PDA

View Full Version : laser won't fire

Marc Myer
05-26-2007, 6:48 PM
Just my luck: Epilog support won't be in until Tuesday. How dare they take a break for a national holiday:rolleyes:?
I'm sure it's something minor, but my six-month-old Mini suddenly does everything but fire. Tried different files, different settings, took panels off and checked it for an obvious fault. The red dot laser works, just not the 'real' one.
I'm sure it's something simple. I'll slap my forehead and say, "D'oh!"
Anyone care to slap my forehead for me?

Frank Corker
05-26-2007, 7:19 PM
Marc, I'd love to smack your forehead for you. :) Okay, have you checked to see that the lid is closing properly and that the magnets in the upper glass are not being restricted. There are two of them at the side of the machine but should be visible, if they are restricted then the laser won't fire, same as though the lid was in the up position.

I'm assuming that you did wait for a short time for the laser to warm up and that the file did transfer to the laser. Also is it the same problem with both raster and vector, if it's vector only the vector lines might be lines and not hairlines. Sorry I know, basic stuff, but has to be suggested. If the pointer is showing then it is unlikely but not impossible that the 'real' beam is being restricted, follow it back as far as you can see.

Now the other thing that might happen is that the power supply may have tripped. In the helix where the rocker switch for on/off is located, there are two little levers which when there has been a power surge, it trips, try toggling those. If both are okay, there is another one located under one of the panels which houses the motherboard. Check to see if you can find one on your machine.

That's it, all I have..... sigh

Darryl Hazen
05-26-2007, 7:37 PM
Marc,
To continue Frank's comment, I had a similar problem with mine the other day. After checking out everything electronic I noticed that one of the two magnets in the lid was missing. The one closer to the front of the lid had fallen out of the recessed hole and had been caught by the other magnet. The magnet appeared to not have any glue holding it in. Hope that's your problem, that you find the magnet and get up and running again.

Peck Sidara
05-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Marc,

As Frank & Darryl suggested, it's likely an interlock issue. The 2 magnets are on the right side of the window (door). Make sure the magnets are in place and that the door is closed.

Additionally, you can check to see if the interlocks are working properly by removing the right side panel (mini right? I think the board's located on the right side). Remove the right side grey panel. With the machine on, there's alot of LED's. What you're lookin for is D10 & D11 (I think). It's a green and yellow LED. This is for the interlock switches. With the machine on and lid closed, both LED's should be on. When you open the door/lid both LED's should go off. If only one is working or if neither is on when the lid is closed and the machine on then you have an interlock issue.

If the interlocks are working properly then you should remove the left side panel. Once removed, look for the orange periscope in the back. There's a window (small 3/4" dia. glass peice) where the laser beam exits. Place a peice of masking tape over this opening but don't tape the tape directly onto the glass window. Run a quick job to see if you get a burn mark.
BE VERY CAREFUL HERE, STAY CLEAR OF THE LEFT SIDE AND KEEP LOOSE CLOTHING AND FINGERS CLEAR OF THE LEFT SIDE JIC THE LASER DOES FIRE.

If you get a laser beam at the window but not inside the engraving cabinet, then it's possible that:

The air-assist nozzle was inadvertently moved into the path of the beam. Turn the red-dot pointer on and see just how close the red dot is to the air nozzle. If it's very close, use gentle force and move the nozzle out of the way.

If that's not it, your laser beam alignment may be off from the red-dot pointer (not likely but possible).

Hopefully with one of our suggestions, you'll be back up and running shortly. I'll try to check back in later today but got some places to be today.

Good luck!

Bill Cunningham
05-27-2007, 8:00 PM
One of my magnets on the cover of my TT fell out a year ago.. I never found it, and the machine seems to work fine with only the one (on the left) magnet in place..I have had the side panel off, and looked all over the inside under the table, no sign of it anywhere.. The shop gremlins took it, the same ones that hide everything I put down lately..:rolleyes:

Marc Myer
05-28-2007, 1:41 AM
Thanks for the very helpful advice! Alas, I still haven't nailed down the problem. I checked the magnets and the LEDs; all good. I checked the raster and vector, neither is firing on several known good jobs. The red dot is working, but not the laser; I even did the tape test.
Guess it'll have to wait until Tuesday...

Mark Koenig
05-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the very helpful advice! Alas, I still haven't nailed down the problem. I checked the magnets and the LEDs; all good. I checked the raster and vector, neither is firing on several known good jobs. The red dot is working, but not the laser; I even did the tape test.

Awe... Take Memorial Day off like the rest of us :D ...

Too much work to do but I told "The Boss" (Wife) that today is off limits!!!

Well, now we are off to Lowes to pick up some lattice for here rose garden...

Dratt!!! Should have worked on the laser...;)

Jeanette Brewer
05-28-2007, 1:29 PM

Marc,

Randy Allen is calling your cell phone now. If there's a better number to reach you, leave a message at our office (817)460-8122 ext. 201 -- it'll page me and I'll have Randy call you back.

Mike Null
05-28-2007, 9:01 PM
Jeanette:

That's way over and beyond the call of duty. It seems to me people should know who you are.

http://www.engravingconcepts.com/

Marc Myer
05-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Fixed!
Thanks to all of you and Randy Allen, who called with some simple suggestions on stuff to try.
I'm thinking that when I tried to laser a too-thin piece of paper (I didn't place it on top of a thicker piece, and the auto-focus couldn't 'see' it), it may have reset itself to protect the tube?
Heck, I'm not sure. But after dismantling and testing, following your advice, and then simply unplugging the laser tube itself and replugging per Randy, it works again.

This kind of service from Jeanette and Randy/Epilog is way beyond what anyone would expect.

Of course, you guys and gals in this group are the best. Knowledgeable and generous, you are. Wish I could find a way to give back. Yes, I need to contribute to Sawmill Creek as well!

Frank Corker
05-29-2007, 5:09 AM
Well there you go! Glad it's up and running

Marc Myer
05-29-2007, 1:22 PM
P.S.
Epilog tech support called me at 3:30 am my time this morning. That means they started at 6:30 am Colorado time. Good response, if you ask me.

Ed Maloney
07-04-2007, 2:57 PM
Just in case anyone is around. My laser stopped firing this morning about 5 minutes into a job rastering acrylic.

I went through all the trouble shooting steps (from Peck) in this thread and I am not getting a burn on the masking tape that I placed over the "periscope". I checked the interlock LEDs and go on and off as expected when I open and close the lid.

I see the part of the solution was unplugging the laser tube. Well, I have the back panel off and I unplugged the power lead going into the tube. Still nothing. Anything else I should unplug or try?

Any on-board diagnostics I could run?

Ed

Marc Myer
07-05-2007, 1:21 PM
Have they got your problem worked out yet?
It's Murphy's Law at work: equipment malfunctions only on holidays :rolleyes: .

Ed Maloney
07-05-2007, 1:32 PM
Hey there Marc. Nope. I called Epilog and told them the steps I took to troubleshoot the problem. Once I described all that I did, Brian told me they are sending a new tube and I should get it tomorrow morning. What worries me is the alignment adjustments that I will probably have to do.

At least I won't be sitting on a long call with tech support today!

Thanks for asking!

Ed

Joe Pelonio
07-05-2007, 2:37 PM
Ed,

Don't worry, I've adjusted the mirror alignment twice and it seems harder than it is. Just allow an hour or two for it.

Ed Maloney
07-05-2007, 2:50 PM
Thanks Joe. So I assume no beer drinking while doing it? :D

James Stokes
07-05-2007, 3:00 PM
1 thing that helped me align my laser was to cut some 3/4 circles from poster paper. I put these over my lens. They showed where the beam was hitting real good.

Mike Null
07-05-2007, 3:15 PM
When I change my Universal tube I was finished in about 15 minutes. No other adjusments necessary.

Nigel Morgan
07-05-2007, 6:31 PM
My tube also does not fire up all the time, I presume its something electrical somwhere, I just press reset and start again and after a few times it decides to go. When the laser was new it would stop engraving halfway through a job, the beam just stopped firing, no one solved that problem, but it hs not happened for a while.

Bruce Boone
07-05-2007, 8:05 PM
From here, it sounds like one possibility is the cover interlock switch is intermittent. If it's an inductive switch, maybe the magnet is too far from the switch. If it's a mechanical switch, maybe a connection loosened with all the travelling.

Ivica Vasic
03-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Hello everyone.... i have the same problem with my laser 40w Epilog Helix! Won't fire! We sent the job ...pilog recived it but it wouldnt fire! Everyhting works perfectly...i checked all you ppl sudgedted ...but no luck!! Is it posible to check a electronics on tube and how and does anyone have or know where to find circuit sheme for epilog!

stacy imhoff
07-27-2017, 11:12 AM
I see this is a old thread, but I am in need of desperate help. I have a 40Watt Chinese laser. We have owned this for about 5 years and built a somewhat successful engraving business. My husband started it and I took it over 2 years ago. We usually have to replace the tube and power supply once a year. I have a new power supply and a fairly new tube. The machine is not firing. I see a beam in the tube, but nothing is coming out. My husband is usually the one that fixes any issues, but he is working 14 hours shifts right now. I have no idea how to fix this or what the issue could be? HELP!!

Bert Kemp
07-27-2017, 2:39 PM
you see a beam in the tube so the laser is firing,check the end of the tube for obstructions, check all mirrors for cracks, dirt what ever, Check lens and lens tube for cracks of obstructions

Matt McCoy
07-27-2017, 2:48 PM
I see this is a old thread, but I am in need of desperate help. I have a 40Watt Chinese laser. We have owned this for about 5 years and built a somewhat successful engraving business. My husband started it and I took it over 2 years ago. We usually have to replace the tube and power supply once a year. I have a new power supply and a fairly new tube. The machine is not firing. I see a beam in the tube, but nothing is coming out. My husband is usually the one that fixes any issues, but he is working 14 hours shifts right now. I have no idea how to fix this or what the issue could be? HELP!!

I would put thermal paper between the tube and first mirror, to see if you have any output. If not, you likely have a bad tube. If you have a nice circular mark, you can work your way around the alignment process.