PDA

View Full Version : Todays Turnings ... Something different

Shane Whitlock
05-27-2007, 9:31 PM
Just for kicks I wanted to see how many small pieces I could get done today :D Started at noon and was finished by 5:00. I wanted to keep going but I got such a terrible headache I had to come in and lay down for a couple hours :mad:

Anyways, I tried to do something out of my "norm" on each piece, well at least on 3 of them ... smaller lips, taller lips, foot on a hf :eek: lol.

Overall I happy with the way they turned out, love the NE, looks a lot like the one I posted a while back, but I'm not real sure about the taller HF with the foot :confused: , and the fat one on the right is kinda funky. What are your thoughts?

All 4 are Box Elder, 3 of them burl. No finish other than wax.

A better pic of the NE

Comments/Critiques always appreciated,
Shane Whitlock

Joash Boyton
05-27-2007, 9:42 PM
Nice work, I like the first from the left

Bernie Weishapl
05-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Great job Shane. I like them all. I really like the second from the left. All the burls turned out nice. Those are some beauties.

Curt Fuller
05-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Shane, those are all nice work. But since you've welcomed comments and critiques I'm going to give you my 2 cents worth. All of those pieces have somewhat large feet. A large foot lends itself to greater stability but at the same time tends to make the piece appear to be "stuck" to the surface it's sitting on. I've always felt that by reducing the the height and diameter of the foot on a bowl or hollowform it gives it more of a floating appearance. Because those are all pieces that look to be more artful than functional pieces I think they might look a little better if the foot was either invisible and just there to lift it off the surface or unmistakenly prominent as in something like the late Bob Stocksdale's work http://www.themintmuseums.org/mason/masonsite/stocksdale.html

I just wish I could turn the great shapes you've done in the short time you've been turning so I could try out my theory.

Beautiful work!

Shane Whitlock
05-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the comments guys :D

...All of those pieces have somewhat large feet. A large foot lends itself to greater stability but at the same time tends to make the piece appear to be "stuck" to the surface it's sitting on.
Curt I totally agree with you, usually my HFs dont have any feet and the bases are much smaller, I was just playing around trying out something diiferent ...Thanks for your comment.

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Steve Schlumpf
05-28-2007, 9:33 AM
Shane - Man! You do some nice work!

While I understand Curt's comments I have to admit that I would be proud to have turned any one of these! It would have taken me the same amount of time to turn one of these as it did you to turn all four!

Love the burls! Also have to say that I agree with your description of 'funky' for the fatter HF located on the right - but the shape is growing on me!

Really nice work - thanks for posting!

Jim Becker
05-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Box elder burl is SO nice to work with. Nice job!

I do happen to agree that the one on the right has a little too "robust" of a foot for the form... If you should decide to change it, remounting wouldn't be tough.

Ken LaSota
05-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Shane great work I like the NE the best. No wonder you had a headache thats a lot of turning in 5 hours.
Ken

Harvey M. Taylor
05-28-2007, 11:52 AM
To me, they all look nice, especially the second from left. I am partial to ragged edges. Dont work so hard you get a headache next time. Box elder is scarce as hens teeth here in Texas.

Ernie Kuhn
05-28-2007, 1:21 PM
Shane,
The one on the far right, "Funky", looks like Southwest Native American style. I like it.
Ernie

Keith Burns
05-28-2007, 3:25 PM
Shane I have to agree with Curt but I wouldn't turn one down either. They all look good and all in five hours !! That to me is a feat in itself.

Nancy Laird
05-28-2007, 3:32 PM
Shane, I like them all, but that one on the far right is my favorite.

Nancy

Tom Sherman
05-28-2007, 7:32 PM
very nice work Shane I like em all.

Mark Cothren
05-28-2007, 7:36 PM
Nice work and a great variety, Shane. I'm partial to the first two on the left - especially the NE.

Jonathon Spafford
05-28-2007, 11:55 PM
You are an everlasting resource of beautiful turnings! These are some more great burl pieces! Way to go!

If you want an honest critique I would say take off the foot on the vase second to the right and make the base a bit smaller! I would also make the mouth maybe a bit smaller on the far right piece as well as down size or eliminate the foot! Just some small personal preferences... again, not everybody agrees on shape!