PDA

View Full Version : PC 310 trim router is lots nicer now!

David Rose
01-07-2004, 12:49 AM
I've been playing with the new 310 since a little before Christmas. I got frustrated with the sticky collet and tried a little teflon grease on the *outside* only of the collet. I couldn't tell if the bit was sticking in the collet or the collet in the shaft. It really worked! No sticking at all. I was concerned about the grease attracting dust but it didn't seem to happen much through many bit changes. On part of a current project (yes, still the arbor) I had to change bits 3 times per piece due to contours and templates. And there are 8 of these pieces. And many experimental cuts so lots of changes in one evening. All went slick.

I was still frustrated with the adjusting ring being sticky when using one hand to hold a square over the bit for depth setting while holding the router and adjusting with the other hand. It's not as bad as it sounds, but I needed that ring to be free and you could feel the aluminum to aluminum drag. Last night I decided to either wax the housing or TopCote it. TopCote was easier. I pulled the collet and cleaned it and the hollow in the shaft and shot a little TopCote in there wiping out the excess. Shot the body. Boy, what a difference that made! Smooth as silk now and the collet is still not sticking.

I know I was taking a chance on a bit slipping so I ran a couple of old cheap roundovers on some utility shelves around the shop. Nothing slipped.

This little honey is a real jewel. I am grabbing it for jobs that I probably should use the Dewalt 621 on. But it is so light and handy in comparison that I use it anyway. One handed routing is nice. I do moderate the cuts to the trimmer's level but even then I think it may be as fast as the big router on lots of small bits and small jobs. Now for a clear base, maybe Pat Warner's, and to get rid of that housing knob for a lever.

Thanks for the recommendations and helping me decide on a model. It's my first fixed base router and it's not as much of a handicap as I thought.

David

Byron Trantham
01-07-2004, 8:13 AM
David, glad you got it running smooth. I use mine a lot as well. I too like the light feel and realitve ease of use. I use white lithium grease applied with a Q tip. After I apply it, I use a clean Q tip and wipe it again to remove "most" of the remainder of the grease. I haven't had any sticking problems since.

I hadn't thought of Top Coat. May give it a try.

John Miliunas
01-07-2004, 1:29 PM
Topcoat, huh? Thanks for the tip, Dave! I have a Freud router, which if it continues to "keep" my bits, is close to finding its new home firmly planted in one of the shop walls! Grrrrrrr..... :mad: I'll tear it down this evening and give the Topcoat a try. :cool:

Gene Collison
01-07-2004, 3:34 PM
Topcoat, huh? Thanks for the tip, Dave! I have a Freud router, which if it continues to "keep" my bits, is close to finding its new home firmly planted in one of the shop walls!

John,

If you decide to chuck the Freud, don't overlook the new Makita with the clear base and the lifetime led's. That tool is so smooth and quiet it is truly in a class by itself. The base moves on or off in about 2 seconds for bit change or removal with two provided wrenches just like a real router. The bit falls out in your hand as soon as you loosen the collet. 100% made in Japan.

Gene

David Rose
01-07-2004, 4:22 PM
Gene, it does look like a dandy. I struggled with the decision between that and the PC 310 for some time. I don't even remember what the tie breaker was. I think it was something insignificant. Since I own the 310 now I don't want to look back. ;-) Thanks for your help too. I new I would miss the light as I had an old Stanley with one and it was nice.

David

[QUOTE=John Miliunas]Topcoat, huh? Thanks for the tip, Dave! I have a Freud router, which if it continues to "keep" my bits, is close to finding its new home firmly planted in one of the shop walls!

John,

If you decide to chuck the Freud, don't overlook the new Makita with the clear base and the lifetime led's. That tool is so smooth and quiet it is truly in a class by itself. The base moves on or off in about 2 seconds for bit change or removal with two provided wrenches just like a real router. The bit falls out in your hand as soon as you loosen the collet. 100% made in Japan.

Gene

David Rose
01-07-2004, 4:25 PM
John, I don't know if it is always the case of the collet sticking in it's seat rather than to the bit, but I suspect it is often. If the TopCote doesn't work in your case, try some high temp teflon grease on the outside (only of course) of the collet. I think it worked because the grease didn't melt and run into the bit shank hole.

David

Topcoat, huh? Thanks for the tip, Dave! I have a Freud router, which if it continues to "keep" my bits, is close to finding its new home firmly planted in one of the shop walls! Grrrrrrr..... :mad: I'll tear it down this evening and give the Topcoat a try. :cool:

Gene Collison
01-07-2004, 4:55 PM
Gene, it does look like a dandy. I struggled with the decision between that and the PC 310 for some time. I don't even remember what the tie breaker was.
David

David,

It could have been price, I have seen them going for as much as $149. at Amazon although I only paid $129. for mine at a local dealer. I looked, at it, fired it up and never looked at anything else, done deal. Built exactly the way you would want it to be.

Gene

John Miliunas
01-07-2004, 4:56 PM
John, I don't know if it is always the case of the collet sticking in it's seat rather than to the bit, but I suspect it is often. If the TopCote doesn't work in your case, try some high temp teflon grease on the outside (only of course) of the collet. I think it worked because the grease didn't melt and run into the bit shank hole.

David

Thanks again for the heads up on that, David! I'll give it a shot. I also stopped and picked up some more 1/2 "O" rings. I plan on making sure there's one in each of my 1/2" routers from now on. I have one in the Hitachi, which is in the router table and gets the *most* use and never had a problem with it.

Gene, the Makita certainly sounds interesting, but the "freebie" PC 690LR I have coming from Delta, will make it Router #7! Unless, of course, the Makita is a trim router. I could use a new one of those... :D Thanks for the help, gentlemen. I'll let you know how it works out with the Freud. :cool:

Gene Collison
01-07-2004, 5:01 PM
Thanks again for the heads up on that, David! I'll give it a shot. I also stopped and picked up some more 1/2 "O" rings. I plan on making sure there's one in each of my 1/2" routers from now on. I have one in the Hitachi, which is in the router table and gets the *most* use and never had a problem with it.

Gene, the Makita certainly sounds interesting, but the "freebie" PC 690LR I have coming from Delta, will make it Router #7! Unless, of course, the Makita is a trim router. I could use a new one of those... :D Thanks for the help, gentlemen. I'll let you know how it works out with the Freud. :cool:

Here you go John!

http://northwestpowertools.com/laminatetrimmers/3707fc.htm

Gene Collison
01-07-2004, 5:12 PM

David

David,

I had my keys engaged before my brain again. the PC is actually a liitle more expensive.

Gene

John Miliunas
01-07-2004, 5:21 PM
Here you go John!

http://northwestpowertools.com/laminatetrimmers/3707fc.htm

Oh yeah, sure. It *IS* a trim router! You guys are trying real hard to get me in trouble, aren't you?! :mad: Hmmmm...But then again, I do have a bunch of small trim work to do and my old piece 'o junk trim router IS getting a bit noisy..... :D Thanks again for the info! I do like Makita and have heard that their routers are of high quality. :cool:

David Rose
01-07-2004, 7:33 PM
Gene, you quit saying that! :D I can't afford to "look back" after I buy a tool. I know it has features I would love such as the tilt base. But I doubt I will ever wear out the PC. However I have been working it to death lately. And I was getting tired of changing bits... Quit that! Need other things worse than another router. :rolleyes:

David

David,

It could have been price, I have seen them going for as much as $149. at Amazon although I only paid $129. for mine at a local dealer. I looked, at it, fired it up and never looked at anything else, done deal. Built exactly the way you would want it to be.

Gene

Curt Harms
01-07-2004, 7:53 PM

Hi John

Give me a cybersmack if you feel the need but are you loosening the Freud collet all the way? It's a 2 stage process. Loose, tight, then loose again. When it gets loose the 2nd time, the bit should come right out. The other thing I had with mine is the slotted part of the collect is supposed to snap into the collet nut. If the slotted 'sleeve' part isn't snapped in properly, the collet won't let go of the bit. Might be worth giving Freud a call.

Curt

Chris Padilla
01-07-2004, 7:56 PM
Just for fun, I found these two cheaper sites than what Gene posted after some quick googling:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/makita/mak03-04b.html

also

http://www.kimcousa.com/MK3707FC.html

Dunno anything about the companies or shipping or tax.

Gene Collison
01-07-2004, 8:23 PM
Gene, you quit saying that! :D I can't afford to "look back" after I buy a tool. I know it has features I would love such as the tilt base. But I doubt I will ever wear out the PC. However I have been working it to death lately. And I was getting tired of changing bits... Quit that! Need other things worse than another router. :rolleyes:

David

OK David, I promise I won't tell you about the error in the brochure leaving out one of the Led's.

Gene

Gene Collison
01-07-2004, 8:30 PM
Just for fun, I found these two cheaper sites than what Gene posted after some quick googling:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/makita/mak03-04b.html

also

http://www.kimcousa.com/MK3707FC.html

Dunno anything about the companies or shipping or tax.

Chris, don't know about your other two companies but Northwestpowertools.com is an excellent place to buy from, not to say that yours aren't. But NWP is in Spokane, so you don't have to pay Gov. Ahhnold his dues. When they say next day shipping, they mean it. If you order by 1PM it goes the same day. They charge actual freight and will match prices besides. Excellent Company!

Gene

John Miliunas
01-07-2004, 10:14 PM
Hi John

Give me a cybersmack if you feel the need but are you loosening the Freud collet all the way? It's a 2 stage process. Loose, tight, then loose again. When it gets loose the 2nd time, the bit should come right out. The other thing I had with mine is the slotted part of the collect is supposed to snap into the collet nut. If the slotted 'sleeve' part isn't snapped in properly, the collet won't let go of the bit. Might be worth giving Freud a call.

Curt

Give YOU a cybersmack? Not a chance, buddy! Give ME a cybersmack. A real BIG one, at that! Even before I saw your reply, I had already taken it apart (the slotted collet is snapped in properly, BTW) and cleaned it thoroughly. I decided to try it before going any further. I'll be dipped if it still "stuck". Mind you, I *thought* I had done the "double loosening" business, but apparently hadn't gone far enough. So, I commenced to take the whole thing off for the purpose of hitting it with the lubricant. When the collect was good 'n loose, out came the bit. Easily. Duh! :rolleyes: Well, at least, I now know it's all nice and clean and grease-free! Oh yeah...Feel free to send along that "smack"! I deserve it. :cool:

David Rose
01-07-2004, 11:29 PM
Jeese John! I thought I was the only one that did things like that. I used the Dewalt 621 for a year before buying the 625 for the table. Both have an unlocking collet. The 621 takes about 1/8 turn after it starts to loosen. Nice. The 625 goes around about 3/4 of the way which kind of negates the advantage for me. It took me a while to figure out why the 625 "didn't work". ;) I did know the manual said it did, but...

Glad you found out! That is a great feature if you can "find" it.

David

Give YOU a cybersmack? Not a chance, buddy! Give ME a cybersmack. A real BIG one, at that! Even before I saw your reply, I had already taken it apart (the slotted collet is snapped in properly, BTW) and cleaned it thoroughly. I decided to try it before going any further. I'll be dipped if it still "stuck". Mind you, I *thought* I had done the "double loosening" business, but apparently hadn't gone far enough. So, I commenced to take the whole thing off for the purpose of hitting it with the lubricant. When the collect was good 'n loose, out came the bit. Easily. Duh! :rolleyes: Well, at least, I now know it's all nice and clean and grease-free! Oh yeah...Feel free to send along that "smack"! I deserve it. :cool: