PDA

View Full Version : Tool gloat - Now I seek advice.

Nate Heffter
01-06-2004, 7:02 PM
After paying some attention to this forum for a while, I knew I ought to be on the look out for a Disston in good shape. On a trip home to see my parents last fall I ran across one sitting in a pile in their garage- my mom had picked it up at some garage sale. I asked her if I could reimburse her for it, and she said "just take it, I only paid $2 for it." Since that time it has sat in the bottom of a tool bag - seen no use. After looking into it, I get the feeling I ought to clean this up and take a little better care of it. Any advice on exactly what I ought to do (other than box it up and mail it to you)?

It is the No. 9 backsaw shown just above the drawings on this link, the one with the blade that sticks beyond the back.
http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/backsawpage.html

Is this saw so rare I ought to leave refurbishing to someone with more experience?

Martin Shupe
01-06-2004, 7:06 PM
I am by no means no expert, but from what I have read, you want to call Tom Law, get his opinion, and then probably send it to him for restoration and sharpening.

I am not a tool collector, but a tool user. If tool is so valuable that I do not dare use it for what it was built, then I don't need to own it and perhaps it should be donated to a museum.

John Scarpa
01-06-2004, 10:59 PM
Nate,
Saw that picture and ran out to my garage to confirm that the saw Dad left me was also a No. 9. I'm curious to learn what you find out.
John

Perry Schmidt
01-07-2004, 12:22 PM
Check out this site:

http://www.vintagesaws.com/

In the library section there's lots of articles on how to restore/sharpen the saw yourself. It goes into great detail on how to restore and sharpen your own saw. Tom Law does a great job, but if you want to learn, get your hands dirty, etc. and do it yourself, this is a great place to start! It's actually very easy to do yourself.

FYI - Perry

Dennis McDonaugh
01-07-2004, 10:28 PM
Check out this site:

http://www.vintagesaws.com/

In the library section there's lots of articles on how to restore/sharpen the saw yourself. It goes into great detail on how to restore and sharpen your own saw. Tom Law does a great job, but if you want to learn, get your hands dirty, etc. and do it yourself, this is a great place to start! It's actually very easy to do yourself.

FYI - Perry

Nate, here's a good reference source too.

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/

Andrew Fairbank
01-17-2004, 6:28 AM
Is this saw so rare I ought to leave refurbishing to someone with more experience?[/QUOTE]

Nate,

I wouldn't touch it - collectors want tools in 'un-tuned' condition.

Find out what it's worth then decide what to do.

Apparently the Live Free or Die Auction is on again soon - I'd speak to the auctioneer and see what he thinks it's price realisation might be.

Cheers,

Andrew

Mike Cutler
01-18-2004, 11:13 AM
Nate. Nice find on the saw. I've "collected" a fair share of "antique" (read as used and in need of refurbishment) hand tools over the past few years. For myself all of these tools are put back into service for their intended function. The only one that is not is an old Arbor Saw about 5 feet long that was so wicked and nasty looking, and very sharp!! that I just had to have it.I think I paid $14.00 for it. Anyway, first decide if this saw is to be put back into use, or will just remain a collector type piece. If you are going to actually use it, I would send it out to have it sharpened and reset properly unless you know how to do this yourself. If it will be maintained as a collctor item, I would just lightly clean it up to get rid of the excess dirt and grime. For some reason I have never understood, people seem to like old tools and expect them to be rusty looking. Not my cuppa' so to speak. I like the old tools. It's personally very gratifying to take a rusty, frozen up plane, or chisels ,or saws that has been neglected and restore them use. My .02 FWIW