PDA

View Full Version : Irwin Auger Bits

Cliff Ober
05-28-2007, 10:23 PM
36216.1 (http://forums.taunton.com/fw-knots/messages?msg=36216.1)
Does anyone happen to know when Irwin went from a wooden storage box with individual routed grooves and a swing out bottom drawer for their auger bits to a simpler hinged wooden box with metal clips to hold the bits?

I'm trying to get a rough idea of the age of a 13 piece set I've acquired that's in nearly new condition. The wooden box has the original price written on it in pencil ($17.85) and there are a couple of small string tags still with the set. I'm just curious how old they are.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cliff

Mike Brady
05-29-2007, 8:02 PM
Clif, I have recently acquired the same set as yours and the only clue I found to age of the bits was the copyright on the back of the little instruction book that was tucked behind the lid. Mine said 1967. Not sure how to go back to the year that they actually changed the cases. Like Yours, my bits appeared to be almost unused and never filed. By the way Chris Schwarz told me that he feels that the Irwins are, in his opinion, superior to the Russell Jennings because of chip removal. The Irwins are much better cutting than my former set, for sure.

Richard Niemiec
05-29-2007, 9:17 PM
I got a set I traded for a slightly distressed Stanley #7 Jointer, and I think I got the better of the trade. Mine were in the box with the clips, and the guy I traded said they were his father's, from the late 50's. Mine are fabulous, I use them more than I would have thought.

RN

Dale Warder
05-30-2007, 12:36 PM
I have a boxed set of Irwin solid shank auger bits in the wooden case with metal clips. I purchased this set new in 1959. It also has a green card in the lid stating that these are as advertised in Saturday Evening Post. The purchase price of $14.95 is penciled on this card. I have used these bits continuously since purchase and am quite please with them.

Hope this helps in the dating of your bits.

Dale

Harry Goodwin
05-30-2007, 3:36 PM
I still have the set you described. I bought it from a fellow who bought iit at one of those old time auctions at flea market that were popular around Phila in the 50"ties. I paid him $10 for the brand new set in the hinged box you described in 52. Harry

Cliff Ober
05-31-2007, 1:33 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I suspected that they were made in the 1950's but wasn't sure.

Within 5 minutes of unpacking the set I bought I was using one of them to bore holes for the vise I was installing in a bench. They cut very nicely, and do clear the chips well. As a test later, I bored a 1 inch hole about three inches deep into endgrain live oak. It took a considerable amount of effort with the brace, but the hole turned out clean and accurate. There's no way my corded electric drill would have been able to make that hole.

Good tools are fun!

Cliff