PDA

View Full Version : Blondewood Plywood

Craig D Peltier
05-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Have you heard of it? Ive seen it at blue borg. It looks to me as a novice at buying sheets that it could be used for furniture. i.e vanities , built ins, etc.
One guy says this about it from a google search
"Yes, I am familiar with the stuff they call Blondewood. To tell you the truth, I have no idea what it's made of, but I suspect it's plywood made of a variety of Luann wood. It's new growth, which is why the wood is so blonde, similar to sapwood"

If you google it theres not much more about it than what I posted.Looking for any experience with it?
Next step I guess I could buy a 1/2 inch sheet for 25 and mess with it with finishes.
If you go to blue borgs site and search blondewood only price and dimensions come up.No pic.

Jim Becker
05-26-2007, 10:21 PM
It could also be a softwood veneer faced product like the "sande" plywood at the orange borg. It works fine, as some voids and is inexpensive. But it's not great quality otherwise.

Personally, I've moved to baltic birch ply and don't plan to look back.

tim mathis
05-27-2007, 12:17 AM
hi craig,
for the first project i used 3/4 inch blondewood at work to build a high front extension to a secretaries desk . it was painted and had a top shelf of solid oak.
#1 it smelled VERY bad when cutting.
#2 when sanded it fuzzed up. ( we could not get that to go away)
#3 it really sucked up the primer.
#4 the thickness was not consistent.
#5 and many voids
it looked ok but we should have used birch ply.
2-3 weeks later i tried it again on angled locker top shelves at work. 4 sheets from another stack and found the same 5 things . i don't know how it would take stain.
hope this helps tim in centerville , ohio

Randal Stevenson
05-27-2007, 10:51 AM
From my experience with it, it does vary, but can be good for painted built in's.

For staining, or high quality work (not particle board type furniture in a multimillion dollar home), find your local true lumberyard. Be prepared for both a wider selection and a sticker shock.

Craig D Peltier
05-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks , I'll pass on using it for the most part.