PDA

View Full Version : Folding legs for work bench?

Jay Keller
05-27-2007, 1:56 AM
I have a 4x4 workbench made from 2 sheets of 3/4 ply. I just use it for a convenient flat surface for glue-ups and dry fits and stuff. I set it on a couple saw horses when I need to use it.

Its becoming to heaving to lift and move around the shop for me now.

Are there plans for a folding workbench? I could use my current top if I could put some folding legs on it so that I could drop and lock one legs on one side that lift the bench and drop and lock the other legs. That way it would be so heavy to haul up in the air to set on saw horses. Maybe there is a mechanism that one can buy that uses 2x4 for legs? I dont need a beefy sturdy set up as it just do glue-ups on it.

Any thoughts appreciated.
thanks

Dell Littlefield
05-27-2007, 10:10 AM
I made this router table with folding legs and although it is a little awkward to fold, it works.

http://www.woodzone.com/plans/router/index.htm

Randal Stevenson
05-27-2007, 10:46 AM
I am not sure of your condition, but a couple of possible recomendations.

One, look at the table in the Eurekazone forum at the bottom of the main page.
Two, mount those folding legs to your current top, then get a block and tackle, and mount hooks in the ceiling above where you use the table, to help you lift it.
Carol Reed, had a post a while back, where she used a electric winch, to help her lift up 4x8' sheets, that could also help.

Or consider mounting a table off the wall, that the legs fold out, and the top folds down.

glenn bradley
05-27-2007, 11:02 AM
I have a pair of folding table legs that I got at HF on sale pretty cheap. They won't take a real heavy load but they work.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91041

Craig D Peltier
05-27-2007, 11:28 AM
I think if you search Richwood Imports it may help you.I worked in the party rental industry and I know they sell folding legs.

Jay Keller
05-28-2007, 1:04 AM
some good tips to help me understand a good solution.
thanks!