PDA

View Full Version : Work Bench (gloat)

Tom Ruflin
05-28-2007, 5:09 PM
I built myself a new work bench as the one I had was to small. The top is yellow pine, which is part of an old bowling alley and is 2 1/4 inches thick. The bowling alley was just nailed together so I pulled it all apart and glued it back together. It also had about 20 coats of polyurathane on the top which I sanded off and some kind of tar like coating on the bottom which I scraped and sanded off.The edges are maple as well as the part with the dog holes. The legs are Noden Adjust a Bench which are great since I tend to have problems with my back and can adjust the height for just about any task. The dimensions of the top are about 33 inches wide by 60 inches long. I made it this wide so I can use it as an assembly table as well. The tail vise is the small welded tail vise from Lie-Neilsen and is well worth the price as it is very adjustable and operates very smooth. The front vise is from Woodcraft and is a quick adjust model. Most of the wood used I had and the bowling alley was 50 cents a board foot for a 6 foot section so the cost wasn't too bad. The only downside is that it is summer here in the north and I spend most of my time outside so I haven't used it much.

Ken Alcott
05-28-2007, 5:17 PM
Great bench!

Dennis Kelly
05-28-2007, 5:26 PM
That is an awesome bench! I love the idea of re-using the material from a Bowling Alley of all places!!! I would say that adds much more character to the bench.

Dennis

Gary Keedwell
05-28-2007, 5:37 PM
I'd say that you scored a "STRIKE" with that bench. Good job.
Gary K.;)

Jim O'Dell
05-28-2007, 5:41 PM
Beautiful! Nice job! Jim.

Bill Huber
05-28-2007, 5:50 PM
The problem I see is if I had a bench that looked that goog I don't think I could force myself to use it.

Really great looking bench and very nice work.

Ron Blaise
05-28-2007, 6:04 PM
Bench there Tom! That should last thru your great grand kids! By the way, what kind of band saw is that in the background?

Don Bullock
05-28-2007, 6:05 PM
That's a nice bench. Using the Noden Adjust a Bench for your base is fantastic. I'd love to do the same thing. perhaps, when I'm able to move into a shop where I do have enough room, I'll do the same thing. Thanks for sharing.

Tom Ruflin
05-28-2007, 7:12 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments. The band saw is a MiniMax MM16, great saw.

Jim Becker
05-28-2007, 7:57 PM
Very nice setup, Tom! And kudos on going with the Adjust-A-Bench. I love mine. Your top is similar size and I can tell you that it's been a joy relative to assembly work...the lowest setting is just perfect for working on cabinetry, IMHO.

Bob Michaels
05-28-2007, 9:22 PM
Lookin' good, neighbor.

Craig D Peltier
05-28-2007, 9:34 PM
I like it. I dont like the price of Noden adjust a bench though!!:eek:

Bruce Page
05-28-2007, 9:35 PM
Very nice. It will serve you well for years to come.

Don Bullock
05-28-2007, 10:27 PM
... I dont like the price of Noden adjust a bench though!!:eek:

Craig, that can be said for a lot of woodworking tools. It is one reason I don't have one either.

Craig D Peltier
05-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Craig, that can be said for a lot of woodworking tools. It is one reason I don't have one either.

Like anything festool:D

John Schreiber
05-29-2007, 10:08 AM
That's a beauty. How hard did you it to make the tail vise? Do you think it's worth the effort compared to putting another face vise on the end?

Karin Voorhis
05-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Very nice... a job well done and a gloat to be so proud of!!!!!!!!

jeremy levine
05-29-2007, 10:56 AM
Nice bench, and you live near the only woodcraft in NY state, lucky man.

glenn bradley
05-29-2007, 11:35 AM
Excellent bench. That'll be around for awhile.

Scott Halverson
05-29-2007, 1:18 PM
The bench really looks great! Very nice job! Is that going in the living room or the dining room?

Scott

Tom Ruflin
05-29-2007, 6:53 PM
The bench actually looks better in pictures than in person. I just made it with no plans and used pictures of other benches and comments I've read here at the Creek. The joinery is not the best, but it's better than my old bench. Here is a link to directions for the tail vise http://www.fine-tools.com/G300650b.htm (not sure if it's legal to post a link). It is easier to build it once you have the hardware and can see how it all works and take measurements. I made the tail vise so I can clamp long and thick pieces for chairs (yet to be built) and there is no racking like a face/front vise. The cost of the Adjust a Bench legs are a little steep but they are very strong and well designed and it was either spend the money for an adjustable bench or give the money to my chiropractor.

John Hoelmer
05-31-2007, 12:17 AM
That is one primo bench and I can second the kudos for the Adjust-A-Bench. I've got basically the same setup but I still have to get a vise or two installed. The tail vise is intriguing.

Benjimin Young
05-31-2007, 4:54 AM
Very nice. I just love to see things made from reclaimed materials, kind of makes the project a lot more special and adds to the labor of love thing. Definately not a "spare" piece of equipmnt ;-)