PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
05-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Wow...Memorial Day flew by didn't it!!!
29 May 2007

I spent most of this weekend offline from computer stuff, until now, and spent the entire weekend (after the day job) playing frisbee with the kids, sitting on the front porch with the LOLM, watching movies with the family, talking and reconnecting with my kids. No real woodworking for me, but we did cook out on Memorial Day and we did take time to remember all those that gave their all for our freedom.

So what did YOU do this holiday weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jim Becker
05-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Sore muscles, mosquito bites and a small rash on my forearms from "sticky weed" from three days of heavy landscaping work...but it needed to be done. Given the recent "sprinkler surprise" for the addition, I just cannot hire any day labor help this time around, so I'm re-cutting the edging, weeding, trimming and mulching alone. (We have a LOT of landscaping gardens we maintain and more since we added the new driveway--it's really not a one-person job, but that's life) One or two more weekends and I can get back in the shop working on cabinetry...

I did get some nice holly for spinny work, however, given the large one that I had to take down due to a strange death over the winter. I'll miss the tree, but will enjoy the wood! :D

Jude Kingery
05-29-2007, 11:28 AM
Hi Dennis,

Yes, quite a weekend. This was our 19th year for an annual event called the Junction Kitemakers' Retreat - we had a wonderful time and many art projects, flying kites (by the way the turned Mesquite bowls I donated for the auction sold quite well). So a nice time. Now we're home sunburned, tired - but a good tired from time well spent with friends - and ready to unpack and put things away. Hope everyone had a good weekend and also thanks for remembering our Veterens. My father fought in WWII and the day of course has deeper meaning than just playing with friends, yet, what a nice way to celebrate the freedoms we do have in thanking those who protect those freedoms. Jude

Dan Gill
05-29-2007, 11:53 AM
I actually got a little shop time and finished fitting the drawers to my daughter's dresser, and even started on the drawer fronts and doors.

We went to my daughter (and her dog's) first agility trial yesterday. Fortunately, it was in a covered arena and the weather was cool, if rainy. They were running in the pre-novice class on the regular course, and once in the jumping course. They almost qualified on the jumps course, but the dog went around the last jump and jumped it backwards. But for their first trial, this was great, and my daughter got a lot of encouragement from everyone.

Matt Benton
05-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Finished building my new tool stand.

Also turned a spare motor into a bench grinder. Used a 5/8" X 8 Hex bolt as a tool rest, works really well.

Jim O'Dell
05-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Good to hear the report Dan. Everyone at the Agility Trials are great people. They truly pull for everyone to Q. A neighbor of ours went to that trial, and got 3 out of 4 Qs. She was quite happy.
I spent Sat working on the sprinkler pump housing, but rainey weather kept me from the creek setting the posts ad cutting PVC and electrical and it's conduit. Sunday was in the shop building the panels for my multistation bench. Built my master panel to go by, then had wood and time for 4 more cut and dryfitted, and verified that they were all the same finished size. Worked yesterday 11 hours, 1 more hour in the shop cutting the 2X4's for 2 more panels, and dry fitted one more together. Need to cut another piece of plywood to have enough panels to start assembling one 12' section of bench. Will work on that this afternoon after work.
Light rain here today. Nice and cool, mid 60's. Jim.

Nancy Laird
05-29-2007, 12:41 PM
Hi all, we actually took a RARE day off from the shop and the lasers and played on Saturday - went to a local wine festival, then to a fair at Jemez Pueblo. Sunday and Monday it was back to the laser and shop, finishing up a 36x24" maple plaque blank and crating it to ship; lasering 30 pen boxes, lasering and finishing 18 plaques and a batch of name tags. LOML also worked on converting some scroll-saw patterns to vector cutting and we cut some clock patterns from acrylic. They'll be killers when assembled---after the clock inserts get here. I'll post pictures. Have a happy week, everyone. We're going to start getting HOT in New Mexico.

I still want to encourage anyone who is going to be in Vegas for AWFS to join us for a Creeker dinner. See the AWFS post in the General forum for details.

Nancy

Jim Grill
05-29-2007, 1:49 PM
I visited a local, independent WW store Saturday morning. They had some nice Jet and Powermatic equipment on display. Very nice owners. I bought some really cool, exotic veneer. I can't pronounce the name of it. I'll post pics after I use it for something.

The rest of the weekend involved no WW.

We had a storm rip through Bucks County, PA Sunday night and the neighbors lost a huge limb from a very old tree, which was hanging precariously on the fence between our yards. I have a chain saw and a 10 HP chipper so I offered to clean up the mess if they wanted to pitch in.

I had a rope tied to the branch, which was still hanging by a thread, as we trimmed off the stuff on the ground. I was lowering the rest of the heavy limb down when the rope snapped causing me to punch myself right in the nose. Luckily the limb caused no damage as it plummeted to the ground, but it took 20 minutes to stop the blood that was pouring out of both of my nostrils. I don't think it's broken, but I hit it so hard that even my two front teeth hurt! :o

I just want to get back in the shop where it's safe.

I hope everyone else had a better end to their weekend than me!

Don Bullock
05-29-2007, 2:17 PM
My weekend was for the dogs. Between dog shows and driving many hours to pick up and deliver dogs for a breeding we were doing this weekend (Mother Nature doesn't care that it's a holiday weekend) I didn't have any time to do much else. We did manage to get our female bred twice, but won't know until we do an ultrasound in four weeks if it took. One of our other girls won Best of Breed at two of the four dog shows over the weekend. She's currently well within the top 10 basset hounds in the country in Best of Breed points (number of bassets defeated) and we hope to keep her there for the year.

Karl Laustrup
05-29-2007, 3:23 PM
Howdy Dennis.

Played some golf Saturday and Monday. Sunday LOML and I finished up the flower bed in front with some more flowers and some bark/mulch. Looks much nicer now.

Grilled some brats Sunday. YUM! YUM! And watched the 500 & 600. The rest of the time we just relaxed and enjoyed the weather.

Oh yeah, we also gave thanks for all those past and present who made/make this long weekend with family and friends possible.

Karl

Matt Meiser
05-29-2007, 3:34 PM
More time out of town for me. We visited my brother in Columbus after I spent the week near there for work. Between vacation and the new job, today is only about the 5th day home for me in over 3 weeks. :-(

Al Willits
05-29-2007, 4:08 PM
We started on Wednesday and after 36 holes of golf, planting 8 pepper plants, 6 tomatoe plants and assorted flowers, several hours cleaning the garage, welding a throttle linkage for a race buddies car, building another trellis, cutting and routing new stiles and rails from the storage cabinet disaster, and wandering aimlessly behind the wife as she visited every garden store in 75 miles, then wandering though Cabella's while she followed aimlessly, I can almost honestly say I'm glad to get back to work....almost...:)

Al....who's suffering from tired puppy syndrome...:D

Bill Wyko
05-29-2007, 5:50 PM
Painted the workshop, hung the facia and started roofing the new diggs. I should be done with the whole enchalada this weekend. Then it'll be time for electricity.:D I haven't had a day off in about 2 months, since I started this ordeal. I'm really looking foreward to sitting down and enjoying a tall cool one.:D I think I can make it one more weekend.

Tyler Howell
05-29-2007, 8:35 PM
Great week.
Just stopped home long enough to pack fresh undies then I'm out the door again.
Lots of progress on the new place. Cut wood before it gets too hot and buggy.
Pulled wire in the gargemahal. I have 1) 120 20A 2) 240 20A & 1) 240 40A ckts all plumbed and pulled for the shop. These are drop cords with twist and or locking pluggs that work real nice.

Played with the new Bota. Coated the MMM deck and used the FEL for heavy lifting.

Pulled of the back hoe for mowing. Had to fight my guests who wanted to play with my toys, so I built them a sand box to play in.

Maurice Metzger
05-29-2007, 9:05 PM
Woodworking wise, just did some sharpening and cleaned up some tenons:

Otherwise, took it easy. Watched a small town style parade on Monday, veterans, Boy Scouts, fire engines, etc.