PDA

View Full Version : Festool -- Worth it?

James Phillips
05-26-2007, 7:43 PM
I am debating a festool sander and/or jig saw. The main reason being health and I do not like breathing dust. I have an air cleaner and I wear a respirator at least 75% of the time I am in my shop. I really want to avoid the fines produced by sanding. I cannot believe a festool would do a better job of sanding than any other, but if it is healthier and more comfortable I might could be pushed over the edge. I will definately only buy one so recommendations are welcome.

Bottom line is the sander and vac worth the $700 or so that it cost?

Russ Massery
05-26-2007, 7:48 PM
In one word.......... Yes!

Mike Cutler
05-26-2007, 7:57 PM
James.

Good vacums are expensive. Festool or not. Getting vac's with those CFM numbers and ppm ratings is going to cost you regardless of manufacturer.
The question is; is the sander and the integrated system worth the extra $$$? I belive that answer is yes. The vacum works with most, of the Festool equipment. Once the vac is paid for, it's plug and play for the rest.
If I didn't already have a Fein vac, which wasn't cheap either, I would have bought the Festool.
The sander is very highly regarded on this forum, and other forums. I'm waiting for my Makita to die so I can justify one.

Dennis Peacock
05-26-2007, 8:41 PM
Agree.....the answer is YES it's worth it....AND you will never look back nor regret your decision.

Reg Mitchell
05-26-2007, 8:45 PM
Like Russ and Dennis....every Penny. But what I did to save a few bucks was to order the vaccum hose and hooked it to my shop vac.
Reg

Jim Becker
05-26-2007, 9:02 PM
Yea, I'm on the "worth it" side, too...the dust extraction is incredible on the sanders and because of it, the results are better, too. (Not to mention abrasives last longer since they don't crud up so fast) Buy the vac/sander combo to save some money, too.

Personally, I like to buy my Festool products from Bob Marino (http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/) (an active 'Creeker, no less).

ryan smythe
05-26-2007, 9:11 PM
yes they are definately worth it. not only is the product great but the customer service that comes with it when buying them from someone like Bob is unbeatable in my book. i think i got one of the very few festool sanders to have a problem and i had a new one the same day i sent the other one back. not very often you get service like that.

sascha gast
05-26-2007, 9:24 PM
a big YES from me. trust me, I am not a fanboy, but once I had my first sander and the vac, I almost bought the whole line becaue it just performs, amazing

Brian Walter
05-26-2007, 10:13 PM
I don't want to be the only one that says it may not be worth the extra bucks, so I won't say it. With that not said, I have a bosch random orbit sander and when I connect it to my shop vac, I really don't get any dust that I can see. I outfitted my shop vac with one of the heppa filters, so I'm not blowing the fine dust back into the air. All together, I've probably got about $250 - $300 in the combination.

So I would like to ask, of those of you that think it really is worth the extra bucks, what are you comparing it to? Were you using something similar to what I'm using, and still think the performance is worth the extra outlay? If so, then they must be awfull nice and I may have to try one out.

Brian Walter

Jim Becker
05-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Brian, the design of the Festool sander enhances the dust collection...the center hole, for example, makes a huge difference in that as well as in maintaining abrasive life. And yes, I did use another vendor's ROS with a vac prior to moving to Festool. Night and day...

Oh and the variable speed on the CT-22 makes for much easier sanding, especially when you are getting up to the "higher" grits...less "stickiness".

Lastly, near zero vibration. I could only use my old sanders for maybe a half hour max before my hand and wrist became numb from the vibration. With my 150/3, I can sand for hours (and have...) with zero physical discomfort.

sascha gast
05-26-2007, 10:36 PM
I was on my third Dewalt ROS and finally gave up, they are aweful compared to Festool. try one out and you'll end up getting all of them, I got 3 right now and love them, love the sanding and love the paper. no dust anywhere, and I mean anywhere

Brad Naylor
05-26-2007, 11:54 PM
Ah well, here goes...

I've got two sander/vac set ups - one in my main shop, and one in my finishing room next door. One is all Festool, and one is a Bosch ROS hooked up to a cheap vac.

I really don't see that much difference in performance between them, both in terms of sanding efficiency and dust collection. The Festool gear however, cost more than twice as much and has spent a large proportion of its life in the repair shop. It was while it was in for repair one time that I had to buy the Bosch to keep me going.

I feel a bit like the little boy in the story of 'The Emporor's New Clothes'!:)

My Festool router and jigsaw are great though!

Cheers
Brad

Dan Clark
05-26-2007, 11:58 PM
Obviously, I'm biased. But that's normal once you have tried Festool tools.

The major difficulties with Festool are two-fold. First is the initial cost. They are fairly expensive. Many people have difficulty justifying the price or believing that that they are worth it.

The second difficulty is that once you get used to the quality, it's very difficult to buy other, lower priced tools. After a while, your perspective changes. You start thinking, "Hmm... It's normal for a tool to work they way it's advertised. It's normal for tools to feel VERY solid. It's normal for tools to produce little or no dust. It's normal for a vac to produce little noise and REALLY suck. It's normal for tools to work as a system.

Festool owners don't wake up every morning and think, "WOW, I have really great tools!" You just think, "I'll just use my normal Festool tools and get my job done."

Unfortunately the downside of this is that other tools start looking "abnormal". As in... "That's odd, the storage boxes don't snap together." Or, "You mean that circular saw doesn't have a guide rail?!? How very strange!" Or the ultimate, "Why is this tool making so much sawdust!?! It must be broke!"

I have an 2002 Audi. It's not the most reliable of cars, but after almost 6 years and 45,000 miles, the doors still close with a solid "Whumph" sound. There's not a single rattle! Not ONE! When I hop into my wife's Subaru, it still takes me a second to remember that the it's normal for the doors to close with a hollow "clung" sound. The Subaru is a VERY reliable car, but it just doesn't "feel" right to me now.

As they say... It's a slippery slope!

Regards,

Dan.

Bob McGovern
05-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Hi, James. After burning through two Dewalts, a Makita, and a Klingspor (Bosch DVS relabel); and after fighting loud Shop Vacs, lousy & staticky hoses, and ridiculous clip-on dust cannisters; I finally sprang for the Festool items. I might spend eight to ten straight hours bench sanding, & I have asthma issues. So buying up seemed appropriate.

I was surprised at the smoothness of the Festool 5" ROS. I got the little one because it is light and easy to work one-handed on edges. It's more comfortable than it looks, with multiple gripping positions. Very little vibration or noise, but it does bog down when pushing it hard or if the vac is turned way up. Its H&L pad lasts at least twice as long as the others, too, which will pay for the Festool upgrade on one year.

I also bought the linear sander, to save my elbows. It has made a huge difference in productivity and joint pain. Sands edges, rebates, and door frames a treat. It is noisy, tho, and the top handle somewhat limits hand positions. Still a terrific and rare beastie. (I wonder how long its bearings will live. Anyone have experience?)

Finally, the CE22 dust collector. It sits neatly under the bench, is half the racket of the Shop Vacs, and doesn't need filters cleaned twice a day. I didn't realize how much better it made life until my girlfriend observed I don't cough and hack anymore. And she's right. (The bags leak, tho, and using that rear filter cleaning handle is kinda pointless -- the dust just goes right back to the filter.)

Upshot: If you have extra dollars and desire the best, or if you sand or saw all day long & want quality results, durable tools, and good health, Festool is worth it. If woodworking is a weekend love affair, you might better spread the money around -- lesser quality tools, but a more versatile array of them.

It's Festool for me, from now on.

Gary Keedwell
05-27-2007, 12:26 AM
I don't want to be the only one that says it may not be worth the extra bucks, so I won't say it. With that not said, I have a bosch random orbit sander and when I connect it to my shop vac, I really don't get any dust that I can see. I outfitted my shop vac with one of the heppa filters, so I'm not blowing the fine dust back into the air. All together, I've probably got about $250 - $300 in the combination.

So I would like to ask, of those of you that think it really is worth the extra bucks, what are you comparing it to? Were you using something similar to what I'm using, and still think the performance is worth the extra outlay? If so, then they must be awfull nice and I may have to try one out.

Brian Walter
:rolleyes: $250-300 will not be enough money for the vacuum, alone.:D
Gary K.

Martin Shupe
05-27-2007, 12:46 AM
I am in the "yes" camp as well. A year ago, a woodworking buddy of mine came for a visit and tried out my Festool sander. He used it for an hour or so and was amazed! He liked it so much, he went home and bought his own.

The sand has less vibration than any other sander I have tried, and it has almost complete dust control. Two great reasons to buy one. I would buy another, no question.

Jim C Bradley
05-27-2007, 1:02 AM
Reg
I really like your Einstein quotation. Many years ago I read a science fiction novel by Heinlein. He told about machinery (rocket engines or some such) and how they became more and more complicated and finally became so complicated that very simple designs were made. Sound much like Einstein.
Enjoy,
Jim

Todd Jensen
05-27-2007, 2:30 AM
I haven't upgraded yet, but the guys I know with Festool sanders really love them. As far as the jigsaw, I only know one guy with one, and he hasn't been really impressed for the money, and the jigsaws don't throw up the same kind of dust as a sander. So, sander - yes, jigsaw - ? I was a bosch jigsaw fan for a long time, but after a recent theft I bought the new Dewalt and am impressed - stronger base, smooth cuts, and I don't have the # offhand, but it came with a particular incredible blade that cut raw stairtread framing and detailed cuts for days and days. To give you some idea, I generally am going through a Progressor blade or two a day. Good luck, and congrats on the future new tool(s). :)

Jim Mitchell
05-27-2007, 8:10 AM
I am in the slippery slope camp, I started with a sander and now own 2 ( and 2 routers, the jig saw,the plunge,saw guide rails and the multi function table). Everything has always exceeded my xpectations. Another consideration is the very well thought out storage system, everything fits together and in my limited space has made a big difference. Best of luck

Jim

Mike Cutler
05-27-2007, 8:30 AM
Lastly, near zero vibration. I could only use my old sanders for maybe a half hour max before my hand and wrist became numb from the vibration. With my 150/3, I can sand for hours (and have...) with zero physical discomfort.

That's what I've been wanting to hear. 250,000 miles on a bicycle over a 25-30 years has taken a toll on my wrists, and forearms.

Ken Milhinch
05-27-2007, 8:52 AM
Festool sanders are excellent, especially the Rotex. Dust collection is better than I ever thought it could be, so for this particular combination of Festool products, I say yes, they are definitely worth the money.

Jim Becker
05-27-2007, 8:59 AM
In my original post, I forgot to discuss the jigsaw. The Festool jigsaw is a nice machine...in fact, it was the first Festool I bought to get my feet wet, as it were. (Someone mentioned the slippery slope thing... ;) ) It cuts straight and true, even with a very long blade in very thick material. The cut line is a little difficult to see with the clear guard in place, so I generally forgo dust collection with that machine...yes, I know, but I need to see the line.

In the mean time, Bosch made some improvements to their jigsaw, such as the blade guides, etc., and at the present time, for that specific type of tool, I'd likely opt for the Bosch over the Festool because it does perform as well and is a bit more affordable, especially for a tool that I don't use much.

john tomljenovic
05-27-2007, 9:41 AM
One thing no one seems to mention about festool sanders is when you turn them off. they have some internal braking that helps them spin down real quick. as opposed to my porter cable RAS that spins forever after you shut the power so it can dance around the workbench, With the festool by the time I place the sander down the sanding pad has stopped. makes you realize the attention to these kind of details apart from just the great dust collection that make the higher price worth it.

John Seiffer
05-27-2007, 9:54 AM
And part of what makes any tool worth it is how you feel using it. I have some tools that are expensive (a festool jig saw is one) and I feel great using them because of it. I have other tools that are cheap or I got a bargain on and I feel great using them because of that. Go figure.

Gary Keedwell
05-27-2007, 12:54 PM
I've only had my Festool 150/3 and C22 for a short time...but so far it has performed admirably.;)

Gary K.

Chris Barton
05-27-2007, 4:30 PM
Festool makes some fine products. I have the AT55e and a MFT1080 with a variety of guides that is very nice. However, Festool seems to be a scared brand around these parts and I'm not at all certain that their sanders are any better than some other major brands when attached to a good vac. This seems to have been born out by at least one product review where the festool didn't come out on top. All that said, I don't think you'll regret a festool buy.

Eric Lewis
05-27-2007, 5:19 PM
I'm also in the market for a new sander, would you mind divulging where you saw the review. I'm not sure I can justify a sander/vacuum system that costs more than my table saw :)

Jim Becker
05-27-2007, 6:11 PM
This seems to have been born out by at least one product review where the festool didn't come out on top.

If it's the review I think it is...they apparently may not have uses the vac with the system when testing. I got that impression when reading it, but obviously could be wrong. The Festool sander sans CT would be similar in performance to the other upper-end machines outside of better lack of vibration. Cleaning the abrasives makes a huge difference which is why the combination is killer.

Michael Fross
05-27-2007, 7:33 PM
Will the festool rotex sander work with other vacuums? I'm happy with my porter cable shop vac and would wish to connect the sander to it.

Any issues?

Michael

Bob Marino
05-27-2007, 8:08 PM
Will the festool rotex sander work with other vacuums? I'm happy with my porter cable shop vac and would wish to connect the sander to it.

Any issues?

Michael

Yes, no problem at all. Depending upon the size of the PC's hose tool end, you may need an adaper to fit the Rotex.

Bob

Greg Funk
05-27-2007, 8:12 PM
I'm also in the market for a new sander, would you mind divulging where you saw the review. I'm not sure I can justify a sander/vacuum system that costs more than my table saw :)
FWW #185 reviewed palm sanders including the Festool ES125 ($165). The top rated sander was the Bosch/Klingspor 1295DVS ($70).

They tested all sanders with and without vacuum (Festool). The Bosch outperformed the Festool in scratch pattern (Excellent vs Good) and stock removal (13g vs 11g). Festool had less vibration (Excellent vs Very Good) and removed 100% of dust vs 90% for the Bosch. Makita B05012K($80) was equivalent to the Festool in Vibration and Dust extraction but didn't remove as much material (7g vs 11g).

Greg

Steve Rowe
05-27-2007, 8:16 PM
If it's the review I think it is...they apparently may not have uses the vac with the system when testing. I got that impression when reading it, but obviously could be wrong. The Festool sander sans CT would be similar in performance to the other upper-end machines outside of better lack of vibration. Cleaning the abrasives makes a huge difference which is why the combination is killer.

Jim - I thought they used a vac (not Festool) but more importantly they did not use the 9 hole Festool paper. Supposedly, they wanted to use the same brand paper comparing all sanders. Gee - I wonder why the dust collection didn't work right.:rolleyes: I thought the review may have been in FWW.

Steve

William Nimmo
05-27-2007, 8:28 PM
My rotex has not been collecting the dust that well. I figured I would check the bag on my ct mini, but it can't be full, I only use it for the sander and changed it recently, no way it could be full. HOLY CRAP, it was packed tight as can be and about 12 pounds. Thats lots of fine dust not making it to the air.
I absolutely love Festool.

Greg Funk
05-27-2007, 8:28 PM
Jim - I thought they used a vac (not Festool) but more importantly they did not use the 9 hole Festool paper. Supposedly, they wanted to use the same brand paper comparing all sanders. Gee - I wonder why the dust collection didn't work right.:rolleyes: I thought the review may have been in FWW.

Steve
The FWW test indicated they tested the Festool with both 8 and 9 hole paper. In any case they rated the dust extraction at 100% so I assume that means it didn't leave any dust behind.

Greg

Reg Mitchell
05-28-2007, 1:12 AM

Any issues?

Michael
I hooked mine to a shop vac Michale. That was the reason I had Bob send me the hose. It fits the sander and I adapted it to the shop vac.
Thanks Jim. As one gets older it seems things are getting too complicated. Simple in on the agenda for me
Reg

Randy Denby
05-28-2007, 2:29 AM
What would ya'll recommend for the "first ", good all around, Festool sander? And I am confused on the vac....does it come with everything? or do you order seperately, the hose, attachments. Also, how many filters come with the vac initially?
I was in Dallas saturday, visiting Woodcraft, and saw my first Festool tools...and Sawstop. And I thought I had everything I needed:rolleyes:
I will be purchasing thru Bob tho....nothing against Woodcraft, just feels right to support a highly respected man that helps out here.

Randy.

sascha gast
05-28-2007, 5:01 AM
well if you want "all around" sander, then the Rotex is it, it's afantastic machine, however, even then I know you'll get one of the ROS not long after that

Don Bullock
05-28-2007, 7:30 AM
Well, I guess there has to be one person that jumps in here who doesn't have a Festool. Recently, due to an unexpected problem with my old sander (40 year old Craftsman -- still runs BTW), I opted for the Bosch 1295DVS. At this point I just couldn't afford to buy a Festool (remember, I just bought a SS TS). I'm very excited about the Bosch and the job it's doing for me. For now, the Bosch is doing all that I expected and more on an oak mantle project I'm workig on, but I haven't had a chance to try to hook it up to my ShopVac. Right now, due to work and showing dogs most weekends, I don't have a lot of shop time. As soon as the school year is over I'll try out that combination and see if the sanding improves. I still, however, see the Festool sanders in my future.

Jason White
05-28-2007, 8:04 AM
Worth it.

TP

I am debating a festool sander and/or jig saw. The main reason being health and I do not like breathing dust. I have an air cleaner and I wear a respirator at least 75% of the time I am in my shop. I really want to avoid the fines produced by sanding. I cannot believe a festool would do a better job of sanding than any other, but if it is healthier and more comfortable I might could be pushed over the edge. I will definately only buy one so recommendations are welcome.

Bottom line is the sander and vac worth the $700 or so that it cost?

Per Swenson
05-28-2007, 8:40 AM
Hello All,

I tried to post this yesterday, but the new computer was still a little buggy.

Any now, I am baaack.

The one subject not touched on so far with the Festool sanders and why they

are worth every nickel is flatness and orbital pattern.

You can sit here all day and debate the 100 dollar sander with the 300

dollar sander and what's the 200 hundred dollar difference?

Nevermind the dust collection, that's a given.

It is the flatness which you won't even be aware of until

you start to finish. When knocking down Varnish's, epoxies, and the like

we are searching for the mirror or piano like finish.

That is what I get paid for. Most customers don't want to know from domino

or biscuit, dovetail or lock miter drawer box's. Nope. They just want pretty.

In the factory with monster sanders , finishing booths and automation

this is a non issue. In the small shop, I mean small like ours and yours,

the best I could hope for would be a air powered dynabrade sander.

Too bad I work in a suburban neighbor hood. Can't take that compressor

to the job at Mrs. McGillicuddys either.

So, with no real compromise what so ever, the electric Festool sanders

rival the big boys in the industry.

And in the end give a superior finished product worth every

penny of investment.

Long and windy hunh? I think this topic needed a little more
then dust collection.

Nice to be back.

Per

Joe Chritz
05-28-2007, 9:44 AM
I wasn't going to chirp in here either but I will anyway.

I recently, as in a few days, got a CT33 and TS55 circular saw combo.

The quality and ergonomics are first rate. The little touches are there.

Only you can decide is something is "worth" it to you, but I have used the two mentioned above and one sander. All are top notch machines.

Sometimes the extras are leather seats but sometimes they are power windows ,if ya catch my drift.

Joe