PDA

View Full Version : drawer lay out- do you all use jigs like kreg?

Larry Rasmussen
05-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Got my case of slides from Glideright and I'm ready to build a few drawers. Will start with a dedicated table for my bench top drill press. Somewhere around 18" X 18" by 36" tall. I'll probably go with 5 drawers.

I figured I'd just lay it out on paper- put the cabinet slides on inside of cabinet before assembly for this euro style box. Next step put the drawer half of the slides on the drawers per my pre planned lay out, put them in the cabinet, finish with second face to adjust out any imperfections in fit.

I'm always ready to buy a little jig to make life easier and the ads for the Kreg jigs make it sound like the lay out process is so tough you need a jig to directly lay out slides on both the cabinet side and drawer to get good results.

How to you guys plan and implement the drawer locations and installation?

Thanks for any insight,
Larry

glenn bradley
05-28-2007, 12:40 PM
For drawer sizes I use this

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/drawsizer_hambridge.htm

and of course 'needs' as a guide to size. For placing the slides I use a piece of scrap panel. I cut the panel height so that when standing on the floor of the carcas, the top drawer slide sets on it at the proper position. Mount both top slides and them cut the panel off so that the next set of slides set at the proper height, etc. I also just measure slide positions sometimes as there is a reasonable amount of adjustment in them.

Byron Trantham
05-28-2007, 1:06 PM
For drawer sizes I use this

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/drawsizer_hambridge.htm

and of course 'needs' as a guide to size. For placing the slides I use a piece of scrap panel. I cut the panel height so that when standing on the floor of the carcas, the top drawer slide sets on it at the proper position. Mount both top slides and them cut the panel off so that the next set of slides set at the proper height, etc. I also just measure slide positions sometimes as there is a reasonable amount of adjustment in them.

Glenn,
I went out and tried your link. It is now part of "My Favorites"! Nice utility, thanks.

Dave Harker
05-29-2007, 12:08 AM
I do what Glenn does - attach slides to carcass by setting them on to top of a plywood scrap which is temporarily clamped to the side of the carcass - do the top pair of slides, both sides, then cut down the scrap to the height of the next highest pair of slides.

I then attach the drawer-portion of the slides to the sides of the drawers such that the drawers are where I want them - a scale drawing helps figure out where everything needs to go.

Good luck,
Dave

Larry Rasmussen
05-29-2007, 12:56 AM
I would not have thought to cut the plywood shim step by step.
Larry R