PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day

Joe Chritz
05-28-2007, 9:38 AM
Apologies to our friends living outside the US. This is directed at all the Americans on the list. My knowledge of other countries holidays is not broad enough to try something like this for you.

I actually had a long post on Dennis' thread about the wild boar. Realizing it was most about today than hunting I decided to shorten it up.

Today as you are sipping the cold beer and grilling that steak remember why we can have discussions like the one mentioned. Why we can critizie the president, the politicians, the whites, the blacks, the gays, the system, the cops. you get the idea.

Today is a day for remembering those who died in service to their country. Over 3.5 million to date. We are a great nation because we are willing to give freedoms and willing to defend them.

I may not agree with your opinion, but I am willing to defend your right to say it. I have done it in the past, I am sure I will do it again in the future.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday.

Enjoy

Joe

Ed Falis
05-28-2007, 1:19 PM
Good thoughts, Joe.

As far as Europe goes, I believe that today is Armistice Day, for remembering the end of WWI and those who fought in it. I could be mistaken, though.

- Ed

Clint Jones
05-28-2007, 1:38 PM
"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself " John Stuart Mills ......"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." -- Wendell Phillips, (1811-1884), NEVER GIVE UP YOUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS!

HAVE A GREAT & SAFE MEMORIAL DAY. NEVER FORGET YOUR FALLEN BROTHERS!!!!!

Brian Elfert
05-28-2007, 11:37 PM
I was out today marching in a Memorial Day parade with a Boy Scout troop. We marched to a cemetary where there was a ceremony to honor fallen soliders.

Most Americans treat Memorial Day as just another three day weekend at the lake or whereever. I wonder how many even know what exactly Memorial Day represents?

Our Scout troop has over 30 boys and only four of them choose to march in the parade. Everybody else was out of town having fun or simply choose not to come.

I've never been in the military and don't know anyone who has died in a war, but I use my holiday to honor our fallen soliders as it was intended to be.

Brian Elfert

Gary Herrmann
05-29-2007, 6:27 AM
I'm not sure if most people don't think about what it means or not. We took the dogs for a walk yesterday, and I didn't see as many flags out as I would have expected.

Clint Jones
05-29-2007, 12:58 PM
My flag is always out. Had to put out my POW MIA flag out yesterday.

Dave Sinkus
05-29-2007, 2:01 PM
I spent yesterday at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetary. We go as a family every year. My father-in-law was the third vet buried in the new cemetary in 1999. It is filling up in the last 8 years with vets. The point is you have to be a veteran to be buried there. Sadly, it is filling up with casualties from the Persian Gulf wars.

There is always a nice ceremony and a whole bunch of vets from all of the wars who stand to be recognized. I was in the Army from 1975-78...post-Vietnam era. Vets and people in the service were not appreciated. The keynote speaker this year was Tammy Duckworth - a Persian Guld veteran helo pilot who lost both legs when an RPG hit the cockpit of her Blackhawk. She said it best reagarding the Vietnam era and all ers for that matter "You don't have to love the war to love the soldiers".