PDA

View Full Version : Using Plywood for blanks

David Hoefler
05-27-2007, 11:10 AM
I am new to this forum and to turning in general. I was wondering if anyone has glued up plywood for bowl blanks. It seems one could get some interesting patterns. :confused:

Andy Hoyt
05-27-2007, 11:15 AM
Yup, you sure can. But the results will be impacted by a multitude of variables, and mostly toward the negative side.

Here's a guy (http://www.stephengleasner.com/) who has mastered the technique.

Bernie Weishapl
05-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Yep you sure can. It can be easy to turn but be aware as Andy said that there also can be some pitfalls. I did one just to see if I could. Just a simple bowl with some walnut and nothing to brag about.

Chip Sutherland
05-27-2007, 5:20 PM
Yes, you can but don't try any spindle work with it. Surface prep is important for a good glue bond. Have some black epoxy or color some expoxy black to fill any voids that appear. You can orient the 'grain' 90 degrees from what Bernie shows, too and that's interesting. I sandwiched some between 2 pieces of walnut (low grade #2) and spun it up. It was interestingly ugly but the shape I turned wasn't right for the materials and grain orientation. Also try a box weave using strips of ply to build up a blank. Try some Oriented Strand Board, too. Particle board (aka chip board) isn't any fun.

I saw some extreme/artistically painted and gilded vessels that were MDF....it was square on the inside, too, because the artist started with a hollow box and built up the MDF. Then plugged the mouth and drilled out the round opening.

joe greiner
05-28-2007, 5:31 AM
I turned a smallish platter from a single piece of cabinet-grade for practice/experimentation. Looked at least halfway decent. Ordinary plywood will likely have gaps in some of the interior layers; no problem for structural applications, but you'd need to fill them for appearance, as Chip says. Probably best to do this, and re-fill as necessary, as turning progresses, to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Joe

Stuart Johnson
05-28-2007, 10:14 AM
I've turned a few segmented pieces using plywood. I don't find it bad to turn and it works great when trying out new shapes.

Jim Becker
05-28-2007, 10:17 AM
One other thing...you'll need to sharpen VERY frequently when turning manufactured products like plywood and OSB. The resins really will take an edge off fast. And it's important to stay sharp for best results. So...when turning this material, figure it's going to take you much longer for a given form than it would with something from solid wood.

Lee DeRaud
05-28-2007, 11:03 AM
One other thing...you'll need to sharpen VERY frequently when turning manufactured products like plywood and OSB. The resins really will take an edge off fast. And it's important to stay sharp for best results. So...when turning this material, figure it's going to take you much longer for a given form than it would with something from solid wood.That's certainly true if you're comparing it to green wood. Dunno about OSB, but the baltic birch ply I've used is about like dry soft maple or walnut, and quite a bit easier than dry hard maple or red oak.
MDF is also pretty cool stuff to turn, at least the stuff I've tried: each pass of the gouge will yield one long curl, just like roughing a green blank. It's only when you hit it with sandpaper that the dust comes up.

Jim Becker
05-28-2007, 1:10 PM
Lee, what you show is something similar to I've got "on my list" as I'll have a bunch of scrap BB left over from the cabinetry I've been working on....might as well put it to good use!

Rob Leslie
05-28-2007, 1:28 PM
A Plywood turning video can be seen at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp8jgdRXY_0&mode=related&search=

Rob

Chip Sutherland
05-28-2007, 2:21 PM
What a GREAT idea for shapes and for setting angles on segmented pieces.

David Hoefler
05-28-2007, 3:01 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses. Lee, great looking bowl. I was thinking the tools would dull fast with plywood so for now I will just bookmark the info. I need to get a lot better at sharpening before I attempt plywood.

As I said, I am just starting with turning and am currently using logs from our woodpile as my wood source. Some a little green and some very dry. I like some of the results and have not had too many "launches" or bottom cutouts.

I have a Jet dust collector on its way and am waiting to get it into operation before generating any more sawdust. Hopefully it will be here in the next few days.

Thanks again. :)

David

David Hoefler
05-28-2007, 3:22 PM
I am still learning how to use this site, and just for fun, here is my before and after pics on one of my first bowls: :D

Bernie Weishapl
05-28-2007, 3:31 PM
Great looking bowl David. Keep'em coming.