PDA

View Full Version : anybody have a delta 36-855 feeder?

craig lapiana
05-26-2007, 11:46 PM
amazon has one on sale for $850 shipped. i have been thinking about a 1hp for my delta shaper and sunhill jointer for sometime.

is this a decent price?

Delta 36-855 1 Horsepower 8-Speed 4-Roller Stock Feeder, 230-Volt 1 Phase (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00002234H/ref=ord_cart_shr/002-5772476-7039266?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance)

i have seen some feeders mounted to carts which seems the way to go to move it easily?

J.R. Rutter
05-27-2007, 12:46 AM
I have the 4-roll Delta and a 4-roll Grizzly. The Delta has a slight edge on fit and finish, but they are very close in performance. Yes, that seems like a decent price.

It is very nice to have the gear lever as well as the 2-speed motor - you pick the high or low range toothed gear ratio behind the cover, then never (or very rarely) have to touch it again.

I like the 4-wheel feeder for the shaper especially because it lets you simply pivot the motor to change feed direction without having to adjust the column pivot or motor-to-column distance.

All of my feeders are bolted down. There is quite a bit of leverage to overcome. I would think that a cart would need to be quite heavy and lock firmly in place to work well.

Mike Heidrick
05-27-2007, 2:24 AM
amazon has one on sale for $850 shipped. i have been thinking about a 1hp for my delta shaper and sunhill jointer for sometime.

is this a decent price?

Delta 36-855 1 Horsepower 8-Speed 4-Roller Stock Feeder, 230-Volt 1 Phase (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00002234H/ref=ord_cart_shr/002-5772476-7039266?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance)

i have seen some feeders mounted to carts which seems the way to go to move it easily?

Not sure if you jumped yet. I own the 36-851 3 roller 1hp feeder and it is very very nice. I gave $806 for it shipped. $751 plus $99 shipping is and AWESOME deal on that feeder. When you see it you will know why it was so much $$. It is a crazy heavy duty device. The head of my 3roll 1hp is larger than the 1/8th hp entire machine with base!!! The 4 roll will be even larger!!

I have my 3 roll bolted down to a 5hp Delta shaper. I had it clamped for awhile and bolting it is the only way to go.

If you want to move it (these things are very very heavy) maybe just get a second base and install it on the other machine.

craig lapiana
05-27-2007, 4:32 PM
thanks i decided to pick it up even though it cost almost as much as i paid for my delta shaper!

i am looking forward to using my shaper more now that i have a feeder. mike that delta feeder on your site does look pretty sweet. have you used it much? what type of work?

a feeder obviously works if the stock is flat on the cast iron however does it work turned 90deg feeding stock flat against the fence?

jr i will eval just setting up another base on the jointer so i can switch between each if required. if i was to make a feeder cart i could forsee having to weight it down with sand? have either of you used it on your jointer or TS? i dont expect to use it on my TS but i can forsee using it on my jointer in that i purchase most of my wood, rough.

Brian Ross
05-27-2007, 4:38 PM
Have the same feeder. I can't imagine having it on a separate cart. It is a very comfortable feeling cutting raised panels on a shaper with a power feeder. You will wonder how you did without.
Good Luck
Brian

J.R. Rutter
05-27-2007, 11:37 PM
a feeder obviously works if the stock is flat on the cast iron however does it work turned 90deg feeding stock flat against the fence?

jr i will eval just setting up another base on the jointer so i can switch between each if required. if i was to make a feeder cart i could forsee having to weight it down with sand? have either of you used it on your jointer or TS? i dont expect to use it on my TS but i can forsee using it on my jointer in that i purchase most of my wood, rough.

Sure, you can run them pressing against the fence, like for moulding cuts. It just ghets angled down a bit to keep the stock on the table, just like you toe in towards the fence in the other position.

I once tried running a feeder to a shaper placed alongside one with a feeder attached. I didn't have the shapers clamped together at first, and the feeder pushed them apart - that was 400 lbs getting moved very easily. I would bolt it down with an extra base or two if I were you.

As for other machines, my shop is very dependent on feeders. I have 2 table saws, 2 jointers, and 5 shapers set up with them. See pics for mounting/running examples.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=59217&d=1172785673

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=47958&d=1159978972