with the man at the head of the household, providing leadership, from moral to financial to spiritual. It is from every direction. The two parent family with a strong father is going away. Divorce is rampant and crushing the stability of families. This is why I believe our society is raising a bunch of boys who never grow up because they don't have a strong role model to identify with. And Hollywood LOVES IT. Hollywood values are directly opposed to ours (at least mine), and those who refuse to believe it should wake up and realize it.

Not to be the voice of dissent but I don't really look for commercials to define my life and how I interact with my family. The reason these ads and shows have such a huge response with viewers is that they have a certain grain of truth to them. When I look at my co-workers or people in the community that I interact with, men, for the most part, really don't know how to use their hands. Calvin, we grew up in a family that taught us woodworking skills and the ability to fix pretty much anything. However, this was rare and most people born in the last 40 years or so really don't have basic do-it-yourself skills. When I look at the other "woodworkers" (and I use that term loosely) that I know of locally, very few are skilled enough to produce a product I'd be proud to make myself. But, there is interest- I think men (and women) feel like they should be able to do things around the house and build things but just don't know how to do it. That's where Lowe's comes in and relates to these guys on their level. The reason that the SMC community is offended is that this group largely has the skills that most men want to have (or are working towards them). These ads and commercials are meant to connect with their potential customers and say "we know where you're coming from and we will help you get your projects done". That's just good business. That's also why professional or serious woodworkers steer towards stores like Woodcraft, Woodworkers' Supply, Rockler, etc. because they cater to this population.

What bothers me is that our kids are watching these commercials and don't have the ability to filter out reality from fiction. That's why it is so important to teach them the skills they need for life and make it so that they won't connect on a personal level to what they're being asked to buy. It's not a bad idea to ban TV altogether from the home (but it's nice to keep them occupied for a while:)).

Jeffrey Makiel
05-31-2007, 1:31 PM
The reason these ads and shows have such a huge response with viewers is that they have a certain grain of truth to them. When I look at my co-workers or people in the community that I interact with, men, for the most part, really don't know how to use their hands.

At the age of 46, I have to agree with this statement.

When I was in my teens, I did a lot of stuff around my home. Grass cutting, wash the car, maintain/repair the car, painting, snow and leaf removal, gutter cleaning, etc. Today, I do not see any young guys doing any chores what so ever. In fact, today I see neighborhood kids walking right by immigrant workers cutting their lawn on the way to soccer practice, and, I don't live in an affluent neighborhood by any stretch of the imagination.

Another example is when I go to Woodworking Shows. It seems I'm the youngest guy in the crowd. Again, I'm 46 years old!

But, as similar to young men, I also see the same loss of basic skills and motivation with young women. Long gone are the days when girls helped with domestic chores inside the home. In fact, the most common thing I hear from parents nowadays are: "She turned 17 this year, so we bought her a new car because we were afraid to buy her something used that may breakdown; after all, she's a girl".

-Jeff :)

ROBERT ELLIS
05-31-2007, 1:35 PM
Here Here to Calvin Hobbs post!

Robert

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-31-2007, 3:27 PM
Not to be the voice of dissent but
Oh C'mon~!! Be it Be it~!!

Al Willits
05-31-2007, 4:05 PM
One word.....minivans.
Or more commonly called the emasculation of the American male. :)

One of the local radio disc jockey's is forever complaining about the lack of real men anymore, I'm assuming he's not looking for one, and just is complaining about all the wussies that seem to be everywhere now.

Gotta say I agree with him.

Todays viewing of the TV seems to make one agree with the DJ, never have I seen such a bunch of retards who couldn't make a decision if they had to, and if it wasn't for the DIY and history channel, and a few others
it'd be easy to just turn the TV off.

Ya commercials are insulting, as is most TV anyway, least imho.

Al

Nancy Laird
05-31-2007, 4:31 PM
As was pointed out earlier, humor works in advertising. Much humor needs a victim. Who better to serve as a victim than the person who is not the victim in the rest of the culture. Should we instead have children, women or minorities as the victim?

Don't forget that white males hold most of the positions of authority in this country. Women and minorities are highly underrepresented in government, religion, business, the professions and even woodworking. Men can start feeling like victims when you hear people say things like "I wouldn't vote for a man for President" or "How could I get a medical exam from a man?"

Can a woman chime in here? (Yeah, I'll just bet that you all were holding your collective breaths.) As a woman, a woodworker, and a WASP, I am a member of one vast minority (female woodworkers) and one rapidly shrinking segment of our society (WASPs). You have hit one of my hot buttons, and you may have just set off an explosion. Many of you may be too young to remember the old Geritol commercials (think Ted Mack's Amateur Hour) that ended with a WASP male smiling at the camera and saying "My wife, I think I'll keep her."

Gentlemen, the victimization you may be seeing on TV commercials and other places is just those same ads from the 50s-60s-70s-80s (yes, the 80s) with gender roles reversed. Can you recall the Mr. Clean giant or the Ajax man making things all sparkly and the "little woman" being amazed? For as long as this country has been a country, white males have put down and patronized women.

Do you remember reading in your history books of the uproar surrounding Amanda Bloomer's wearing of pants and the fact that she was barred from entering certain male bastions, even hotel lobbies, solely because of her attire?

How about Katharine Hepburn's wearing of pants from her earliest days in Hollywood (in the early 30s) to the day of her death? She was called everything in the book except a white woman.

How about it taking until 1920 (!) until women were allowed to vote in federal elections (after several states had already allowed the same in lower-level elections)?

How about the uproar surrounding the election of Jeanette Rankin from Montana to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1916, and how she was able to serve only one term because she was so villified for voting against the entry of the US into World War I?

How about the practices of the U.S. military that it took until the 70s to remove the WACS and WAVES and WAFS designations for women in the armed services and just call them Army/Navy/Air Force personnel? Or the fact that it took until the late 80s for the services to acknowledge that woman just might have what it takes to drive a tank, fly a plane, steer a ship, carry a weapon, fight in a war?

How about the laws that prevented women from inheriting property or even owning their own property until just about a century ago, give or take 10 years?

How about all of the defense companies who were so glad to have women working in the plants during WWII, but as soon as the war was over, they kicked the women out to make room for men?

How about all of the "service clubs", like Kiwanis, Rotary, Lions, Optimists, Sertoma, Civitans, who barred women from membership until the 80s? How about the VFW and American Legion who "allowed" women to participate as part of the "Women's Auxiliary", even if the woman had been in the military and otherwise qualified for membership?

WASP men, stop complaining about how you are depicted in television commercials, and consider how lucky you are that you have never had to march to obtain your rights to vote, to own property. How you have never been thrown out of a premises because of your attire. How you have never had to sue a club, organization, school, or other entity for admission which had been denied solely because of your gender. How if you were a female, you were denied admission to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, Colgate, Dartmouth, Cornell, Penn, Columbia, West Point, Annapolis, etc. etc. etc. until the 70s (and the Citadel and VMI until the 90s) solely because of your gender.

I'm not going to either defend or villify Lowe's for their ads, nor Ace Hardware, or any other advertising agency for these commercials. It's a free-market society out there and if you choose not to patronize those businesses who "hurt your feelings" or "insult your manhood," that's your choice, but it won't make much of a difference.

Just suck it up, guys, like the female portion of the population has been forced to do for centuries!!!!

Rob Bodenschatz
05-31-2007, 4:44 PM
Hey! Who let her in?????

:D:D:D

No, seriously. This little pity-party is quite pathetic. Guys, we've had it pretty good for a long time. I'm willing to take a few lumps from a few stupid commercials. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-31-2007, 5:47 PM
This little pity-party is quite pathetic.

Pity party or indignation and well placed indignation? I go with the latter.

Guys, we've had it pretty good for a long time.Yah so? There is no excuse for making a negative parody of any one make female black white purple ( well maybe purple).

I'm willing to take a few lumps from a few stupid commercials. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Sounds like a personal decision. I am not so disposed.

Dennis Peacock
05-31-2007, 5:51 PM
Ok folks.....let's keep things under control here and let's keep it cool. Leave your emotions outside and let's all be as civil as possible. Please?!!!

Al Willits
05-31-2007, 6:24 PM
Progress weaves a wicked web at times, doesn't mean we need to go backwards though, we go far enough back in each of our pasts and some relative was probably mistreated or not treated as a equal.

But I think the point here is Lowe's and other commercials are demeaning, shouldn't matter who they are demeaning to.

Al...who see's this post going downhill fast....:)

Steven Triggs
05-31-2007, 6:43 PM
Gentlemen, the victimization you may be seeing on TV commercials and other places is just those same ads from the 50s-60s-70s-80s (yes, the 80s) with gender roles reversed.
Nancy,
Don't I get any credit for being the first guy on here to make that point, albeit not in so many words!;)

Anyway, I think you're right. I think most guys don't see the problem with the commercials that offend you, so I don't think we have much right to be offended by the new ones.

John Schreiber
05-31-2007, 6:50 PM
I see a lot of good posts in this thread and a healthy debate with a lot of important facts and valuable opinions.

No one, not one of us, not a corporation, not an ad agency, nor a country should demean anyone. Every human being is worthy of dignity.

When I was a kid in Ohio, we told "polock" jokes, not knowing what a "polock" was. When I moved to Austin Texas as a child, we told "aggie" jokes. I think "aggies" were the other big university in Texas, but it didn't matter. I can also remember racist jokes from back then that I am ashamed to even have in my memory.

Now, we tell blond jokes and make fun of white males. I think it is progress that in our humor we have gone from picking on the powerless to picking on the powerful.

Of course, real progress would be to not pick on anyone.

Nancy Laird
05-31-2007, 7:40 PM
No one, not one of us, not a corporation, not an ad agency, nor a country should demean anyone. Every human being is worthy of dignity.

When I was a kid in Ohio, we told "polock" jokes, not knowing what a "polock" was. When I moved to Austin Texas as a child, we told "aggie" jokes. I think "aggies" were the other big university in Texas, but it didn't matter. I can also remember racist jokes from back then that I am ashamed to even have in my memory.

Now, we tell blond jokes and make fun of white males. I think it is progress that in our humor we have gone from picking on the powerless to picking on the powerful.

Of course, real progress would be to not pick on anyone.

Mutual respect--that's the key. No matter your sex, race, color, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, or whatever--every living person deserves respect and consideration. If one can not respect others, one can not expect respect from others.

Nancy

Dave Fifield
05-31-2007, 8:37 PM
Thank you for starting this thread Cliff. I've ranted about man-bashing adverts for many years and thought I was the only one who noticed. Until now. I absolutely refuse to use any product that has a man-bashing ad.

From the window cleaner product (where the magpies laugh at the stupid man who can't see the patio door), to the "it's not delivery" pizza (where the game-watching men get watered down by the wife turning on the sprinklers), and every shade in between: all get no business from me.

It's strange that even with a DVR (Dish Network ViP622), the TV advertizers seem to have worked out how to put their messages at the 30 second skip intervals so that they still get some eyeball time! Insideous!!

Steven Triggs
05-31-2007, 8:58 PM
From the window cleaner product (where the magpies laugh at the stupid man who can't see the patio door)

Umm, Dave, I'm pretty sure the window cleaner commercial is supposed to be funny because it is birds watching a person walk into glass, instead of people watching birds fly into glass. I don't think it has anything to with the fact that person is male.

Nancy Laird
05-31-2007, 9:06 PM
From the window cleaner product (where the magpies laugh at the stupid man who can't see the patio door),...

Dave, would it be acceptable to you if it was a woman walking into the glass, or a child, or an elderly person, or a Native American? :confused:

Nancy

Ernie Hobbs
05-31-2007, 11:26 PM
Dave, would it be acceptable to you if it was a woman walking into the glass, or a child, or an elderly person, or a Native American? :confused:

Nancy

I think our society is entirely too sensitive. I actually like this commercial but I think the larger issue is that the only group of people that it is acceptable to make fun of these days is white males. Political correctness is running rampant and companies that make these commercials can't afford to offend anyone, especially a target consumer. Since white males are fair game, they have become the butt of every joke. Personally, I don't mind it since they are funny and I like a good laugh but, maybe we (all groups included) take ourselves too seriously and are too thin-skinned.

On the brighter side, with all of the issues with immigration and the growth of the Latino community, maybe it won't be too long before we qualify as a minority and are off-limits for insensitive comments. I won't be long-

Mutual respect--that's the key. No matter your sex, race, color, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, or whatever--every living person deserves respect and consideration. If one can not respect others, one can not expect respect from others.

Nancy

Exactly. I totally agree.

Dennis Peacock
05-31-2007, 11:51 PM

Nancy

Very well stated Nancy!!!!!! AMEN to that!!!!

jonathan snyder
06-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Another good reason to shoot your tv!!

Jonathan

Lee DeRaud
06-01-2007, 1:45 AM
Personally, I don't mind it since they are funny and I like a good laugh but, maybe we (all groups included) take ourselves too seriously and are too thin-skinned.Second that.

The "too-thin-skinned" group includes executives of the companies that advertise: Carl's Jr, that bastion of good taste that brought us images of Paris Hilton humping an SUV (or maybe washing it, it was hard to tell), has sued Jack In The Box over their latest ad campaign. Apparently they think their own customer base is too stupid to know the difference between "Angus" and "anus". Which, come to think of it, is certainly possible, although I seriously doubt the customer base of either restaurant really cares what part of the cow the meat comes from.

(I hereby apologize to any SUV owners, Paris Hilton fans, advertising executives, or animal-rights activists who were offended by the preceding paragraph.)

Al Willits
06-01-2007, 8:45 AM
Second that.

The "too-thin-skinned" group includes executives of the companies that advertise: Carl's Jr, that bastion of good taste that brought us images of Paris Hilton humping an SUV (or maybe washing it, it was hard to tell), has sued Jack In The Box over their latest ad campaign. Apparently they think their own customer base is too stupid to know the difference between "Angus" and "anus". Which, come to think of it, is certainly possible, although I seriously doubt the customer base of either restaurant really cares what part of the cow the meat comes from.

(I hereby apologize to any SUV owners, Paris Hilton fans, advertising executives, or animal-rights activists who were offended by the preceding paragraph.)

Good points, I don't mind a good joke or two, even if it isn't PC, my outlook is that if you can't take a joke about you, you shouldn't tell one about someone else, works for me anyway.

PC has gone off the deep side, between that and affirmative action with its quota's, I think we headed downhill fast.
Thank goodness I'm also close to retired and don't have to put up with this stuff much longer, gone are the days when you got hired because you could do the job, and you could say something nice about someone of the opposite sex and not have HR looking for a rope.

As I think about it, I'm thinking I'm also more aggravated with the number commercials on TV, along with their content, might be why I don't watch all that much TV anymore.

A little respect and responsibility would go a long ways now days, to bad so many think otherwise.

Al

Doug Shepard
06-01-2007, 9:06 AM
I tend to ignore most TV ads, but you all have me convinced now. Lowes has robbed me of my manhood, and I refuse to shop there anymore until they take steps to restore my manliness. Maybe they could switch to topless cashiers?? That might get me back in there.:D

Dennis Peacock
06-01-2007, 9:23 AM
Another good reason to shoot your tv!!

Jonathan

Good point Jonathan....and after 14 years with DirecTV and the kids getting a bit too "out there"....we decided to pull the plug on TV. We're now saving $60 a month that was spent on TV, the kids are reading more, they get along better, and we have much better times together as a family. So I guess you tag line would prove to be correct....tv IS educational. ;)

Rob Bodenschatz
06-01-2007, 9:37 AM
This was just posted on another site. Check out the text in the lower right corner.

EDIT: I don't know why but it's not letting me enlarge the pic. The text says: "It's easy, even for the gentler sex, to cut attractive figures out of plywood with this Delta wood-cutting bandsaw."

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-01-2007, 1:06 PM
Good point Jonathan....and after 14 years with DirecTV and the kids getting a bit too "out there"....we decided to pull the plug on TV. We're now saving $60 a month that was spent on TV, the kids are reading more, they get along better, and we have much better times together as a family. So I guess you tag line would prove to be correct....tv IS educational. ;)

I raised my kids with no TV. Didn't hurt 'em a bit.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-01-2007, 1:07 PM
Whatever happened to simply stating why your product is the better choice?

Maybe it's laws against false advertising.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-01-2007, 1:10 PM
Can a woman chime in here?
Yah sure why bother even asking?

Just suck it up, guys, like the female portion of the population has been forced to do for centuries!!!!

I won't ~!! And for exactly the same reason that the women stopped taking it. Wrong is wrong.

Russ Cass
06-02-2007, 10:22 PM

I don’t desire to waste my money on people who insult me as an avocation.Cliff, Take a deep breathe and slowly step away from the television! :D

Robert E Lee
06-02-2007, 11:06 PM
As many have, just do away with the TV. Problem solved. :D
Bob

Don Taylor
10-08-2007, 6:38 PM

Never been to divorce court huh John? ;)

DT

Greg Peterson
10-08-2007, 6:45 PM
"I don’t desire to waste my money on people who insult me as an avocation."

Actually, there is a lot of fun to be had at males expense. I find some of Lowes commercials decidely low brow comedy, but I certainly don't take Madison Avenue tactics personally. Look at Tim Allen's Home Improvement show. Can't tell me there isn't a shred of truth in his character.

Lee DeRaud
10-08-2007, 7:12 PM
Look at Tim Allen's Home Improvement show. Can't tell me there isn't a shred of truth in his character.Not much imagination though: the whole premise of the show is, "What would Bob Vila do in this situation?" :eek:
The scary part is, it took 'em seven years to run out of material. :p

Greg Peterson
10-08-2007, 7:19 PM
The acting and script writing for that series was, ummm, bland. I would watch an episode from time to time but was never a regular viewer by any means. Now when I stumble across this show on the tube I can not change channels quickly enough. It hasn't aged gracefully.

Gary Keedwell
10-08-2007, 7:42 PM
I don't know. The show was popular during one of the biggest home Improvement era's the USA has ever seen. Lowes and HD prospered. I thought the show was funny and I am not ashamed to admit it.:p
Gary

Randy Denby
10-08-2007, 8:41 PM
One of my favorite t-shirts ever....beside an original Stevie Ray Vaughn concert T...was "Real Men dont read instructions" and had a pic of Tim Allen. I liked the show too. Never thought of it as demeaning me....just Tim. I need to pay more attention :o

Stephen Beckham
10-08-2007, 10:34 PM
BUD.... WIE.... ZER....

Yep... That'll do it! Till that pesky little weasle steps in! :D

glenn bradley
10-08-2007, 10:36 PM
I see sooo much wasted shop time here. . . aren't we always complaining that there is never enough time to spend in the shop? :D Hey I just realized . . . I should be in the shop.

Jim King
10-09-2007, 8:46 PM
My wife and I have lived in Africa and Latin America more than we have lived in the US. We know what it is to be a minority and looked at funny and talked to in all forms especially being Americans. In my opinion everyone is getting serious about nothing, I would assume even the people who made these ads that are offending everyone are decent people. The VAST majority of people I have ever met I would consider well meaning even if sometimes they come off differently. I certainly dont mean to offend anyone by this comment but I think there are a lot more important things in the world that one can find to worry about.

Mark Rios
10-09-2007, 9:07 PM
The best part of Tool Time?.....Debbie Dunning.

Jake Helmboldt
10-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Ironically the reason Lowes has taken that angle is because of what has typically been done to women; treat them as stupid, unskilled, not belonging in a hardware store, etc. Lowes has made a very concerted effort to gain market share via appealing to women, right down to determining the specific candle power of lighting in the stores. (ever notice how Lowes is bright and cheery while HD seems like a wharehouse)?

They got rid of the aisle bumpouts to reduce the dreaded butt-brush from tight aisles, they arrange the store to appeal to the decorator sense of women, etc. They discovered that most decisions about major home purchases and improvement projects are made by women. That is why for the past several years they have been clobbering HD. So while some may find the male bashing offensive (I could care less), they have seen a big jump in the market share of female customers. I hate HD, so for big box hardware Lowes it is, though I try to patronize my locally-owned hardware stores when I can (though it seems the help is getting as bad as the big boxes lately).

JH

Jon Lanier
10-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Even better would be an ad where a couple of the cavemen stand around with clubs, taking turns whomping the snot out of that annoying lizard. :cool:

ROTFL!!!!!!

Jon Lanier
10-09-2007, 10:54 PM

Cal,

I'll Amen you there. I think it all started with, "Married With Children" program. The feminization of our men in society has been running head long since the 70's.

Gary Keedwell
10-09-2007, 11:08 PM
I don't know about the commercials ( don't remember seeing any) but I know that the stores are geared towards woman. Like the poster above said, it is well lit, signage is good, and it has an atmosphere of a store not a warehouse.
If I have a chance, I will drive further to go to Lowes instead of the dumpy HD.
GK

Gary Keedwell
10-09-2007, 11:23 PM
Cal,

I'll Amen you there. I think it all started with, "Married With Children" program. The feminization of our men in society has been running head long since the 70's.
Married with children was the 80's. Feminization was created in Hollywood in the late 60's and 70's. Think about it. There hasn't been a good war movie since the 50's. The 70's brought us "Mash"...the biggest bleading heart feminist show in history. Alan Alda was a poster boy for men to show the female side of men. Ahhhhhhggg:mad:
If you really think about it, even "The Honeymooners" were bashing men. Ralphy was not exactly Ward Cleaver, right?
Husband bashing has been going on for a long, long time. I say bring back Ward Cleaver. Don't remember anybody bashing him.
GK

julie Graf
10-09-2007, 11:34 PM
if i didn't buy items or go to places that ran ads that offended me or made fun of my gender, i'd be hard-pressed to buy anything. (beer, most cars/trucks, i'd hardly be able to watch sports at all, i'd have a hard time taking my car to an auto-body shop, listen to most rock and roll songs,... the list goes on...)

i mean - there's a restaurant called hooters! how many men would find it acceptable for there to be a restaurant called "dicks" where men served dinner in orange speedos?

my opinion - you choose your battles in life. if you don't want to shop at lowes because you find the ads offensive, you should also send them a letter expressing your disdain - at least they would become aware that they have offended someone.

i remember back in college i boycotted pizza-hut because rush limbaugh did an ad for them. i missed out on a lot of personal pan pizzas...

Gary Keedwell
10-09-2007, 11:41 PM
if i didn't buy items or go to places that ran ads that offended me or made fun of my gender, i'd be hard-pressed to buy
i remember back in college i boycotted pizza-hut because rush limbaugh did an ad for them. i missed out on a lot of personal pan pizzas...
Yea, and Rush STILL got rich.:rolleyes: :D
GK

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-10-2007, 8:26 AM
if i didn't buy items or go to places that ran ads that offended me or made fun of my gender, i'd be hard-pressed to buy anything. (beer, most cars/trucks, i'd hardly be able to watch sports at all, i'd have a hard time taking my car to an auto-body shop, listen to most rock and roll songs,... the list goes on...)

I won't buy that beer they advertise using that inane "man law" nonsense either.

i mean - there's a restaurant called hooters! how many men would find it acceptable for there to be a restaurant called "dicks" where men served dinner in orange speedos?

Never been in a hooters and I can't imagine going to one. I really can not imagine taking a woman to one.
But there is no accounting for taste.

my opinion - you choose your battles in life.

Indeed. And I choose them most carefully. I hope you are not suggesting otherwise.

if you don't want to shop at lowes because you find the ads offensive, you should also send them a letter expressing your disdain - at least they would become aware that they have offended someone.

I sent them one - I believe I articulated that in one of my posts above.

I disagree. You missed a lot of very bad, poorly made pizza with seriously questionable ingredients. I ate at a pizza hut once. Never again.

You went to school while Rush Limbaugh was on the air?
I matriculated undergraduate in '82 as an adult with 2 children. This is making me feel old.

Jon Lanier
10-10-2007, 9:36 AM
i

Wow, not liking Rush and you live in Pittsburgh, that's a glutton for punishment.

Lee DeRaud
10-10-2007, 10:38 AM
Ironically the reason Lowes has taken that angle is because of what has typically been done to women; treat them as stupid, unskilled, not belonging in a hardware store, etc. Lowes has made a very concerted effort to gain market share via appealing to women, right down to determining the specific candle power of lighting in the stores. (ever notice how Lowes is bright and cheery while HD seems like a wharehouse)?

They got rid of the aisle bumpouts to reduce the dreaded butt-brush from tight aisles, they arrange the store to appeal to the decorator sense of women, etc. They discovered that most decisions about major home purchases and improvement projects are made by women. That is why for the past several years they have been clobbering HD.Hmmm...maybe the local Lowes people didn't get the memo.

I haven't done a rigorous survey of all the stores in the area, but the one Lowes within easy reach is the same (or worse) in the aspects you mention than the HDs that existed at the time it opened. OTOH, the two newer HDs nearby are significantly larger, better lit, and better laid-out.

julie Graf
10-10-2007, 11:55 AM
cliff - I'm glad you wrote a letter. (sorry, I skimmed a lot of the posts above and must have missed that part)

passing up a $2 personal pan pizza while in college when it was the only thing open on campus took some self discipline. greasy, cheesy, saltiness, (did i say greasy?) during study breaks at 2am sure sounded good back then. now... not so much.

I graduated from college in 94 as an idealistic 20 year old - Rush was on the air back then for sure.

Jon - pittsburgh isn't that conservative. I'm moving up to Emlenton - now *that's* conservative!

skip coyne
10-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Never been in a hooters and I can't imagine going to one. I really can not imagine taking a woman to one.
But there is no accounting for taste. its really not bad , foods good , wife and I go from time to time

very mild ,woman wear shorts and t-shirts

nothing to see really lots of family's eating there

Bob Moyer
10-10-2007, 12:31 PM

It is difficult for me to discuss this without turning to my faith, which the attack on men is directly against. So needless to say, a little "humor" in advertising is not the only thing we are up against.

I am not anti-woman at all, I am pro family.

Sorry about the rant. My wife tells me to lighten up on this issue all the time, and I really am an easygoing guy. Cal

Have you ever seen a comedian named Brad Stine, he has a new cd coming out called "WUSSIFICATION" he emphasizes what has happened to the American Male

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-10-2007, 1:13 PM
I graduated from college in 94 as an idealistic 20 year old - Rush was on the air back then for sure.

I was idealistic once. Then I saw the price tag.

Bryan Berguson
10-10-2007, 9:45 PM
:D Yea, we got the power....but who has the control?:confused:

Gary K.

Someplace I heard that the man is the head but the women is the neck. The head only turns where the neck wants it too...:)

Bryan

Gary Keedwell
10-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Someplace I heard that the man is the head but the women is the neck. The head only turns where the neck wants it too...:)

Bryan
Ahhhhh Now I know the origin of " Your a pain in the neck":rolleyes: :D
Gary

Greg Peterson
10-11-2007, 12:12 PM
"The 70's brought us "Mash"...the biggest bleading heart feminist show in history."

I'll call your bluff and raise you 20. If you think MASH was feminist propaganda then you missed the rather blunt point of the movie and TV series.
I would say that One Day At A Time or Alice were feminist shows.

"Alan Alda was a poster boy for men to show the female side of men."

Well, it sure seemed to get him alot of women. Would you rather be a Frank Burns or a Hawkeye Pierce?

As for Ward Cleaver, that was yet another a Hollywood character that could never exist in the real world. No less fake than Hawkeye Pierce.

Gary Keedwell
10-11-2007, 2:12 PM
"The 70's brought us "Mash"...the biggest bleading heart feminist show in history."

I'll call your bluff and raise you 20. If you think MASH was feminist propaganda then you missed the rather blunt point of the movie and TV series.
I would say that One Day At A Time or Alice were feminist shows.

"Alan Alda was a poster boy for men to show the female side of men."

Well, it sure seemed to get him alot of women. Would you rather be a Frank Burns or a Hawkeye Pierce?

As for Ward Cleaver, that was yet another a Hollywood character that could never exist in the real world. No less fake than Hawkeye Pierce.
Yes, I know the rather blunt point of Mash was it's anti-war stance...it's antidote for Viet Nam...rada ,,rada...rada...
But numerous magazine articles and his subsequent liberal-minded left-leaning "films" made him a poster boy for the woman issues. Don't know if you are old enough to remember articles titled " Alan Alda and the new feminine side of the 70's man" or some facsimile.
As for the Ward to Hawkeye comparison, both characters were somebody's distorted vision of the real world.
But as a medic in a real war working with real doctors, I can tell you for real that I never saw any Hawkeyes. As a child growing up in the 50's, I can tell you that alot of kids wished they had a "Ward" for a father.
Gary

Greg Peterson
10-11-2007, 3:28 PM
"liberal-minded left-leaning"

Sorry, but isn't that more than a little redundant?

So a if I get your meaning correctly, by "liberal-minded left-leaning" person you are saying they would see the dancer spinning Anti-clockwise and a "conservative-minded right-leaning" person would see the dancer spinning Clockwise? Your statement certainly carries a strong negatively charged undercurrent.

Honestly, this whole whine feast about Lowes is just making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Gary Keedwell
10-11-2007, 6:15 PM
"Your statement certainly carries a strong negatively charged undercurrent."

Honestly, this whole whine feast about Lowes is just making a mountain out of a mole hill.[/quote]
Not at all. They wear my statement as a badge of honor. Your humor seems to have an undercurrent of very negative sarcasm:rolleyes: :D
GK

Jude Kingery
10-11-2007, 6:33 PM
Interesting a series of commercials caused such an uproar!

On the one hand, Nancy is EXACTLY correct in EVERYTHING she listed -and I might add one thing to that as well, women had to get their huband's or father's permission to get a pilots license until as recently as 1972 or 1979!!! I can't recall - but I did verify that as actually factual at the time through the FAA (my brother has a private pilot's license) because I simply was astounded. Sure enough if you were female prior to the 70's you HAD to have your husband or father do some signature thing for you because after all, women apparently were too stupid to fly with out a male's permission or something? That was true for all females although males as young as 15 could get a private pilot's license before they were legally able to obtain a driver's license, go figure. Julie, too, I think is correct. From Hooters to endless things objectifying women.

Now, at the same time - I LOVE blonde jokes and I think they're hysterical (yes, I am blonde). Laughs are important and Julie's right, man, pick your battles and apparently I am simply not easily offended at all by much of anything.

On the other hand - I guess I must be very atypical because I buy nothing based on advertising. People say "oh you do, you just don't know it." Have a friend in market reserach/analysis who asked me a series of questions one time and it made her laugh, she said "actually, apparently you do not, you disregard all the ads and commercials." Yep, I do - with one exception, as mentioned earlier, main reason we watch the Super Bowl are the Bud Light commercials - IF they're funny! Oh we may have some interest in the game depending on who's playing, but humor is attractive, doesn't make me buy a particular product, but I do enjoy a good laugh!

Interesting post, folks. Dont' sweat the small stuf! Jude

Steve Clardy
10-11-2007, 7:13 PM
Can't believe I just wasted 15 minutes reading this thread.:confused:

I should be putting up firewood for the approaching winter.;)

Gary Keedwell
10-11-2007, 7:16 PM
Can't believe I just wasted 15 minutes reading this thread.:confused:

I should be putting up firewood for the approaching winter.;)
Well, nobody twisted your arm:mad: :cool: :D
Now go to work!!!!!
GK

Greg Peterson
10-11-2007, 7:43 PM
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * !

Steve Clardy
10-11-2007, 8:01 PM
Well, nobody twisted your arm:mad: :cool: :D
Now go to work!!!!!
GK

Working............:D

Rob Bodenschatz
10-11-2007, 8:13 PM
<Read it quick before it gets deleted.>

how many men would find it acceptable for there to be a restaurant called "dicks" where men served dinner in orange speedos?

lol. She said "dicks". lol

First of all, I can't believe the most conservative forum on the planet let this one slide.

Second, I'm pretty sure there are some Dick's restaurants out there. I know there are some Big Peckers.

Jude Kingery
10-11-2007, 8:20 PM
Ha, Rob, yep, we do actually have a "Dick's" Restaurant/Bar in San Antonio on the River Walk. Would assume it's the guy's name, but maybe not, a very raucous place though and kinda fun if you want good cold beer, a loud time, lots of jokes. We'd rather probably stay home and grill a steak and sit on the deck and watch the birds and sun set, ha! Jude

Gary Keedwell
10-11-2007, 8:35 PM
My gosh, has this thread deteriorated or what? :eek: :D
GK

Tom Veatch
10-11-2007, 9:16 PM
...we do actually have a "Dick's" Restaurant/Bar in San Antonio on the River Walk. ...

No restaurants, but we do have a fairly large sporting goods store called "Dick's" in one of the malls here. I must confess that my thoughts wander somewhat each time I pass by the place.

Jim Dunn
10-12-2007, 7:35 AM
I read the first question/statement about Lowes and their commercials. I then read the last page------WHAT HAPPENED------?????

Steve I'm with you, but I'm going to my boat to clean it up:)

Dennis Peacock
10-12-2007, 8:43 AM
OK folks.....

Let's keep it "clean". Please remember that this IS a FAMILY forum and kids of all ages visit here including my 12 year old son.
Besides, what's all this gotta do with Lowes any way? :eek: :rolleyes:

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-12-2007, 9:03 AM
<Read it quick before it gets deleted.>

lol. She said "dicks". lol

First of all, I can't believe the most conservative forum on the planet let this one slide.

Second, I'm pretty sure there are some Dick's restaurants out there. I know there are some Big Peckers.

Oh come on we have a Vice President named Dick and one of my favorite presidents was nicknamed named Dick.

When I was little, I read a book with characters names Dick and Jane.

Dick Morris is on the Telly a lot.

I'm just not getting it.

Rob Bodenschatz
10-12-2007, 9:22 AM
Oh come on we have a Vice President named Dick and one of my favorite presidents was nicknamed named Dick.

When I was little, I read a book with characters names Dick and Jane.

Dick Morris is on the Telly a lot.

I'm just not getting it.

That's ok. I didn't get the post that started this thread. :rolleyes:

Lee DeRaud
10-12-2007, 10:25 AM
I didn't get the post that started this thread. :rolleyes:There's a lot of that going around.:p

Gary Keedwell
10-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Well, i guess it piqued enough people to produce 95 posts.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/evsac/Video/DONALD3.jpg Gary

Rob Bodenschatz
10-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Well, i guess it piqued enough people to produce 95 posts.

As would a train wreck. :p

Gary Keedwell
10-12-2007, 1:06 PM
As would a train wreck. :p
You think so?
GK

Greg Peterson
10-12-2007, 1:19 PM
I forget what the OP was about. :D

Tom Veatch
10-12-2007, 1:38 PM
...------WHAT HAPPENED------?????...

Thread drift. Not at all unusual in a thread with more than a few posts. Not the same phenomenon as the parlor game, "Gossip", but pretty much the same effect. More like a bunch of folks sitting around the pickle barrel in the old country store. The conversation starts out on one topic, but backs and veers such that it's soon heading in a completely different direction.

Gary Keedwell
10-12-2007, 1:54 PM
Thread drift. Not at all unusual in a thread with more than a few posts. Not the same phenomenon as the parlor game, "Gossip", but pretty much the same effect. More like a bunch of folks sitting around the pickle barrel in the old country store. The conversation starts out on one topic, but backs and veers such that it's soon heading in a completely different direction.
"Thread drift" I like that one. Now where were we? Oh yea, I think the Cowboys will have to play the game of their collective lives to stand a chance Sunday against the New England Patriots.........;)
Gary

Gary Keedwell
10-12-2007, 2:20 PM
Alright ...who's gonna be the lucky 100th poster.....Oh my gosh..too late...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/evsac/Video/Laughdog.gif Gary

Greg Peterson
10-12-2007, 3:01 PM
"Oh yea, I think the Cowboys will have to play the game of their collective lives to stand a chance Sunday against the New England Patriots.........;)"

This game falls under that category of "Unfortunately, one of 'em has to win".

I'll be videoing taping the game ;).

Tom Veatch
10-12-2007, 3:52 PM
"Thread drift" I like that one. ...

In some of the unmoderated fora (forums?) I've frequented, you could count on the 6th or 7th post in a thread having little or no relationship to the subject of the thread. (sort of like this post) SMC is really pretty good, comparatively, about staying on topic.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-12-2007, 5:12 PM
I forget what the OP was about. :D

There was an OP?

Greg Peterson
10-12-2007, 10:29 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/05/04/arts/SNL190.jpg

"I'm all verklempt.Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic. "The peanut is neither a pea nor a nut. Discuss."

Gary Keedwell
10-12-2007, 11:11 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/05/04/arts/SNL190.jpg

"I'm all verklempt.Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic. "The peanut is neither a pea nor a nut. Discuss."
Ahhhh A hybrid???
GK

Dennis Peacock
10-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Let this discussion end here folks. This thread has LONG ventured from the OP and this thread will close with any further non-dicsussion from the OP topic.

Greg Peterson
10-13-2007, 2:11 PM
I don't believe boycotts are an effective means of protesting a retailer. These days, if you want to be heard by a corporation that isn't run by Bob Nardelli (http://overtonecomm.blogspot.com/2006/06/trusting-stakeholders-home-depot-gets.html) your best bet is to become a stock holder in a particular corporation and voice your concerns to the board of directors.

Short of that, a single voice is merely a whisper in a hurricane. Regardless, I admire your convictions.

Gary Keedwell
10-13-2007, 3:05 PM
I would never base my consumer decisions on some obscure executive's choice of advertising agency. Policies, customer service, available products etc. are important for my money and me.
Gary

Randy Denby
10-13-2007, 5:48 PM
I bet the Patriots shop at Lowes.....bunch of girly men :)

Go Cowboys !!!

Greg Peterson
10-13-2007, 5:52 PM
I wonder where they buy their video equipment?

And the Cowboys? At least the Pats play outdoors.

:D:D:D:D

But I digress. I agree with Gary :eek:. I try not to be influenced by advertising, but I can't be 100% certain that I'm not occasionally influenced. Advertising is simply too pervasive and sophisticated. And I wager the most effective advertising doesn't even register for most folks. That whole subliminal thing.

If I can't buy American at a reasonable price, then best (in no particular order)service/price/product determines where I'll spend my dollars.

Gary Keedwell
10-13-2007, 6:02 PM
I bet the Patriots shop at Lowes.....bunch of girly men :)

Go Cowboys !!!

LOL I"ve had a lousy afternoon but that made me laugh.:)
We'll see who is wearing the skirts after the Pats get through b**** Slapping them silly. LOL
Go Pats!!!