PDA

View Full Version : Question on restoring old veneer top

Perry Schmidt
05-27-2007, 1:13 AM
I have a friend who has an old table which the veneer top is bubbled up/warped/cracked. I haven't actually seen it yet, but they were asking about repair or new veneer. The new veneer part I can handle.

But I'm thinking this is going to be a lot easier to repair. I've seen/done repairs on newer veneers by injecting glue under the bubbled/warped areas, then just repressing it down. And the cracks usually are a result of the warp, and will disappear after it's pressed down again.

But w/ the older top, I didn't know if that was 'good enough' or if there's other tricks/suggestions for repair. One big unknown for me is how brittle will the old veneers be? Would it be better to press the top down w/ a steam iron or something similar before putting it into cauls? I just don't know.

So any suggestions or hints would be appreciated.

Thx

Perry

Dell Littlefield
05-27-2007, 10:12 AM
I have used a steam iron on buckled veneer on furniture made in the 1800s. I felt confident that hide glue was used. It has held fine for over 30 years.

Al Killian
05-27-2007, 4:05 PM
Steam it, then add weight to hold it untill the glue dries. This should be all that is needed. Just go slow as you press the veneer back down.