PDA

View Full Version : Sidewalk Repair/Maintenance

John Schreiber
05-29-2007, 10:22 AM
I've got some cracks in the sidewalk running up to my house which seem to be getting bigger. They are at the "creases" put in when the sidewalk was layed, but they are as much as 1/2 inch wide and one has a slight change in height which trips up the snow shovel.

Should I fill the space with sand and apply a sealant over them? Should I dig out the sand that's in there and seal them? What kind of sealant? Should I ignore it and hope for the best?

Lee Schierer
05-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Those crease are put there so the concrete will crack there and not randomly. You can get some concrete sealant to seal the craks, I would suggest inserting a foam caulking backer so you don't have to fill the entire crack. You also need to address the cause for the cracks which is most likely poor drainage. Water under the sidewalk will freeze and lift up the sidewalk causing it to crack. If a good gravel base wasn't put down that could be part of the problem. The steel mesh they should have embedded in the concrete should keep the pieces tight together.

Anthony Anderson
05-29-2007, 1:26 PM
If the section of the sidewalk that poses a tripping hazard is level, and it is the adjoining section that is lower (sunken), some concrete companies can lift/jack up the lower section and pump some concrete underneath. When the concrete hardens they remove the supports and the lower part of the sidewalk stays even with the adjoining section.

If one section looks as though it has lifted due to freeze/thaw action, and you are concerned about a potential trip hazard (as you should be), then you could call in a curb grinding company (some concrete companies grind curbs) and have them to grind it level with the adjoining section.

Or you could have the bad piece of concrete cut out. Drill into the adjoining concrete sections and install short sections of rebar, and then repour the slab of concrete that was cut out.

Make sure, as Lee stated, to correct any drainage problems first. It doesn't sound like the contractors installed reinforcing wire in the sidewalk before they poured.

Good Luck. Bill

Al Wasser
05-29-2007, 2:54 PM
Reinforcing wire, gravel base, compaction??? you guys been smoking something or just dreaming??? The only way around here you get that is to pay extra and be there when they pore

John Schreiber
05-30-2007, 9:18 AM
Thanks for the help.

It seems to me that the objective is to minimize the amount of water getting down there which is certainly causing damage when it freezes.

My current plan is to fill as much of the space as possible with sand, driving it in with a water hose as needed. Let that dry out and seal it with concrete caulk.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-30-2007, 4:29 PM
Whose sidewalk is it? And who is responsible for it's maintainance on that level?

Ya might want to call the town and ask if they want you doing anything to it.

John Schreiber
05-30-2007, 4:31 PM
Yep, it's between my driveway and front door. Can't blame it on the city this time.