PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the help

Jay Sullivan
01-06-2004, 8:21 PM
A few months ago I posted a call for help. I needed an old copy of a magazine to get plans for a vanity table for my daughter. Two people came through: Noah A. and John W.

Thanks to both of you for providing the fax and actual magazine for this project. Here is a picture of the completed vanity table with its new owner.

http://www.outb.com/~sully/vanity2.jpg

Jay

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-06-2004, 8:56 PM
That's a lovely table, and a lovely young lady too! I can tell she likes her new Vanity Table, and it looks wonderful Jay. Nice work! How about some details on the construction and finish, both of which look really, really nice. Great work Jay, thanks for sharing the pictures with us! :)

Jay Sullivan
01-06-2004, 9:35 PM
The vanity dimensions are:Top: 20"x33" Height: 29"
The bench : Top: 16"x20" Height: 18"

Thanks for the kind words Kevin. Here are some details: The wood is maple throughout -- no secondary woods except for the drawer bottoms, they are maple over MDF. The basic construction is sliding dovetails -- all rails connect to the legs that way. Drawers are built with half blind dovetails front and back. There are no mechanical slides.
The finish is two coats of Minwax Antique Oil followed with about 7 coats of wipe on poly, rubbed out with steel wool and wax, then buffed.

Jay

Martin Shupe
01-06-2004, 9:57 PM
That's a very nice table and chair. Can I ask which issue of what magazine had the plans? My daughter is growing up fast, and I can see a need for one of these down the road.

Thanks,

John Miliunas
01-06-2004, 10:17 PM
Beautiful! Yup, she's one lucky young lady, I'd say! And, like Martin requested, I'm afraid that I'm in the same boat with my youngest (13). She's starting to "care" about how she looks! (I keep telling her she looks just fine "as is", but....Well, you know!) So, if you could share issue #, it'd be appreciated! Thanks for the post! :cool:

Bob Lasley
01-06-2004, 11:21 PM
Jay,

Very nice job on the vanity table. Excellent work. You make very nice looking daughters too! You should be proud of both.

Bob

Lars Thomas
01-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Very well done. Looks like your latest 'customer' is quite pleased. LArs

Jay Sullivan
01-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Today's Woodworker Issue 41 Sep/Oct 95 has the plans for a shaker vanity table. This magazine is not in print anymore, so it may be hard to find.

Jay

Noah Alkinburgh
01-07-2004, 12:22 PM
Today's Woodworker Issue 41 Sep/Oct 95 has the plans for a shaker vanity table. This magazine is not in print anymore, so it may be hard to find.

Jay
Yep its hard to find...unless you know somebody who has it ;)

Looks great! Whish mine were that close to finished. My wife wishes even more then me. By the time I get mine done my daughter will be using it :)

Noah