PDA

View Full Version : Not much, but...

Mike A. Smith
05-28-2007, 5:16 PM
LOML asked me to make a candlestick for a friend's wedding. I've only been turning a short while, but sure I can do some pretty candlesticks. "Oh by the way, you should make a pair." :eek: You mean like two things that look exactly the same?!

It turns out what she wanted was very simple lines that would work with any setting and just showed off the wood. I'm posting the pic for two reasons:

1. I actually made a matched pair. (Big step for me.)
2. Wanted to see what you thought of how my new photo set up worked.

Steven Triggs
05-28-2007, 5:23 PM
I think they look really nice. I can tell that they aren't 100% identical, but I think that is a good thing. They look like they were handcrafted instead of made in a factory.

Very nice!

Tom Sherman
05-28-2007, 7:49 PM
Mike I think you nailed it very nice candlesticks. Photos aren't bad either.

Paul Engle
05-28-2007, 8:21 PM
Nice work Mike, next time cut a silohuete out of cardboard of the first one it may help with multiples next time, it vastly improved my candle sticks I made for LOML.

Steve Schlumpf
05-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Mike - congrats on being able to make a matching pair of candleholders! Hardest thing in the world for me is trying to duplicate something! LOYL should be pleased with the results! Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
05-28-2007, 11:18 PM
Mike those are great looking candle sticks. I think you did a nice job for not turning to long.

Jonathon Spafford
05-29-2007, 12:03 AM
Great photo... looks good! The candlesticks are really nice, have some good grain, and are very close in shape! Something I have never been very good at! Your friend is going to love these! What finish did you use???

Mike A. Smith
05-29-2007, 12:21 AM
Great photo... looks good! The candlesticks are really nice, have some good grain, and are very close in shape! Something I have never been very good at! Your friend is going to love these! What finish did you use???

I wanted them to stand up to wear and tear. So I used five coats of wipe-on poly, then put them back on the lathe to use turners wax, then a coat of wipe-on wax hand buffed to balance the shine on the flat surfaces.

Ken LaSota
05-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Mike great job. Duplicating is not the easiest thing for me either,I sort of freehand every piece.
Ken

Charles McKinley
06-03-2007, 8:25 PM
Great Job Mike!

I really like the lines. They will be place apart from each other and the small difference will never be noticed when in use.