PDA

View Full Version : amusing CraigsList post

Steven Triggs
05-28-2007, 2:38 AM
There is someone on Craig's List trying to sell the Ridgid planer in "excellent condition" for $500. It sells new at Home Depot for $379.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/tls/330623690.html

Just thought it was funny...

Kyle Kraft
05-28-2007, 7:11 AM
Steve,

Looks like $500 is a fair price to me. Figure $379 for the machine and $121 for the dissertation!:D

I went to a garage sale once where there was a bunch of woodworking tools...not top shelf stuff, but more like HF grade items. The prices were outrageous. On my way out I noticed the Sears tool catalog by the cashiers box. They used it to set the prices on the machinery.

The way I see it, you're lucky to get half of new price if the machine is used and in excellent condition.

Lou Ferrarini
05-28-2007, 8:50 AM
There is someone on Craig's List trying to sell the Ridgid planer in "excellent condition" for $500. It sells new at Home Depot for $379.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/tls/330623690.html

Just thought it was funny...

The amusing thing is some idiot will probably buy it!!!

Steven Triggs
05-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Figure $379 for the machine and $121 for the dissertation!:D

Man, I'm in the wrong business if the dissertation is worth that much! I love to talk, and here I've been "working" to make money.;)

Steven Triggs
05-28-2007, 10:09 AM
The amusing thing is some idiot will probably buy it!!!

Yeah, it is like the people on ebay that pay more for something than it would cost to go buy it locally. I guess people just don't check...

Kyle Kraft
05-28-2007, 6:12 PM
Have you ever been to an estate or farm auction and witnessed someone paying big bucks for a basket or box of ancient paint, stain, or rusty whatever?

For crying out loud, I swear I've got Fred Sanfords genes and I would have passed on the stuff.

Matt Meiser
05-28-2007, 6:12 PM
Looks like $500 is a fair price to me. Figure $379 for the machine and $121 for the dissertation!:D

Then you'll need to have the seller send the $121 to the owner of this site. (http://benchmark.20m.com/reviews/RidgidPlaner/RidgidTP1300Review.html) :rolleyes:

Steven Triggs
05-28-2007, 6:44 PM
Then you'll need to have the seller send the $121 to the owner of this site. (http://benchmark.20m.com/reviews/RidgidPlaner/RidgidTP1300Review.html) :rolleyes:

HA HA HA! That is awesome. Good find Matt!:D

Pat Germain
05-28-2007, 11:18 PM
Such has been my experience at almost every yard sale/garage sale I've ever visited. People are overly proud of absolute crap. There's always a bunch of clothes and broken toys the Good Will and Salvation Army would throw away. Then there's a few outdated encyclopedias or some worthless, obsolete set of Time Life books and old bowling trophies.

Toward the back are the "prized items". Typically, here's where I find a few pieces of K-Mart furniture that look like they fell off a truck on the Washington DC Capitol Beltway. There might also be a love seat on which a cat recently had kittens. Next to that are a bunch of assorted, obsolete computer components: ZIP drives, dot matrix printers, 2400 baud modems, etc.

Oh, and the sellers always want top dollar for this stuff.

Of course, every once in awhile there's a real gem. At least, that's what I hear, because as I just described, I don't even see coal let alone diamonds in the rough.

On the opposite end of the spectrum are the Flea Marke Vultures. Those are the clowns who show up at dawn because they heard about a yard sale. They'll offer $15 for everything and act like they're doing you a favor so they can turn around and try to sell it for some outrageous price at their booth.

I used to have yard sales when I lived in Virginia. I always had nice things that people went crazy over; primarily baby stuff and little kids' clothes. The Mrs. and I took very good care of our things. Apparently, most people have the same experience I do at yard sales because they would be thrilled. (This was after I told the Flea Market Vultures to slag off).

Brad Tallis
05-29-2007, 3:06 PM
Hello All-

My favorite garage sale experience was with a friend of mine. He had a skil-saw in good shape, except the cord had been cut.

He put it out on the table with a tag that said, "50 cents". I almost bought it because it was so cheap, but I have my fair-share of skil-saws, so I passed.

Anyways, a guy came up to him and said, "Will you take 25 cents for it?!?!"

I had to laugh... Here was a $45.00+ saw, only missing a plug end (easy to fix), and the guy was trying to talk him down from 50 cents...

Made me laugh...

Brad

James Carmichael
05-29-2007, 5:34 PM
Yeah, members on another forum frequently point out CL or Ebay listings for Harbor Freight tools priced well above their normal retail. Some folks have no conscience, I guess.

Steven Triggs
05-29-2007, 5:39 PM
Yeah, members on another forum frequently point out CL or Ebay listings for Harbor Freight tools priced well above their normal retail. Some folks have no conscience, I guess.

I don't think selling something on ebay for more means you lack a conscience. I think it just means people are paying too much.

I mean one store my sell something for more than another, but that doesn't mean the store is doing something immoral.

Now, if the seller is claiming it has more value than it does, like outright lying and saying "I paid X for this" or "this items retails for X" where X is a lie, then I'd say it is immoral.

Just my take on it...:)