PDA

View Full Version : Help - Table Saw Problem

Aaron Hamilton
05-27-2007, 7:59 PM
I have a brand spankin' new Jet JTAS-10xL and I am in the last phase of checking all the settings for square and accuracy. Here's the problem -

My rip fence (the Jet Xacta-II) reads/cuts dead on up to about 12-14 inches and then the further out I get from there (I have 50" rails), I'm about 1/16th long on the cut board vs the measuring tape. This makes no sense to me except that the measuring tape is off a little bit. Have any of you experienced this problem? Do you think I should start by putting a brand new measuring tape on? I can't see how this could possibly be related to anything else! Your help is appreciated!

Jim Becker
05-27-2007, 8:37 PM
Sounds like the tape is "stretched". Yup...replace it. Lee Valley has one...I think I used it when I had to replace the same scale on the Jet LT saw I owned for many years. (Mine due to it not being applied correctly...bubbles)

Mike Cutler
05-27-2007, 11:02 PM
I have a brand spankin' new Jet JTAS-10xL and I am in the last phase of checking all the settings for square and accuracy. Here's the problem -

My rip fence (the Jet Xacta-II) reads/cuts dead on up to about 12-14 inches and then the further out I get from there (I have 50" rails), I'm about 1/16th long on the cut board vs the measuring tape. This makes no sense to me except that the measuring tape is off a little bit. Have any of you experienced this problem? Do you think I should start by putting a brand new measuring tape on? I can't see how this could possibly be related to anything else! Your help is appreciated!

Very common problem. I have two saws that experience the same thing.

Don't get in the habit of relying on the TS measuring tape, unless all cuts and measurements are made relative to that specific tape. Whatever measuring device you are using on the bench, has to be the same device used to make all measurements. If you swap measuring tapes, and rules around indiscriminately, You will get errors.

One more thing to look for is that the front rail is dead straight. It isn't uncommon to exprerience an ever so slight bow which will throw the end of your fence off as it moves scross the rail.

Aaron Hamilton
05-28-2007, 1:42 AM
Well, I double checked the rail - it's dead straight....it is massive thick piece of angle iron so I don't think there are many ways it couldn't be straight. As far as the tape condition, I noticed some bubbles and it looked as if the tape wasn't handled too carefully on installation. I just needed a little reassurance that it's possible.

Thanks for the responses and as for consistency in measuring :) I figure a little variance here and there gives my pieces that 1/32" "hand-crafted" character. I'm not a machine you know. :)

Mike Cutler
05-28-2007, 8:23 AM
Aaron.

Tape rules are notoriously inaccurate. I have two Stanley's, a Woodcraft, and a Lawson, and all of them are off when measured against a Starrett 6 foot rule. This is why it's important to use the same measuring reference. not for "accuracy", but for consistency.

I think, in short time, that you will be looking to remove the +/- 32nd "hand crafted look". You appear to be a very detail oriented individual.;)
If you replace the tape on your TS, see if you can find a version that has a "mirror" strip running the length. This removes the "parallax error" from setting the fence per the tape.

Phil Thien
05-28-2007, 9:29 AM
Can you use a good tape measure to check the tape on the rail? You should be able to clamp the tape measure (start at 1') to the rail and check the rail-applied tape.

I'll bet everyone is right, though. I'll be it was stretched during installation.

FWIW, I use the tape on my table saw rail and it is spot-on.

Aaron Hamilton
05-28-2007, 9:36 AM
OK, so I assume since the one from Lee Valley is made of "annealed steel" then I can assume it's going to be pretty stretch resistan. Does anyone have any better suggestions than this one? (see description from lee valley website below)

This tape is made of annealed steel with a protective coating and can be mounted directly on the top or front of your bench.

With both Imperial and metric markings, it is convenient for conversion or where check measurements are often required, e.g., next to your lumber storage. The adhesive backing will bond to any clean, dry surface. Available in two sizes: 48" x 1/2" wide or 72" x 3/4" wide

Ed Falis
05-28-2007, 1:10 PM
I've never gotten junk from Lee Valley, and if I wasn't happy with something, they always made good. Low risk for you.

Bob Wingard
05-28-2007, 1:30 PM
How sure are you that the tape you are using for verification is correct ?? ?? ?? Could be the one on the table is correct, the other one isn't. ?? ?? ??

Aaron Hamilton
05-28-2007, 10:48 PM
I measured it on 3 different tapes, 2 stanley's and a craftsman (probably a stanley as well). Same on all of them.