PDA

View Full Version : Anybody own a DC-580 planer

Mike Heidrick
05-27-2007, 2:31 AM
Any 20" Delta 22-451 DC-580 planer owners out there? Any experience using them? How do the compare to the 4 poster Grizzlys and Powermatics? Anyone ever buy a mobile base for one?

Brian Ross
05-27-2007, 10:50 AM
I have a DC 580 and have owned it for 3 years. It has been a real work horse and I use it commercially. It was about 2 years old when I bought it. I especially like having the ability to raise and lower the rollers if you want to run some rough lumber through quickly. Lots of power and virtually zero snipe if using it as a finishing planer. The others are probably equally as good as long as they have the adjustable rollers.A 2hp dust collector is the bare minimum required and if taking a heavy cut on a wide board it will not handle it

Brian

Mike Heidrick
05-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Can the 4 post models raise and lower the the rollers?

How does that work to your advantage on rough lumber?

I have not seen one so I am not sure how that works exactly.

Great point on the DC. I just did a DC upgrade (actually twice) so I hope I have that covered.

Brian Ross
05-27-2007, 1:13 PM
Mike.. On the table there are two rollers that you can raise and lower. One is before the cutterhead and the other is after the cutterhead. On the right side of the infeed table you will see a small handle with a locking knob. This handle raises and lowers theses two rollers. These rollers are the width of the table. In the down position they do not come into play and just sit there. They can be raised so that lumber does not actually touch the table thus avoiding any friction betwwen the lumber and the table. Rough lumber that may not be dry as you would like can be a pain to push through the planer as it tends to stick to the table especially if you haven't waxed the bed recently. I do not use it often but when needed it is a real frustration saver. Would not buy one without it now
http://www.toolbarn.com/product/delta/22-450/?ref=baset

In the photo you can see the two rollers in the bed and the adjusting handle which is sticking down from a round disk on the side of the infeed table.
Brian