PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop Saw for Woodworking

Michael Schwartz
05-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Right now I am in the market for a benchtop saw. I am looking at the Dewalt DW745 and a used Ryobi BT3000. I would probably go for the DW745 but I might be able to get the ryobi which is basicly brand new for under 250$ I like the idea of the sliding table on the Ryobi, and also as I understand the arbor is long enough to accept a dado set.

From the looks of the fence on the DW745 the fence seems like it should be pretty accurate, and overall it seems like a pretty beefy saw.

I prety much want a saw for ripping and light crosscutting. I really don't care about cutting sheet goods, and I am planning to get a EZ Smart setup to use with my circular saw.

I am planning to get a cabinet saw as soon as I set up a full shop. In the interem I will probably get the SawStop contracters saw when it is available.

Any sugesstions or comments related to the DW745, BT3000 or any other benchtop saw on the market would be greatly aprriciated.

The one thing I really care about is accuracy.

Tyler Purcell
05-29-2007, 6:50 AM
I don't have any experience with the Dewalt, however, the BT3 is a great saw. In fact, it's such a great saw that it seems to have a sort of cult following here on the web. Check out the following site and they'll tell you which saw to get... (a BT3 lol)

http://www.bt3central.com/

Mikail Khan
05-29-2007, 7:45 AM
Take a look at the bosch TS4000-09. It is $429 from amazon with a gravity rise stand. The fence is very accurate. I have never used the Ryobi or Dewalt.

Von Bickley
05-29-2007, 8:15 AM
My choice would be the Bosch.....:)

Burt Waddell
05-29-2007, 8:37 AM
Michael,

Thru the years, I have owned several of the bench top saws - Delta, DeWalt, Porter Cable, Makita, etc. All have their pluses and minuses. Overall, I think that I would rate the DeWalt as best based solely on the fence. It was a pleasure to use. In more recent years, I have started using the EZ Smart guide system. After I found the portable table sat on the truck because I was using the EZ Smart all of the time, I just left the portable table saw in the shop. The EZ is more precise and consistently delivers top quality results. Accuracy is great. At this stage of the game, I am ready to get rid of another unisaw because it is being replaced with the EZ Bridge system. The EZ system is safer, more accurate and easier to use.

My recommendation is buy the EZ Smart set first and give it a good honest try. There is a learning curve involved and it takes a while to reprogram your brain to think EZ.

Burt

Brad Townsend
05-29-2007, 9:10 AM
Take a look at the bosch TS4000-09. It is $429 from amazon with a gravity rise stand. The fence is very accurate. I have never used the Ryobi or Dewalt.
If you consider the Bosch, you may want to wait a bit. They are introducing an upgraded version of the 4000, the 4100. Details:

http://www.boschtools.com/about-bosch-tools/press-room/4100+Table+Saws.htm

Rob Bodenschatz
05-29-2007, 9:17 AM
Why buy one of those fancy table saws when you can have this for $30???

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=58797

Sorry, couldn't resist.:p

Michael Schwartz
05-29-2007, 10:50 PM
If I can't get a steal on the bt3000 I will probably get the Dewalt because it is so portable and seems to be pretty well made. I will also look at the Bosch, I have used an older bosch contractor saw that was great. I am not really looking for anything more than a benchtop saw right now. I can drive 15 miles and use a Sawstop at a membership shop if I need to do any really serious work.

I am already sold on the EZsmart system and orriginaly I saw it as beeing "good for plywood" but now I keep thinking back to all sorts of projects where it would have been better than any of the tens of thousands of dollars or equipment I used to make them. Right now I am making do with a couple of shooting boards I made for my circular saw.

Michael Schwartz
06-12-2007, 12:04 AM
Michael,

Thru the years, I have owned several of the bench top saws - Delta, DeWalt, Porter Cable, Makita, etc. All have their pluses and minuses. Overall, I think that I would rate the DeWalt as best based solely on the fence. It was a pleasure to use. In more recent years, I have started using the EZ Smart guide system. After I found the portable table sat on the truck because I was using the EZ Smart all of the time, I just left the portable table saw in the shop. The EZ is more precise and consistently delivers top quality results. Accuracy is great. At this stage of the game, I am ready to get rid of another unisaw because it is being replaced with the EZ Bridge system. The EZ system is safer, more accurate and easier to use.

My recommendation is buy the EZ Smart set first and give it a good honest try. There is a learning curve involved and it takes a while to reprogram your brain to think EZ.

Burt

I have decided to go with the EZ Smart over a benchtop saw altogehter. I was planning to get a EZ Cabinetmaker setup for cutting and squaring panels, and then a benchtop saw, but for the price of the benchtop saw, a good blade, and stand, It is cheaper to get a B200 Bridge setup to go with the SGS100" package and two 25" bridge rails which I will mount to portable stands.

Larry Conely
06-12-2007, 8:43 AM
I can only comment on my experience with the Ryobi 3000. I purchased one to use at a cottage I am restoring a considerable distance from my home. I have been very pleasantly surprised by the performance of the Ryobi. I bought it used with folding front outfeed table, side extension table, miter bar inserts (a great addition), stand, dust collection bag (a not-so-great addition), and several blades for $125. It has all the power I have needed, although i have not ripped anything thicker than 2x4s. Accuracy has been better than I anticipated on both sheet goods and lumber. The outfeed table is a blessing here since I do most of my work alone. I have found the miter gauge insert and a miter gauge to be more useful and faster to use than the sliding table. As you can tell, I've become a fan. You might consider watching for a used one. they pop up on boards and auctions frequently.

Good luck,

Larry

scott spencer
06-12-2007, 9:11 AM
Hi Michael - Many of us go through a similar evolution of saws to get to our desired end destination with that tool, but most of us don't plan it that way...for most, it just sort of works out that way due to lack of insights of knowledge. Planning to own 3 table saws plus an EZ Smart system seems very expensive and inefficient to me. You have the benefit of knowing what you want ahead of time, so I'd consider skipping the interum step of a contractor saw.

As for your immediate needs, I'd consider looking into the new GI-50-090. They call it a jobsite saw, but it appears to be identical to the fullsize Jet 708100 hybrid with the added benefit of a very sturdy roll away leg stand. These two saws feature an inboard belt driven induction motor, cast iron top, and a single piece cast blade shroud connecting the front and rear trunnions. The overall footprint is smaller than a contractor saw, bigger than a benchtop, and has excellent stowability along with the capacity and bigger mass of a stationary saw....food for thought anyway.

From what I've read the BT does not hold settings when moved frequently, if that's what you'll need to do.

http://www.general.ca/machines/gi/50/g_50090k.jpg

Jim Heffner
06-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Michael, either one should do a good job for you. If you by the BT3000
it is a saw that is better left in one location others are better for hauling around to job sites.

I have the newer version of the BT3000, the Bt3100 is is a very dependable , reliable and accurate saw. I have modified mine considerably
just to suit my personal likes and I think it is much better now than in
the stock configuration from the factory. The EZ smart system should do a great job of helping in large sheet cutting if you work by yourself,
handling large sheets on most table saws is a real pain in the backside
anyway. Jim Heffner

Bruce Benjamin
06-13-2007, 1:06 PM
I have decided to go with the EZ Smart over a benchtop saw altogehter. I was planning to get a EZ Cabinetmaker setup for cutting and squaring panels, and then a benchtop saw, but for the price of the benchtop saw, a good blade, and stand, It is cheaper to get a B200 Bridge setup to go with the SGS100" package and two 25" bridge rails which I will mount to portable stands.

Michael, you've made the right choice. You'll see that the EZ will serve your needs very well. Long ago I bought a bench top saw and kept if for a few days. That was all I needed to realize that it wouldn't work for me. Unfortunately, at the time EZ didn't exist so I went with the General International 50-185 contractor saw. While it's probably the best contractor saw available and it's served me well, I almost never use it anymore because the EZ is taking it's place. There is a learning curve, as Burt said. But it's not like learning how to write with the other hand. To me it's all pretty logical and intuitive for most basic uses. But there are also all of the uses and tricks that you might have never thought of that pop up all the time on the EZ forum and at the EZ website. That's the fun part.:cool:

Bruce