PDA

View Full Version : Cheap & Light Cordless Drill for Mom

Tim Malyszko
05-28-2007, 10:24 AM
I was over at my Mom's this weekend measuring for the mantle I'm building her and she mentioned that she wanted to buy a new cordless drill since the cordless screwdriver just doesn't do everything she wants it to.

She found some cheapo Coleman at Big Lots for $20 and asked me what I thought. I told her to hold off and avoid buying power tools at discount dollar stores and that I would find something appropriate for her.

Since all of my cordless power tools are 18v XPR Dewalts, I don't have a lot of personal experiece with cordless drills geared towards the light DIY'er, so I'm looking for any advice on what to buy.

Here is what I am looking for:

Cordless Drill
Relatively Light
Not very confusing - i.e. doesn't have 20 torque settings like my hammerdrill.
About the only thing she will ever use it for it so drill pilot holes into studs for hanging stuff on the wall.
Less than $100 (this isn't absolutely necessary, but she doesn't want me to spend $$$$ on a drill for her.)Thanks again for the help. She will be very appreciative when I get her the new drill.

Jim Mitchell
05-28-2007, 10:31 AM
You might take a look at the new Bosch. I really like mine and it takes no time to charge. Should be at one of the box stores.

Gary Keedwell
05-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Tim

I would look at the small Lithium-Ion cordless drills. They have a single cell 3.6-volt that is perfect for household chores. It will store for long periods without losing it's charge, and are surprisingly powerful for it's size.
Gary K.
PS. LOML is going to get one.

Ed Garrett
05-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Last time I bought a cordless drill I intentionally downsized to the Dewalt compact 12V. It's small, light, but has great torque. Most everything I make is hardwood with lots of square drive screws. I like it better for screwdriving and light drilling than 14.4V and 19.2V drills I've had. The price was just over $100 at Lowe's a year ago.

Gary Keedwell
05-28-2007, 10:46 AM
You might take a look at the new Bosch. I really like mine and it takes no time to charge. Should be at one of the box stores.
Jim.....Does the new Bosch come with the Lithium-Ion battery?:confused:
Gary K

Randal Stevenson
05-28-2007, 10:51 AM
You might keep your eye on Amazon if your wanting a real/regular drill. In the last couple of weeks, both the Panasonic (no flashlight) and the Makita (w/flashlight) were both under $80.

However, I do have to also concur on the Bosch (the non impactor one). Several people I know use that one (dad, mom, a young lady who is the maintence person of an apartment building (yes a friend saw her first)). Then get one of those kits that has a smaller chuck that fit's in the bit holder, so you can use regular drill bits.

Gail O'Rourke
05-28-2007, 11:50 AM
I have always loved my black and decker drill, it has a removable chuck that she can predrill and drill at the same time.

The 14.4 would be fine. And, the battery's are decent (as long as not left on charge constantly).

Randal Stevenson
05-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Jim.....Does the new Bosch come with the Lithium-Ion battery?:confused:
Gary K

The PS20 10.8v can be had "refurbished" with two lithium ion batteries for around $99.

Gary Keedwell
05-28-2007, 12:41 PM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/tylertool_1949_11475272 (http://www.tylertool.com/skil5.html) Thinking about one of these little babies for the household. Can keep a charge on shelf for over a year or more....I think:eek:
Gary K.

James Stokes
05-28-2007, 3:12 PM
I have a cheap black and decker I bought about 3 years ago for $27 I like it better than my Makita or dewalt.

Howard Rosenberg
05-28-2007, 3:18 PM
My opinion, even though it comes with NicD only - they last forever, charge quickly and will have more than enough power for houselholder usage.

HTH
Howard

Gary Keedwell
05-28-2007, 3:26 PM
My opinion, even though it comes with NicD only - they last forever, charge quickly and will have more than enough power for houselholder usage.

HTH
Howard
Yea, but is it cute?:D
Gary K.

skip coyne
05-28-2007, 3:36 PM
although some people love to hate them I'm a a ryobi fan .

ryobi 12 volt would do well for her needs

Tim Malyszko
05-28-2007, 4:50 PM
Thanks for all the helpful information. This gives me some good places to start. The Bosch certainly looks promising as does the 12v Dewalt and the 14.4v drills on sale at Amazon.

I have always loved my black and decker drill, it has a removable chuck that she can predrill and drill at the same time.

The 14.4 would be fine. And, the battery's are decent (as long as not left on charge constantly).

I have/had the 18v version with the removable chuck that I used rather frequently for a while and really liked it. Unfortunately, it didn't hold up very well like my Dewalt stuff (I guess that's why you can buy a 6 pack of firestorm tools for less money than a single Dewalt Hammerdrill with 2 batteries), so I ended up having to scrap it and never looked to replace it since I don't care for any of the other B&D 18v tools. My mom, on the other hand, would probably really like the smaller version.

Jules Dominguez
05-29-2007, 11:58 PM

HTH
Howard

Howard, thanks for the tip. I've been halfway looking for a cordless driver-drill that isn't overweight and I ordered the Makita from Amazon for $99 last night after reading your comment.

Bill Huber
05-30-2007, 12:08 AM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/tylertool_1949_11475272 (http://www.tylertool.com/skil5.html) Thinking about one of these little babies for the household. Can keep a charge on shelf for over a year or more....I think:eek:
Gary K.

That is the one I was thinking about, when I brought it home for the kitchen tool drawer my wife made the comment " That is cute" so I guess that would be the one for her.

I will have to say I have used it and I can not believe the torque it has.

Vernon Taylor
05-30-2007, 9:41 PM
Warning-do not buy the Bosch 10.8 unless you are prepared to buy 2. Bought one for the wife several monthes ago for in the house, is in my shop most of the time. This is just so handy and comfortable to use,batteries seem to hold charge forever and recharge in 1/2 hour. The light is a nice feature when working inside an enclosure and the compact size is great.Can you tell,I love this tool.

Eric Lewis
05-30-2007, 10:33 PM
I know its a bad word on this forum, but I'm happy with the Craftsman cordless I've had for over three years. Came with two batteries (14.4v I think, I know it's less than 18v and more than 10v). We use it around the house to hang stuff.

Only complaint is it doesn't hold a charge well for months on the shelf, but it is an older battery style so that issue may be resolved.