PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Pen *PICS*

Ken Salisbury
01-07-2004, 9:14 AM
I have been foolin around with Corian for the last week or so. I think I am getting there thanks to Ken Dolph and Scott Greeves.

Scott asked if I had given any thought to trying to make a "segmented" pen along with some advise on using Corian.

So yesterday I thought I would give the "segmented" idea a shot. The result was 50% success. The 50% failure was a dumb operator error. I made the necessary glue ups and whipped them hummers on the lathe and started making cuts. Boom !! tried to take too big of a cut (big mistake with Corian), got the gouge caught up and blew the lower blank apart. (live and learn :) ). I finished the upper blank, assembled it and glued up a new lower blank. I had to leave it cure overnight. I am looking forward to getting in the shop (as soon as the heaters get going this morning) and turning the bottom blank. I will add a photo of the finished product to this thread later today.

I also glued up a layered secret compartment key ring and turned that.

I am really pleased with these 2 experimental projects so far. I have just about got the basic Corian pen making down pat - have 20 of them made so far (piece of cake!).

Dick Parr
01-07-2004, 9:51 AM
There looking good Ken :p

Todd Burch
01-07-2004, 10:29 AM
I like the one on the right. It won't roll off the table. (Course, if I could make a flat table, I wouldn't have that problem...)

Ken Salisbury
01-07-2004, 10:31 AM
I like the one on the right. It won't roll off the table. (Course, if I could make a flat table, I wouldn't have that problem...)

20,000 comedians out of work and you try to audition :D :D :D

Ray Dockrey
01-07-2004, 11:01 AM
Ken,

Thanks so much for keeping us updated and with the posting of the photos. I have just started playing around with using corian and your suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated.

Ray

Scott Greaves
01-07-2004, 3:41 PM
Hey Ken,

It's looking good! I knew you'd enjoy trying out that segmented pen! I can hardly wait to see the whole thing when it's done!

Scott.

Chris Padilla
01-07-2004, 5:05 PM

Hmm, seriously speaking here, I think Todd has a good point. A pen/pencil with some sections left square (or hexagonal or septagonal or octagonal or....) might be nice to have around the shop. I don't usually keep a pencil on me (maybe I should) but tend to leave 4 or 5 in strategic points in the shop and end up combing the floor for them. (They are never in the mitre slots I am supposed to keep them in!)

Are there pen turners who turn in metal as well? I was thinking that a nice copper or titanium pen might be cool. :D Copper and Mesquite might look cool together.... Shoot...now I'm getting ideas and I've never turned anything in my life...including right! :p

Chris

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-07-2004, 6:52 PM
Pretty cool Ken. I just knew you would come up with something with that stash of Corain you have that would make me go WOW..........and this is it! I really like that Pen...........a bit of trouble with the glue up, but the end result is very nice. As you know, "different" is what sells...........and these are really different. NICE STUFF! Thanks for letting us taking a look. :)

Aaron Koehl
01-08-2004, 8:43 AM
Very nice looking pen, Ken!

Ken Salisbury
01-08-2004, 6:09 PM
Hey Ken,

It's looking good! I knew you'd enjoy trying out that segmented pen! I can hardly wait to see the whole thing when it's done!

Scott.Here it is Scott. However, I am not really all that pleased with it. As you can see there are 4 different colors on the top and 4 additional different colors on the bottom barrel. I think it would look better if both the upper and lower barrels were made up of the same 4 colors. So - I will make 1 new top and 1 new bottom to match. Gives me a good excuse to have 2 segmented pens :D. The next experiment will be to make a couple of wooden segmented ones.