PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Question

Robert Huffman
05-29-2007, 8:41 AM
I am in the market for my first table saw. My present interest is building boxes, but expect that interest to expand to larger projects. Space and funds are at a premium.

A local store has a Jet 708100 for a little over $400. I will appreciate hearing your experience and any suggestions.

Thanks.

Bob
Louisville, KY

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-29-2007, 9:23 AM
Unless space is your enemy consider going with the used machine market and getting a full scale saw.

Chuck Lenz
05-29-2007, 10:01 AM
I'd look for a Delta with a Beisemeyer fence or a Unifence.

Jim Becker
05-29-2007, 11:35 AM
I'd look for a Delta with a Beisemeyer fence or a Unifence.

Why? (I'm just asking you to clarify your response to the OP)

--------

Robert, the Jet saw you ask about appears to be a very nice saw for the money...

Jim Grill
05-29-2007, 11:39 AM
I think the Jet CS is a fine choice. You can always upgrade it as your hobby grows.

Russ Filtz
05-29-2007, 1:34 PM
The JET is a great little saw. I have the step up with solid cast iron wing, extension table, and the Bies copy fence. Paid around $700-800, but that was a few years ago.

Note that these are the contractor's model, not a full cabinet saw design. Unless you're really serious about WW, then I'd go for it and then upgrade as suggested. If serious now, then maybe try the used route to get a better saw now.

Chuck Lenz
05-29-2007, 2:11 PM
Why do I suggest a Delta with a Beismeyer fence or a Unifence ? Because if you lookup the saw he is looking at I'm not so sure it's even as good as a Contractors saw, the motor is inside the cabinet, and the fence doesn't look that great. If he were to buy a Delta Contractors saw he could get one with a Beismeyer fence or a Unifence allready on it. A good fence is just as important as how good the saw is. I'm not saying he has to buy new, there are good used Contractor saws out there that people are selling so they can upgrade to a cabinet saw. I have a Delta Contractors saw with a 30" Unifence, A fenner Drives PowerTwist belt, and dust collection that I designed for my saw. I've had this saw for over 12 years and it has performed very well for me. Recently I've thought about buying a Unisaw, but after asking the people that are selling the used ones why they are selling them, I'm finding almost all of the people are telling me they are moveing and can't afford to take it with them because of the wieght. After more consideration I came to the conclusion that I'm young enough still that someday I may move and don't need the headache of worrying about moveing the saw and also do I really need the saw ? No, I'd just be buying the saw to keep up with the Joneses. I guess it isn't important as to which brand of saw he buys, most of the brands are good, just make sure it has a good fence on it like the two I described.

nic obie
05-29-2007, 3:18 PM
Believe it or not, I think that for a first saw the high end (:D ) Ryobi would be a good place to start.

They are cheap, have a small sliding table and when tuned do nice work. Might not be the best for cutting 3" purpleheart, but will do a fine job on about any 1x or 2x stuff you throw at it.

I just put one together for a friend and was pleasantly surprised.

Jim Becker
05-29-2007, 3:41 PM
Chuck, I just looked at the drawings in the manual for the Jet saw that OP asks about. It's still belt driven, but like the hybrids, the system is contained within the cabinet. This does have an advantage for space behind the saw, although it makes the cabinet "tighter" relative to maintenance.

Your point about an accurate fence is correct...it doesn't have to be pretty, but it needs to stay in adjustment.

Chuck Lenz
05-29-2007, 5:22 PM
Jim, before I had the Delta Contractors table saw I had a Delta Motorized table saw. It looked like a Contractors saw but the motor was inside the cabinet and it was a belt drive also, a cogged belt with a cheap fence. Sure it worked for awhile. But it's nothing I'd buy again knowing what I know now. Trying to save a buck on a tool usually ends up costing you more in the long run if your really commited to the hobby. Buy it once, not twice. But who knows what the guy needs, everyones needs are different. For all we know a straight edge and a circular saw may work for him too.

Gary Keedwell
05-29-2007, 5:40 PM
I am in the market for my first table saw. My present interest is building boxes, but expect that interest to expand to larger projects. Space and funds are at a premium.

A local store has a Jet 708100 for a little over $400. I will appreciate hearing your experience and any suggestions.

Thanks.

Bob
Louisville, KY
I think Chuck makes a good point and the OP did ask for ANY SUGGESTIONS, right?
Gary K.;)

Robert Huffman
05-29-2007, 9:24 PM
Thanks, I appreciate ALL and EACH of the responses. From the comments, my conclusions are: 1) The Jet 708100 is a saw of good value, but not the equivalent of the cabinet saws; 2) Be sure the fence is a good one; 3) Watch the used market before buying the Jet because there may be a better value there.

Clearly, I need to do some additional research on the various options for fences. Again, I remain quite open to explanations and suggestions.

Thanks again, I do appreciate the information.

Bob Huffman
Louisville, KY

scott spencer
05-29-2007, 10:23 PM
The feedback I've been reading on the 708100 has been quite positive. It is a full size hybrid with 1.5hp induction motor, and it has a one piece cast connection between the trunnions. I'd prefer cast iron wings and a steel fence, but @ $400 I think it offers alot in a new saw. Those items can always be upgrade later if desired.

Here's a discussion about it on another forum:
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/708100 (http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB2&Number=3076738&Forum=f2&Words=708100&Searchpage=0&Limit=50&Main=3075339&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=3&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post3076738)