PDA

View Full Version : solid stock wood plaque supplier

Craig Hogarth
05-29-2007, 3:51 PM
Anyone know of a supplier where I can buy wood plaques without gluelines or at least good solid stock in the middle? I'm getting into 3d engraving and the gluelines aren't helping.

Nancy Laird
05-29-2007, 4:26 PM
Craig, my hubby and I make plaques from hard maple. We can make them up to about 6-7" wide if we can get good stock that wide--otherwise they have to be joined. I have some that are 6" and 7" wide solid stock if you'd like to talk about them. You can see a sample of our stock plaques at this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=54784.

If you'd like to discuss further, please PM me.

Nancy

Craig Hogarth
05-29-2007, 4:45 PM
pm sent. thanks!

Richard Rumancik
05-30-2007, 10:41 AM
You won't be able to get wider than about 6" or 7" or you may get warpage with time. I had some plaques made by a cabinet door manufacturer and even some of the 6" plaques warped after a few years.

I would work with a supplier to find a glue that the laser can cut through. There may be some glues that will laser-cut easier and yet still bond properly. (The glues used to laminate plywood are very hard and won't laser cut easily.) You could do some tests yourself: bond scrap pieces using various wood glues and see which works best. Then specify that particular adhesive when ordering panels.

You may have to request better color matching and grain matching etc. on your specifications. It is a bit subjective, but if they know what the panels are used for, they can probably accomodate.