PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Table Saw

Dennis Kelly
05-28-2007, 4:41 PM
Hello!
Does anyone own or know anything about the GO478 Hybrid from Grizzly. The price appears great ($700) but my concerns are with the grizzly fence and dust collection???

Dennis Kelly

Cody Colston
05-28-2007, 5:11 PM
That Shop Fox Aluma Classic fence is very good...not a Bies but good nevertheless. I don't know about the dust collection but I suppose it's on a par with most cabinet saws since the GO478 is enclosed in a cabinet.

What would concern me more is the (probably) table mounted trunnions and the 2 hp motor.

For a couple hundred dollars more you can get a true 3 hp cabinet saw instead of an underpowered version that is half contractor/half cabinet saw.

Dennis Kelly
05-28-2007, 5:23 PM
Thanks for the input on the fence Cody!
I agree that 3 Horses are better than two, but I don't have access to a 220V line in my shop. This saw and others just like are the best I have seen with a 110V

Dennis

Cody Colston
05-28-2007, 7:01 PM
The 120 vac service is something I didn't take into consideration. In that case, then the GO478 might be the saw for you. The price is certainly right.

I've got a Grizzly Tablesaw, Band Saw and Jointer. I'm pleased with all three of them and consider Grizzly tools a great bargain, especially for a hobbiest woodworker like me.

Mike Cutler
05-28-2007, 11:35 PM
Dennis.
I have a similar General International saw to the Grizzly( General Model 50-220). First thing to change is the throat plate. It's horrible. LeeCraft makes very nice ZCI's that are about $20.00 for the General, and that Griz' looks very close. I'm willing to bet they are a direct swap.
The dust collection is OK, not great but OK. I use an overhead blade pickup shroud on mine.
I've pushed 2" thick Jatoba, Wenge, Bubinga, and Padauk through mine, with that 2hp motor running on 115vac, with no problems so far.

Curt Harms
05-29-2007, 6:29 AM
Dennis.
I have a similar General International saw to the Grizzly( General Model 50-220). First thing to change is the throat plate. It's horrible. LeeCraft makes very nice ZCI's that are about $20.00 for the General, and that Griz' looks very close. I'm willing to bet they are a direct swap.
The dust collection is OK, not great but OK. I use an overhead blade pickup shroud on mine.
I've pushed 2" thick Jatoba, Wenge, Bubinga, and Padauk through mine, with that 2hp motor running on 115vac, with no problems so far.

I looked at the specification tab on Grizz' web site. It lists 20 amps on 115 volts, 10 amps. 220. This would indicate a need for a 20 amp. circuit with the saw as the only thing on it. Sounds like Mike gets along fine which is good to know; one real world experience is worth at least 5 web page posts, probably more:o

Curt

Mike Cutler
05-29-2007, 7:44 AM
Curt.

I was going to swap it to 220, the 115 and 220 receptacles are right next to each other in my shop, but it came prewired with for 115 with a UL tag attached, so I decided to try it.
The only thing that may cause me to change the tablesaw to 220 is the dust collector. Mine( Jet DC-1100) runs on 115, and I have to take note to keep it on a seperate circuit from the tablesaw.
The singlest biggest complaint I have about mine is the fence. It's ahh,,,, well, let's just say it's not the best fence you could ever have. I don't know what fence is on the 'Griz though so I can't comment.

Dennis Kelly
05-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Mike,
The General International saw is my other choice. I was shying away because it's roughly $200 more than the Grizzly. How do you like your saw? I know the fence is pretty good and you say the dust collection is just ok. Any other major problems aside from the throat plate?

Dennis

Mike Cutler
05-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Dennis,
I like the saw. It fits my needs pretty well. I haven't really done anyhthing to it except for adding a JessEm Mast-R-Slide, and a ZCI.
The fence is OK in my opinion. It's not great, and mine had a tendency to slip that was fixed with a piece of 400 grit sandpaper and some double sided tape. I have a used Exactor fence that is going to be installed, whe I get time, and find the mounting hardware.:eek: