PDA

View Full Version : My First 2 Bowls

Dale Bright
05-28-2007, 9:44 PM
I don't post much here but I have learned a lot from all of you and I would like to thank all the members here for sharing the wealth of knowledge that I have found here. I don't get much time to turn, since I got my lathe set up in Feb., but I have managed to turn a couple Kaleidscopes, a few bottle stoppers, 3 pens and these 2 bowls.

The little oak bowl is from a 2 X 6 White Oak scrap from a friends shop. It is 1 3/4 by 5 1/4. This is the first bowl I turned about a month ago.

The Cherry bowl is from a round 2 X 8 dry blank I bought at a club meeting. The Cherry bowl finished to 7 1/2 X 1 3/4. Both bowls are Danish oiled and buffed to a light gloss. The thickness of both is about 5/16".

Actually I turned one bowl before these 2 but it is a rough turned natural edge Pin Oak bowl that is drying for a few more months before finsh turning.

Thanks for looking and please comment and critique. I don't have a photo tent and these pics are a little lacking.

Pete Jordan
05-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Dale,

You are well on your way and no doubt Hooked!

Mike A. Smith
05-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Very nice Dale. I'm very new as well, but these look like great first efforts to me. There are specs for a photo tent on this site; I've just cobble one together myself...

Steve Schlumpf
05-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Dale - you have a couple of really nice bowls! Nice classic forms on both. Finish looks pretty good as well! As far as a critique - you are headed in the right direction - so just keep turning! The more you turn, the more you experiment will different shapes and the easier it all becomes. I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Bernie Weishapl
05-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Dale those are a couple of beauties. You are on your way. Keep'em coming.

Dale Bright
05-29-2007, 3:24 PM
Everyone, thanks for the kind words. The vortex is strong and the wallet is weak but I will drive on in the pursiut of making sawdust on the spinny thing.

Jim Becker
05-29-2007, 4:14 PM
Nice work, Dale. Keep 'em coming!

Tom Sherman
05-29-2007, 4:55 PM
Dale these are two very nice first efforts. looks like you have a good grip on things.